Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Pistol and 9 Major

Hatchet Jack

I don't think I got to major- but PP is probably the hottest powder I've used for 9mm.

5.8gr with 124gr bullet got to 145 PF

6.0gr with 124gr bullet got to 150+PF

I made loads with 6.4gr but never chrono'd. They are hot with a bright flash!

I used Power pistol for a few months 3 years ago.

Made Major no problem 8.2gr. @ 1.16" with a zero 125JHP. Less pressure indications than True Blue, Or Silhouette.

Very soft feel with good gas volume, worked the comp well & a good consistent dot track.

Boomy, could feel muzzle blast in face. Left gun and C-More lens covered in Pink residue?

I like HS-6 and 3N37 better. I have settled on HS-6 for the past 3 years for my short Bedell with popple holes.

I used the 8.2gr load pushing Zero 124's at A2 a few years ago. I think it chronoed at a 173PF. This stuff is really loud and the blast is quite impressive. I changed to 3N37 because i shoot at night a lot and the flash was just too distracting. No pressure signs all the way to 8.7gr. in my TruBor. There are cleaner powders out there too.

I made major easily with no pressure signs at all in my 5" 2011. Don't have the load data handy but I started about midway in the printed data and worked up. I went into the upper 170's with no issue.

Was that with 115's Howard? I'm still looking for something with local availability, especially for the winter months and Power Pistol is another I can get without ordering it. :cheers: I'm still ticked I lost the Longshot data I dug up here. :angry2:

Hi Ryan,

Yes it was with 115's, you won't have any pressure problems with one of your barrels using them, I don't know about the other. I am very noise sensitive and I didn't notice any extra noise shooting it, nor any flash with JHP bullets. If you shoot indoor matches this time of year you might want to test a little, though I know I shot a couple mags indoors and didn't have any flash issues. It is no louder than Longshot, Silhouette or 3n-37.

Start low 7's with 115's and longshot, chrono up in .2 grain increments, and watch the numbers. Longshot will start to flatten out and then slow down. It never seems to get hinky pressure spikes like a lot of the other powders but I saw it slow down quite a bit with increased charges. It also gets dirty when it starts to flatten out. I got into the mid 170's with it and that is all it would do, no matter how much powder I put in. A full grain over the 174 PF load made 166ish in my gun and it was HS-6 dirty....

If your guns will run on HS-6 and you are willing to clean them often enough to keep them running use it. It is accurate, low pressure, THE softest 9mm powder out there and plenty consistent. It is FILTHY dirty though and a super tight gun just won't tolerate it. My gun won't run 3 rounds in a row with it still and it has over 35K rounds through it, but I have shot enough through other guns that will tolerate it to know it just rocks for dot track and soft shooting with 115's. You should be able to get HS-6 locally.

Thanks Howard.

I may give it a try here after the first of the year. There's an indoor match every other week about an hour from me and I try to go to one a month at least.

If your guns will run on HS-6 and you are willing to clean them often enough to keep them running use it. It is accurate, low pressure, THE softest 9mm powder out there and plenty consistent. It is FILTHY dirty though and a super tight gun just won't tolerate it. My gun won't run 3 rounds in a row with it still and it has over 35K rounds through it, but I have shot enough through other guns that will tolerate it to know it just rocks for dot track and soft shooting with 115's. You should be able to get HS-6 locally.

Yea, I can get HS-6 locally but you hit the nail on the head. It locks one of my guns up in 100 to 150 rounds. I had that happen at a local match. I had a reshoot along the way and gun locked up at the next to the last target on the next to the last stage. Killed a decent run when I had to push the slide forward to chamber the last three rounds. It would just stop fully to the rear and not even try. I took it apart and added a little oil and ran the last stage but still... :rolleyes:

• 5 years later...

My MP results

124gr X treme rn

1.160 oal

Mixed brass

Wsp

KKM 5" comp'd with a 2 ports up and on sides of exit port.

6.8 PP 1307 avg

Hi 1328

Low 1228

No pressure signs

Will report 7.0 & 7.2 soon