Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much crimp for Sierra 69gr/77gr SMK?

Albertl35

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the MG 55gn I have been setting the dillon crimp die to just kiss the rim of the case. Probably rings it in a couple of thousandths. I also trim evry time to keep this consistant but I'm probably giving up some accuracy but I just feel better about reducing the chance of setback. Any thoughts?

Mule

Dillon crimp die!

pull bullets until you make sure you are right at the edge of not denting the bullet, takes a few tries. Go to the point of denting, then back it off until you don't see or measure a dent but right at the ragged edge.

I used to run non-crimped in 3gun ARs, and had setback problems, not good with high rifle pressures, and it really affected accuracy. then I did a bunch of testing over the crono, accuracy, etc and zeroed in on the slight crimp being needed in ARs. Ended up with more consistentency over the crono, which translated to better grouping.

Also tested chamfering/deburring against a Dillon trimmer (which trims flat) and again was surprised, the Dillon trimmed brass was more accurate! But thats a thread drift...

The "no crimp" idea I believe came from bench type bolt guns, but not crimping AR ammo can really screw with things...You crimp a pistol round don't you? AR rifles feed basically the same as a pistol, stripping the top round off the mag, the bullet CONTACTS the ramp, rides up the ramp and hopefully goes in the chamber...

of course, YMMV...

jj