Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a 25 cent trigger job worth the effort?

badchad

Reading a few other threads I have heard people mention that if you just shoot your gun enough times (1000 or so shots I saw mentioned) it will work the burrs off the trigger in all the right spots and smooth everything out. So for a low volume shooter a polish job is worth doing, but if you shoot your gun a lot 1000 trigger pulls goes by pretty quick.

So I wanted to see if more experienced shooters think the above info is correct and/or if there were any long term advantages to breaking out the Flits and Dremel.

In my experience, yes, the Glock trigger pulls will smooth out a bit with use, However they will never get to the point you can attain, swiftly, with some minor polishing work. The best thing, I find, is to polish the trigger action first, then let that smooth out with use, so you get the best of both worlds.

Bear in mind, the sides of the striker will pick up some scratch marks over time, from the the sides of the cutout in the slide rubbing against them; this can actually up trigger pulls slightly. So it's not all "As you shoot it, it gets better." Occasionally going in and restoning/repolishing those scratches into oblivion is a part of normal maintenance, I feel.

The .25 center works best with a 3.5# connector in the mix. All you really get with the DIY work (for the most part) is smoothness. In my case what I hated about Glock triggers was not the pull weight. But the feel of dragging something across concrete. Grinding, gritty mess. A smooth trigger feels much better than a rough gritty one of the same weight. And like PB said getting in there and learning is a big benefit.

Jim

I have done it to every one I have owned, I used to get pretty anal about it until I figured out that it doesn't help to go crazy. Just lightly polish things and you are good to go. It takes a trigger that is truly terrible and makes it sucky but completely shootable. There is no way to get the suck out of Glock triggers, all you can do is make them shootable. After that I put some good sights on them, some grip tape and the gun was good to go, I really believe that most everything beyond this little bit of work is detrimental. Great guns, if you can leave them alone and just shoot them after a couple minor mods and tweaks.

Thanks all. Also, I was talking to another glock shooter and he said he would polish the hole in the slide that his firing pin safety moves up and down in. Does anyone know if that or polishing any other areas on the slide has any pros or cons?

Just smooth/polish the top and sides of the firing pin safety a little...that's where the improvement would be, not in the hole itself, IMO. All the customer trigger jobs from Sotello, Vanek, etc. polish this piece.

• 2 weeks later...

I polished the internals and it made a noticeable difference. Then I ordered a 3.5# connector, polished it and put it in. I didn't notice any difference other than an earlier breaking point and a longer reset. I like it more but it doesn't seem to be any lighter.

FWIW, the so-called 25 cent trigger job, if done right, is better than nothing. If you are a do-it-yourself type, rent, borrow or buy a DVD called "Making Glocks Rock". This will give you some really good information on what you should and should not smooth and how to do it.

Have you measured the trigger pulls with both the 5.5 and 3.5 connectors in place, using a trigger pull gauge or (my choice) an NRA weight wet? The 3.5 pound connector should make a significant difference.

No I haven't but I have had a couple different people try comparing my G22 without the 3.5 and my G17 with the 3.5. Both polished and I got results about half and half on which is lighter. I don't really think I could have done anything wrong. The reset and travel is the only thing I can tell a difference in it.

The problem w/the 25 cent is the engagement surfaces are stamped and ROUGH. If you polish them you wind up w/shiny rough surfaces. Look at them under magnification then get out the 400 and 600 grit wet dry sand paper and get the surfaces smooth. I do a final polish w/some well worn 600 grit sand paper. Don't be afraid to polish thru the nickel coating, in fact to do a good job it MUST be removed.

I normally shoot a 1911 with a very light trigger and hardly any reset pressure so I normally make sure the finger comes completely off the trigger. I have found that with a Glock if I apply the same principle of touching the trigger and pulling through until the gun goes off the bullet goes closer to where I was aiming. Same principle works for the revo just a longer reset.

Don't be afraid to polish thru the nickel coating, in fact to do a good job it MUST be removed.

I profoundly disagree.

I'll second the recommendation for the Making Glocks Rock DVD. One of the keys to getting smooth trigger pulls on a Glock, with the absolute minimum chance of screwing things up, is to polish out the roughness on the edges of the stamped parts while not cutting through the chrome, or actually changing the overall shape of the part at all.

Whatever works for you, all of my Glocks (6) have had such rough stamped parts and polishing would have only made them shiny rough. This will not produce a smooth trigger pull. My triggers run from 1 1/2 to 2 lbs and are smooth. They are also short as I have removed most of the take up.

I do agree about not changing the shape of the part.