Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Announcing the 2009 S&W IDPA Indoor National Championship

Craig- do you know how many people weren't able to get into this match last year? (Another words did it fill up?) I know a bunch of folks we shoot with are going to try to get online at noon but it may be a challenge.

Thanks for running this.

Edited by lugnut

Sorry, I don't have that data.

As best I recall, we had a few openings on Thursday, but Friday and Saturday were full. I wasn't really paying attention.

We thought a mid-day EDT weekend opening would allow the easiest access for the most people and allow all of our Stats team to monitor the server.

Craig

A lot more stages than last year. Cool!

Do we have any other details of the match?

Will it be similar to last year like this:

Match fee includes?

-commemorative shirt/coin.

-special events (Mickulek demo, S&W product shoot).

-tours (S&W, Springfield Armory).

-seminars.

-coupons to area restaurants.

-random door prizes.

-Banquet (dinner or finger food)& awards ceremony.

-Will stages be posted?

-Recommended hotel?

Thanks for being the Match Director Craig!

I know it will be great!

Great questions - they'll be answered when we post the additional match data and details on the web site. That will happen next week, but well before the registration date so people can make informed decisions.

Given the economy, our goal was to make the match a better value for shooters. We made a number of enhancements and choices to meet that objective.

1) A 20% registration cost reduction and a 50% increase in the number of stages represents a 50% overall price reduction on a per stage basis compared to last year. We didn't do this by shortening the stages, but rather different staffing and space utilization. The stage designs, round counts and lighting conditions will be mixed and variable. The lowest stage rd ct I've seen is 8 and the highest 18 (not including the 20+ rd Standards stage), with just about every other combination in between. The current designs put the total rd count at about 196 with the chrono, so that's about 14 rd/stage.

2) The online registration system saves the cost and hassle of shipping expenses. We've tested it at several State, Regional and 3-Gun matches - shooters really like it. It also adds transparency to the registration and squadding process.

3) Further, we thought hard about and decided to keep the half day format for weekdays. Shooters on the northern East Coast can drive in, shoot the match and drive home the same day if they wish - and shooters from outside the area have lower overall travel expenses (hotel stay, days off work, etc).

4) Bringing in the USCG Combat Arms Team to work with us is a tremendous enhancement. Thanks to the USCG CAT, shooters will shoot and SOs will SO - period. The USCG cadets will tape, reset, prep on-deck shooters and keep things moving. They'll also be designing and building a number of the stages. Our experience has been that shooters really enjoy their stages and working with the cadets. If you've been to the 2008 CT State match or CSS 3-gun competitions, you'll know what I mean. They are fantastic and we are lucky to have them. More about that - and some special events we have planned with and for them at this year's IDPA Indoor National Championship match - will follow on the website.

5) I think you'll also really like the door prize information that will follow.

We will not be posting stage designs before the match.

We hope all these changes convince some of our old friends to return and keep the new ones coming back.

Best Regards and we hope to see you in February.

Craig

Edited by Bones

In light (pardon the pun) of recent posts on this and related forums regarding the use, or restricted use, of flashlights, I can tell you that competitors will be required to shoot in a variety of modified and changing lighting conditions both with and without flashlights and/or auxiliary lighting devices.

We hope to see you there,

Craig

Edited by Bones

Craig-

When we talked in Oct at the Maine State IDPA Match it looked like the Indoor National Championship was going to to collide with the FL State IDPA match our club is running: apparently not. What better way for you and your crew to recover from running a major match in the frozen north than to come down to Tampa the following weekend and shoot our FL state match? We'll even let you guys work as SO's if you want to.

Seriously, I thought what you did to help the guys running the Maine State Championship was highly commendable, and am sorry I can't come to the IDPA Indoor Championship (same weekend as the FL ((USPSA)) Open) but hope you can make it down to our state IDPA match, (Note: rental cars down here DO NOT come with ice scrapers).

http://www.fwcdpc.com/statechamp09home.htm

Thanks Dan - the ME crew are great bunch and we're lucky to have them in New England.

...and to think we moved the Indoor Nationals dates just for YOU! You FL guys - like Mr. Martin - are so hard to please.

I was considering that very thing - going to FL and shooting your match the weekend after the Indoor Nationals, but will likely not take you up on the SO offer.

I may not know until the last minute though, as I have some business events happening around that time (I still really need to get paid every now and then) and I will get zero done the week before for obvious reasons. If there is space when I find out, I'll be there.

Best Regards,

Craig

Is there a limit to the number of shooters for the entire match ???

Yes.

We will end up with ~ 270 available slots for a total population of ~310 depending on the final structure and SO count.

Based on feedback over the last few weeks, we expect the match to fill quickly and are making provisions for a waiting list now.

There will be more data about further match enhancements to come in the next few days prior to the on-line registration start on Saturday 20 Dec 08 at 12:00.

Craig

Edited by Bones

... it's not as restrictive as it could be.

The outdoor IDPA Nationals requires (2) Major matches, and USPSA Nationals are much more so as well.

We discussed at length a (2) match requirement to be consistent with the outdoor Nationals but finally decided on the (1) match requirement for 2009.

The number of low and no light stages in this match add to the level of complexity and difficulty compared to some other outdoor IDPA matches, especially for those new to the sport. We wanted to take all reasonable measures to ensure everyone is well-prepared and the highest levels of safety are maintained.

Also, it is a National Championship. We made a number of conscious changes to certain policies and procedures to bring it more in line with that level of competition.

Further, we wanted to support all those who have supported the sport over the past year. The (1) Major match requirement allows folks who joined us last year to return.

We hope you get more involved in IDPA next season and choose to join us in 2010,

Craig

Registration opens tomorrow, Saturday 20 Dec 08 at 12:00. The website has been updated with additional information to assist you.

http://www.matchreg.com/sw/

If you are signing on at 12:00 be sure to refresh your screen often to pick a squad, as we expect heavy traffic.

Our registration and stats teams will be standing by to monitor the website tomorrow. Contact info is available on the website if you have any issues.

We are experiencing another serious storm in the Northeast tonight and into the day tomorrow. While we do not anticipate any problems, rest assured all registrations and payment records are time stamped. This data will be used to resolve any conflicts in the rare event they should occur.

We've brought back popular seminars by Jerry Miculek and Scott Warren - and added another to be presented by Team S&W shooter Dave Olhasso. More information on these, and other events and attractions, will be made available on the website as they are confirmed. These seminars are included in your registration fee and open to all registered competitors.

Our sponsorship team is also hard at work and has been very productive. We think you'll be impressed with their work.

To clarify some concerns that have been brought to our attention:

You must have a valid membership and Classification, along with evidence of participating in a sanctioned IDPA match after 19 Feb 2008, when you arrive at the 2009 S&W IDPA Indoor National Championship. For EX, SS and MM shooters, you must have a valid Classifier on record that was shot, or promotion via match performance that was completed, after 19 Feb 08. The IDPA HQ website will be used to verify all of these items (membership, Classification and Sanctioned match record). It is your responsibility to make certain these will be available on the IDPA website for the registration staff when you arrive at the match.

Stage designs will require competitors to shoot with and without hand-held flashlights on selected stages, with the option given on others.

All ammunition, magazines, speed loaders, moonclips guns and gear, and all combination(s) thereof, must meet all applicable power, size and weight restrictions as set forth in the current IDPA rulebook.

The current rd ct is 191 based on stage designs in their final stage of review. I'd bring at least 192.

This, and other useful information, will be routinely updated on the website. Please check it often.

The entire match staff are excited about this match. We're looking forward to seeing many old friends return and new friends made.

We wish you and your families the happiest and safest of Holidays.

Best Regards,

Craig

Edited by Bones

I was very skeptical how this registration process was going to work. I logged in at exactly noon and the entire process went smoothly. The system flat out rocks !! It should be a model for all matches in IDPA and USPSA. Register, pay and squad in a matter of minutes !!! What is not to love about that !!

See you in February!!!

I was very skeptical how this registration process was going to work. I logged in at exactly noon and the entire process went smoothly. The system flat out rocks !! It should be a model for all matches in IDPA and USPSA. Register, pay and squad in a matter of minutes !!! What is not to love about that !!

See you in February!!!

I had the same experience and would have to agree with it's future use. B)

Good job Criag!

Thanks to all who registered early and our fantastic Registration and Stats team - we are well on our way to filling. We had a few issues with PayPal and dial-up connections, but we resolved those with individuals as best we could.

The Friday and Saturday squads are full, but there are still slots left on Thursday. Thursday's a great day to shoot the match - everybody knows it never snows in New England on Thursday.

Thanks again for all the compliments. We're working hard on the stages and events to earn them on match day as well.

Best Regards,

Craig

Edited by Bones

Craig,

I did plan to be there, but I will take any load data you have for 4in 686 38spl.

Dennis

Thanks to all who registered early and our fantastic Registration and Stats team - we are well on our way to filling. We had a few issues with PayPal and dial-up connections, but we resolved those with individuals as best we could.

The Friday and Saturday squads are full, but there are still slots left on Thursday. Thursday's a great day to shoot the match - everybody knows it never snows in New England on Thursday.

Thanks again for all the compliments. We're working hard on the stages and events to earn them on match day as well.

Best Regards,

Craig

Edited by Dennis Sherman