Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best value in a 1911?

Revopop

I picked up an STI Sentinel (now discontinued) not long ago and, after shooting a few matches with it, I really like this gun. It comes ready to go out of the box with ambis, front and back strap checkering, adjustible sights, recoil master, etc.

I would opt for the S&W 1911 or the Springfield Armory.

So here's my story:

Sometime in the next year, I'm planning on buying a 1911. It will primarily be used for USPSA shooting, and I may occasionally carry it.

I have owned a S&W 1911SC and a Wilson KZ45. I currently own a 1911, it is a "parts gun", built by a USPSA shooter. I got it here on the forum classifieds. It is an Auto Ordnance GI frame built up with various parts, Caspian slide, genuine Bo-Mar rear sight, etc. It's a fine gun and it runs like a top, but I want something a little nicer.

What I specifically don't like about my current 1911 is minor. The Bo-Mar sight picture is great, but IWB carry is not an option. The sharp edges of the sight aren't compatible with my love handles. It has a duckbill grip safety, not the high grip style like the Ed Brown part. It has a poorly fitted barrel, the same one that originally came with the complete Auto Ordnance GI 1911. It's accurate enough for most things, but I need all the help I can get.

I'm willing to pay up for quality, but I want to get the most (pardon the pun) bang for my buck. I want a 5" 1911 with fixed sights that I can rely on in a match or on the street. Doesn't seem like too much to ask, right?

I also posted this on another forum that's more general in scope. I'm interested to see the differences in opinions of competition shooters who actually shoot their guns versus those of curmudgeons who spend a lot of time on the internet while polishing their old Colts. :rolleyes:

Edit to add: Looking for a single stack.

I personally wouldn't go with a Taurus.

Les Baer makes a real tight and sweet firearm.

I'm sure Les' guns are great, but they are $1000 more than the Taurus. The Tuarus isn't a competition ready gun right out of the box, but you can have a smith do a bunch of mods and still have money left over. You will have a hard time finding a better 1911 for the money.

For me the Taurus was a great place to start. Now that I'm addicted to the sport, I'm having a custom built 6" limited gun. If I were to go back to Single Stack, I would probably go after a more custom gun, but the Tuarus never let me down, and was a great shooting gun. You do get some funny looks from the 1911 snob crowd when you tell them you are shooting a Taurus.

I've decided to go with either a Springfield Loaded, a Kimber, or a Trojan. I'm scoping out several on the auction sites now. Didn't have any luck moving my trade fodder at the gun show on Sunday (apparently nobody told 'em there's a "gun buying frenzy" going on) so I'm going to list a couple on the classifieds after Christmas. If anybody's looking for an ugly Single Stack that runs like a top or a S&W Model 15 snub drop me a line.

I'm sure that Baers are awesome, but I just can't justify the cost. I think I'd rather have a solid 1911 with almost all the features I want, then when I'm in a little better financial place in a few years have my dream gun built and use the other as my backup. Thanks for all the good advice, guys.

I've decided to go with either a Springfield Loaded, a Kimber, or a Trojan. I'm scoping out several on the auction sites now. Didn't have any luck moving my trade fodder at the gun show on Sunday (apparently nobody told 'em there's a "gun buying frenzy" going on) so I'm going to list a couple on the classifieds after Christmas. If anybody's looking for an ugly Single Stack that runs like a top or a S&W Model 15 snub drop me a line.

I'm sure that Baers are awesome, but I just can't justify the cost. I think I'd rather have a solid 1911 with almost all the features I want, then when I'm in a little better financial place in a few years have my dream gun built and use the other as my backup. Thanks for all the good advice, guys.

Check out recent production of the Sig Sauer 1911's. Very well built gun and very accurate. Can be had for less than $900 with all the bells and whistles.

Kimbers have the series 80 crap in them ; the other 2 do not. The Springfields have a lock built into the mainspring housing but i don't think it affects the trigger and can easily be replaced.

Last year I needed/wanted a single stack gun in .40 for the Western States Single Stack match and I needed it in a hurry. I bought a Trojan, ordered new fire control parts and sent it to Matt McLearn for a trigger job and reliability package (it seemed to run perfectly in the little I shot it before sending it out). When it came back I put SV ambis on it and a Techwell. After all that I still have less in it than what a Permier II would cost and the Baer would still need some trigger work to have as nice a trigger and a magwell. It's extremly accurate and has been 100% in all the matches that I've shot with it. I could have spent twice as much money and gotten zero competitive advantage.

Is it as "nice" or "good" as a Baer or full custom? No. Will it make any difference for carry or competition? No. Something like a Trojan will be a step up from what you're using now and will be good enough to win any match anywhere if you do your part.

• 1 year later...

So I was going back through some of my old topics as I occasionally do, and I thought it'd be nice to give my perspective now that it's been a year and a half.

I ended up buying a used Kimber from Singlestack here on the forum. It's one of the older Clackamas-marked models, and he'd installed a front fiber optic sight, Techwell/Alumagrips, SV trigger with Enos Top Curve insert, Koenig hammer, and some skate tape on the frontstrap. I paid $850 for it. The only thing I've changed is that I switched out the SP Techwell for the Carry Techwell. I much prefer the look of it, but I also found that some basepads can get hung up on the magwell if there's no opening on the front. I friggin' love this gun, and I'll never sell it. Ever. It's in need of a refinish, as it has a ton of holster wear, but I've never had a single malfunction, and it's on my hip in an IWB holster as I type this. I've got a Colt CCO for carry now, but if it weren't so heavy I'd only carry my Kimber because I trust it absolutely.

So, bottom line, a nice production 1911 was the right choice for me. If I'd saved up for a Baer, I'm sure I'd be happy with it but it would've taken me a helluva lot longer to get into the game. Maybe someday I will, thought I'm so happy with my current Kimber that if I get another full size 1911 I'd be more likely to get a full custom built just like I want it. I looked around and did a lot of research until I figured out what I wanted, narrowed it down to 3, then looked for the best deal I could find. I was open to a Kimber, Springfield, or Trojan. You don't see a lot of used Trojans outside USPSA circles. There were plenty of Springfields to be had, but at the time I actually had money to burn all of them that I found were either overpriced or poorly "customized" mil-specs and GIs. The thing that put me over the edge on the Kimber was that it was ready to race. Because I bought it used from a USPSA shooter, it already had a good trigger, good sights, and a magwell. As such, I've felt no need to add or change anything. I hit the ground running when I started to shoot Single Stack, and overall I couldn't be happier. :cheers:

I'd disagree with the Baer. It is a very nice gun but, IMO, you can buy just as good a gun much cheaper.

STI Trojan from Brazos, with the performance upgrade package. Add on a magwell and FO and you are good to go for about $1300.

Mine hasn't skipped a beat in the first 3K.

That said, my older SS gun is a series 1 Kimber that I probably have about $850 in with FO sight, magwell and many new parts inside.

I believe the best value is either the STI Trojan or Dan Wesson Pointman - excellent triggers right out of the box, very accurate and reliable, both have undercut dframes - the STI a bit more undercut than the DW, the DA has a checkered frontstrap while the STI has a scalloped frontstrap - both provide good gripping surfaces, the DW is stainless while the STI is blue, and the DW has a full slide rib.

Hi Glockopop, I believe that a good option for a 1911 A1 is the GI model from Springfield

Armory. It is a good solid 1911 A1 and you should not be disapointed with this purchase.

I viewed all the different selections from Springfield Armory @ the NRA convention last month

In Charlotte. I was very impressed with their rather large inventory and their custom built 1911

Series. This is the opinion of myself and several other gunsmiths.

I built a 1911 (classic) in 2006 out of frustration with the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, as

I could not buy a new 1911 from any manufacturer there? . I now live in the Greensboro area of

North Carolina and on Hilton Head South Carolina. I now feel free from all the horrible

restrictions of my time in the Commonwealth. I then purchased a frame and slide from

Caspian, purchased the best pieces available from Wilson, Brown, etc. I built a custom 1911 for

Myself and was a good investment. The 1911 is the classis model built on John Brownings

Original design. I love it! Caspian Frames and slides are guaranteed for life against cracks and

any other damage that may occurs . It is the very best and the stardard for most custom 1911's.

Good luck with the decision making process!

Stephen

Sergeant First Class, Retired (Medical) US Army

• 1 month later...

I know what you mean about the Kimber. I have a Classic Stainless I bought in 2000 for $700.00. I have used it exclusively for my sidearm when I was a peace officer. I too trust it with my life. I carry it concealed in a Galco Royal Guard, horse-hide, in-the-waistband holster. It rides very well, conceals very well, and I got used to it in no time. I was on the range for annual qualification with our county judge. He has a Wilson Combat he paid over $3000.00 for. I shot his, and he shot mine. His was a good shooter. He told me he had two Kimbers in the past, but both were plagued with problems that he could not get resolved through Kimber. They were the series II models. He stated that if either one of his Kimbers had shot like mine, he would never had bought the Wilson. I agree that after they get worn in, they are slick and precise! I love mine, and will never sell it! :excl: Congratulations on the "new to you" Kimber! :cheers:

I'm sure the Baer is a great 1911, but if you have a Kimber you really like, keep it. They (pre-series II) are great guns, highly accurate, and highly reliable.

Stay safe,

Jim

It's in need of a refinish, as it has a ton of holster wear, but I've never had a single malfunction, and it's on my hip in an IWB holster as I type this.

Post a picture of that pistol!

Edited by North

I'm starting to think that the Springfield TRP has a lot going for it. STI has some nice guns if you want a ramped barrel.

I really like a checkered frontstrap, and it seems to take $1200 or so to get into a gun with that. Fortunately, the other goodies come along with the more expensive gun, too.

I'm getting into this late, but just wanted to give my .02 worth. I have had a a LB Prem II w/acc. guarantee since the mid 90's and I have never been disappointed. I have a custom build 1911 that I shoot more just because it fits me better. My wife just got a S&W per.ctr. 1911. We've only put 100 rounds or so through it, but seems to be worth the money, and she thinks it is "pretty".

Any of these are heads above the Colt combat elite I started out with.

Sounds like you know the features you are looking for. The pistol smiths guild might be a good place to get info about custom builds.

Good luck with your quest.

It is interesting to go back and re-read some of one's old threads. Reading this one for the first time, and I thought the above line was the most interesting of the whole thing. I don't think a full custom gun is completely necessary, but there are huge advantages to customizing a gun from the start to fit the shooter and their needs. It's fairly rare to see someone shooting SS regularly with a 1911 NOT altered or customized in some way. If I ever get another 1911, it will be a cheap but solid rame and slide and built with parts to my needs not what the manufacturer views as the right combo.