Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Virgin Brass for matches?

Steve Anderson

Do you guys/gals use NEW brass for matches?

I have my first couple of biggies coming up and may need to call starline.

I've never had a brass-related failure and shoot minor 9mm, but I plan to err on the side of starline.

Plus, I've been bad and do not have my brass seperated by brand or "times fired."

Maybe some once fired brass of the same headstamp would be OK?

SA

A lot of shooters use new brass.  The idea being that the extra expense is worth it...small price to pay when you figure in transportation, lodging, food...whatever.  You don't want to have a bad piece of brass screw up your match.

I think a shooter ought to use their brass at least once.  This proves the brass in your gun...lets you have a chance to see if it is out of spec...if it doesn't have a primer hole...etc.

I use commercially prepared once-fired. However, I think at the Open Nats last year I used new .38 Super +P brass because my foo-foo gun has a tight chamber and is picky. It was either new or once-fired in my gun only.

Even if you use new brass, go through the size/deprime step.

The important thing is to gauge each cartridge when done.

I'm with Flexmoney. I've had enough defective new cases that I wouldn't want to shoot a major match with them.

I have a case of Win 38 Super +P that has a few that are too long and won't chamber in my open gun. I've found maybe a dozen out of 4000 so far and in fact first encountered the problem in a club match.

...which reminds me I still have a couple thousand to sort out yet.

I only will shoot new brass in a big match. I have seen jams caused by bad brass. Why let $29 lose you match. You are probably spending $300-1500 on the match. Brass wears out and new is more accurate.  Its more critical with a racegun than a stock gun but......

I always shoot the brass through my gun first.  I go with the theory that if it cycles through the gun once, it should work twice.  I inspect all the cases thoroughly before and after loading my match ammo.  I don't chamber check, instead I cycle every round through the gun (I have a cut off firing pin, just in case the trigger goes click... not bang).  I've had some new cases that were too long and didn't go into battery.  So, that's why I fire the brass at least once.  I'll be using Armscore 38 AP 2-3 times fired brass for the Nationals.

Wow. I was expecting a lot of -  

"You idiot, why would you not use brand new brass for a big match..."

I bought a bunch of starline 9mm +p when I first started reloading and it was fine...the stock Beretta chamber is not exactly finicky...

I think I'll get some starline and run some chrono and accuracy tests which will also test function.

Thanks Guys.

SA

Depends on the importance of the match.  for local stuff, I just run regular brass  thru a Dillon gauge, and check it visually.  for big matches, I shoot ONCE FIRED brass of the same make and lot if possible.  I shoot it first to be certain it has no problems, them clean it and hoard it till the next big match.

When people talk about working their brass, I think it is not practical to work brass for any action pistol event like a bench rest guy works his brass, but you have to weigh the time versus the importance.

If it were me (shooting 9mm), I would buy some Winchester Val-pak from Walmart at $11/100.  I'd shoot that ammo once at my Wednesday night practice session and collect the brass.  Once fired out of your gun, decent quality, cheap...

I'm with Brian.  I'm shooting the Steel Challenge with new brass.

Everything else, once fired roll sized from

http://www.competitionbrass.com

After loading, checked with a Dillon Stainless Case Gage, boxed and inspected for primer seating.

I would feel very comfortable shooting a major match, but I think that the extra $ 29 is well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

I HAVE USED MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF 38 SUPER BRASS, FIRED MANY DIFFERENT TIMES. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH A ROUND THAT HAS GONE THROUGH A DILLON 38 SUPER GAUGE. A POINT TO REMEMBER THAT IN BIG MATCHES YOUR BRAND NEW BRASS STAYS BEHIND!!

• 1 month later...

Never shot new brass in competition (couldn't afford it) but I always checked my ammo (45ACP and 38Super) in match barrels the day before a match. That way I knew it would function and I got to inspect all the primers at the same time. Once I shot a local match with nothing but split case ammo rejects and never had a problem.. I have had problems with new brass and some once fired brass (stuff had been fired in a full auto sub. gun) that was bulged so much it couldn't be resized!

• 2 weeks later...

Quote: from BSeevers on 4:58 pm on Aug. 15, 2002

I only will shoot new brass in a big match. I have seen jams caused by bad brass. Why let $29 lose you match. You are probably spending $300-1500 on the match. Brass wears out and new is more accurate.  Its more critical with a racegun than a stock gun but......

how is new brass 'more accurate' than fired brass?

i have run all sorts of tests on my brass -- and while i do a fair amount of prep work on my brass (primer pocket uniforming,  primer pocket hole deburring and primer pocket hole size uniforming), i can't figure out why new brass would have any effect on accuracy.

please help. i am sure i must have overlooked something obvious...

ggruber

I hope you are talking about rifle brass. I barely can reload 20-40K rounds a year much less do that kind of prep. :) I was referring to 38 Super and most pistol brass that shrinks and headspaces on the case mouth. So new is more accurate since it is longer, more uniform and consistant. As you know one of the keys to accuracy is consistant components.

I've experienced way too many problems while shooting but not once has it ever been the fault of my 1 penny a piece brass.  It may be different for guns other that .40 major but I've never had a problem.

Make sure that the brass ain't cracked and the primer is snug and you shoud be fine.  There's lots of other stuff worth worrying about more.