Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire Steel Revolver

steveyacht

Yep, a bunch of us around this area (central Iowa) are shooting 617s at our local steel matches. Now that colder weather is here, we're also shooting "pin top" (heads cut off bowling pins) matches at the indoor range. Fun stuff!

The Model 617 is a K-frame with a 10-shot cylinder. I like the 4" version personally, but you see quite a few 6" guns around. Mine has an action job and aftermarket sights (Millett target rear and SDM fiber-optic front)--that's it. The other accessory that is a must-have for the 10-shot .22 revolvers is a set of the great DS-10 speedloaders made by Dave Skrzela: http://www.msnusers.com/speedloader These things work great, and make the whole experience of using the 617 about ten times more fun!

Years ago, long before the S&W "hi-cap" .22 revolvers were available, I shot a lot of steel matches with an old Hi-Standard Sentinel 9-shot revolver. Although a little primitive compared to a 617, it worked surprisingly well.

Two of us campaigned 617's this year at the Steel Challenge and I expect to see more next year. Like Carmony said a good set of sights and a trigger job with those wonderful speed loaders and you are off to the matches. Have fun.

Edited by jmax

...and when you order the speedloaders, toss in a couple extra bucks for the loading block- well worth the minimal cost.

One of my favorite guns in the safe is a 10-shot 617 with DS-10-speeds, loading block, etc. and an SDM front FO sight with a Millet rear sight (which I may change out for an LPA rear)

My dad will now be using a 317 kit gun with a cmore. It's pretty weird to shoot with the 2 inch barrel and aluminum frame... very light. The speed loaders just came for it today.

Can't wait to see it in action at the pin top matchs.

You guys going to be able to make it on Tuesday?

As for the 617, a certain dremelsmith let me borrow his for a bit and it is a hoot to blast pintops with. BTW the sights were hitting pretty on for me Mike, a bit higher than the sub-sub six hold my High Standard has but nothing too out of line so I didn't move them around. I pulled a couple mid 4 runs with it but most were in the low-mid 5sec range :(.

...I must say it's certainly on my short list of things to pick up.

Edited by needknees

I have used my 8 3/8" 10 shot 617 at several steel matches. I have had most of the excess weight machined off of the barrel. The under lug is gone, the sides are slabbed and two quarter round cuts were made along the sight rib. This way I have the sight radius without the weight penalty. It weighs less than a stock 6" gun. Even so, it is still difficult to keep up with the .22 autos. I keep a log of my times on the various Steel Challenge stages and it doesn't take a lot of work to post better times with my Buckmark auto. You just have to love shooting revos.

...I've been eyeing the 10 shot aluminum cylindred M-17. Are there any serious drawbacks to the aluminum cylinder?

I've not seen the aluminum cylinders before.

Are the aluminum cylinder notches aluminum or do they have hardened steel inserts?

If aluminum I wonder how they would wear long term.

BadShot recently got one with the aluminum cylinder, and has already shot several steel matches with it.

Looks to me like it's working just fine.

Mike, how much can you take off the hammer on a 617. Dave and were just discussing this Saturday at the steel match.

BadShot recently got one with the aluminum cylinder, and has already shot several steel matches with it.

Looks to me like it's working just fine.

Mike, how much can you take off the hammer on a 617. Dave and were just discussing this Saturday at the steel match.

Hey Cliff,

To help with your question, Randy Lee told me that a light hammer doesn't work with rimfire like it does with centerfire. He said don't take weight off the hammer. I backed off the strain screw and thinned the rebound spring on my 617, its better but no where where near my ICORE gun.

I used it to place 15th in 2006 at the Big Show. Stock 617 6" with the lightened trigger and a C-More. If you do use one here's a tip to keep the RO's and the rest of the squad happy, between runs just dump the whole cylinder and refill. I was trying to keep the unused rounds and only dump the spent ones. It was a bit time consuming and got comment or loud sighs on almost every stage.

I used it to place 15th in 2006 at the Big Show. Stock 617 6" with the lightened trigger and a C-More. If you do use one here's a tip to keep the RO's and the rest of the squad happy, between runs just dump the whole cylinder and refill. I was trying to keep the unused rounds and only dump the spent ones. It was a bit time consuming and got comment or loud sighs on almost every stage.

I just dump it all into a coffee can and sort out the live rounds after the match.

Me and a Bridgeport.

I am a carpenter w/acces to metal cutting tools and a dremel - scary combo..

I had a feeling that was the proper answer.... nice work Paul!

I will also +1 on the dump them all and sort later- one of the Ishot pouches works well, or something along those lines (you can attach it to your belt....)

Hey Cliff,

To help with your question, Randy Lee told me that a light hammer doesn't work with rimfire like it does with centerfire. He said don't take weight off the hammer. I backed off the strain screw and thinned the rebound spring on my 617, its better but no where where near my ICORE gun.

I've heard the same thing about taking weight off the hammer not working well with rimfires. But for the life of me I can't figure out why that would be. One of these days I need to experiment with that. But for now, the hammer on my 617 is unaltered and the trigger pull is smooth but fairly heavy.

Hey Cliff,

I've heard the same thing about taking weight off the hammer not working well with rimfires. But for the life of me I can't figure out why that would be. One of these days I need to experiment with that. But for now, the hammer on my 617 is unaltered and the trigger pull is smooth but fairly heavy.

Anybody want a lightened K-frame hammer for their 617 (late style firing pin)? I 've got one I took out of mine (617-6).

I have shot my 8 3/8" 617 at several Steel Challenge matches this year. I have had almost the entire underlug removed, the sides of the barrel were milled flat and I had two quarter round cuts milled down both sides of the rib. (Sorry no photo) The net result is that it weighs less than a 6" gun but I still get the sight radius advantage. I've been pretty competitive against the autos with this setup. I do have a lightened hammer. FWIW the most sensitive .22 LR ammo that I have found is Sellier & Bellot Rex. It seems to have the softest brass around. Easy to dent. The downside to this ammo is that you have to make sure that your chambers are really polished or the rounds will stick when you try to extract them. My gun runs 100% reliable with the Rex.