Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Open Gun ?

DanM

I might be able to pick one of these up CHEAP and I'm pretty tempted. How hard is it to get big sticks for these? Any other tips or hints at things to look out for?

Edit: How tough is it to rebarrel one from .38 Super to 9mm?

Edited by DanM

Caspian HiCaps work fine - KC & Travis from the Army like them a lot. With the old mags you just had to check your feedlips with a caliper & might have to adjust them a couple times a year. If you drop the mags on the ground with more than 4 rounds left in the mag, those adjustments will be more frequent.

The best big sticks are welded up from standard mags. Jim Anglin is probably a good way to go for that. He's also mentioned a lot as a good 9mm Open builder.

Before you buy the gun, ask to field strip it. See if the barrel link is stretched [a very cheap fix] and then see if the frame-hole for the slide-stop pin is stretched or out-of-round [a very expensive fix].

This is true for any semi-auto but if the upper parts seem loose - the slide rattles or the barrel hood can be pushed down - that does NOT mean the gun must be inaccurate. Just shoot it. If the gun groups nice then you're good to go. Many old guns are still locked up very consistently when the hammer is down; before I sold it my Caspian still grouped inside an inch at 25 yards even though it rattled with the hammer back.

:surprise:

Ive done mags for KC,Travis and Caspian.

Its a time consuming process,LOTS fo polishing and tweaking.

Just welding two mags together wont get it, I have a jig that holds the mags straight

and I use stainless to weld them its stronger and doesnt crack. :blush:

Jim/PA

Sailors :wub:

Another vote for jims mags. I got one from him a while back. It exactly fits the mag guage, runs flawlessly and holds 29 rounds of 9mm with some room(brass case-pro'd)or 30 rounds of super comp.

For what he does to the mag he is extremely reasonable. As for the short mags as long as the dimensions on the feed lips are right they just work.

The only thing to watch out for might be if there are still any first gen frames out there. They had a tendency to crack across the trigger tunnel. Other than that shoot and enjoy.

Peter Adams

FY-39604