Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Tip

zhunter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an update, after returning to the dark side and dryfiring I decided to experiment a little more. Normally I dryfire with 140 mags loaded with dummy rounds but since the majority of open shooting is done with a 170 I decided to use a 170 mag loaded with dummy rounds. Wow, what a difference!! The bigstick creates a totally different balance. I even learned a little trick for weakhand draws.

I guess the bottom line is quality dryfire practice simulating actual conditions is the way to go. :cheers:

• 2 months later...

I transitioned about a month ago from using empty mags to using "blue mags" I think the blue mags are two heavy. It seems like they simulate a .40 mag with 15 rounds or a 9mm mag with 17 in it rather than 10 which is a difference. I going to try dummy rounds compared to the blue mags and see what feels more real. :ph34r:

I agree the blue mags are on the heavy side. I really need to weight one of them compared to a loaded up 140 magazine and see if there is a difference.

I too have been using Steve Andersons book and I have not been dropping mags lately at all. I do take a mag from my belt and load it "after" hitting the mag release to simulate dropping a spent mag.

• 3 months later...

Someone at a match mentioned the need to practice with loaded (dummy rounds) mags. When I did I found out why I always had to adjust my mag holders during a match. I was dry fire practicing with empty mags, but not any more.

The difference in the weight between the empty and full mags caused the holders to need a different tension.

Might be obvious to most and should have been to me, but I'm a newbie and will claim that as my reason.

A lot of stuff.

And if you want to be good, you're going to have to learn to love it. ;)

The fastest improving shooters I have ever seen have always looked forward to dry firing. Shit...when I was someplace without my gun, I'd air gun a lot...and yes I got some funny looks but who cares, I'm on a mission. ;)

I don't know about you but I hate that dry fire stuff. What could be more boring?

Losing club matches strikes me as a bore. Spending four hours and $100 in ammo, gas, and membership fees also hits my bore meter.

If that is how you feel, then keep on keeping on. I will continue to practice the fundamentals for free at home.

Range time = fun time

Match time = fun time

Dry fire = borrrring

Maybe that will change sometime soon. I'm pretty new to pistol shooting and love the local matches. Learned a lot so far from the matches, this site and others.

Any tips for making dry fire at home a little more interesting?

Oh yea, just started reloading and still haven't bought a timer yet.

TIA

Range time = fun time

Match time = fun time

Dry fire = borrrring

Losing = feel like crap till next match.

Winning = feel great till next match.

Personally I enjoy dryfire. Sometimes life fire seems terribly inefficient. Stopping to reload? I mean really.

Range time = fun time

Match time = fun time

Dry fire = borrrring

Maybe that will change sometime soon. I'm pretty new to pistol shooting and love the local matches. Learned a lot so far from the matches, this site and others.

TIA

Ya, drink. :P

• 2 weeks later...

You guys might already do this..but..I always break a dry fire shot before I do my dry fire reload..it just seems to get me moving quicker as it is what we do in live fire before reloading...anyway I just had not heard anyone mention that so I thought I would bring it up...I also use dummy rounds in my mags...

Range time = fun time

Match time = fun time

Dry fire = borrrring

TIA

I only dryfire about 15-20 minutes a day in the morning alone while having a cup of coffee. I can't do the one hour sessions like some people. I also use 1/2 siz targets and 5 inch paper plates. I put them up on my garage doors in a different arrangement every day. This seems to help the boredom part.

It takes a little while to feel/see the improvement but it will help your game.

Oh, by the way I improved 30 percentage points last year in open division.

Shit...when I was someplace without my gun, I'd air gun a lot...and yes I got some funny looks but who cares, I'm on a mission. ;)

I do it on the treadmill at the gym, talk about weird looks!!!!!

But who cares. If they figure out what I am doing, GOOD, they won't bother me :D

Shit...when I was someplace without my gun, I'd air gun a lot...and yes I got some funny looks but who cares, I'm on a mission. ;)

I do it on the treadmill at the gym, talk about weird looks!!!!!

But who cares. If they figure out what I am doing, GOOD, they won't bother me :D

Tried that, kept spilling my beer, so gave it up........ :surprise:

I do lots of Dry fire..take note it's cheap..Live fire cost you a fortune everytime! I do 70% Dry fire and 30% Live fire and I improved dramatically in less than 8 months of shooting open division.