Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&W Single Stacks

BillGarlandJr

I'm thinking about getting a single stack in .40 S&W. At this point I am leaning towards an STI Trojan, which I have heard and read many good things about. However, one thing I have read is that the Trojans do not feed factory length .40 ammo reliably....apparently they like longer OALs like my old Edge used to. Loading longer ammo isn't too big a hassle, but I would like to have the option of shooting factory ammo since I occassionally have access to some.

So, based on other's experience, will the Trojan actually feed factory length ammo ok, and if it does not is there a way to get it to? Or would some of you steer me towards something else (preferably in the same price range)

Thanks for your input.

I think if you got mags with spacers in them like the Tripp mags, you should be able to run factory length ammo reliably in the Trojan. But the Wilson's seem to have a problem loading the first round. I have had some issues with the 47 and 47NX loading the first round when loading with 8-9 rounds in the mag. But I am countering that with a OAL at 1.230".

G-man- what say you?

Just bought a used .40 Springfield 1911 from a forum member that feeds 1.135 and 1.185 with no problem whatsover.

Ditto this on my Trojan. It doesn't like anything longer than 1.185", though...

My Trojan also is short throated and will not accept longer loaded ammo. I have been shooting Atlanta Arms ammo out of it for a while now and have not had a single feed problem out of it with the .45ACP Wilson mags I bought from Brian Enos. I just recently ordered 3 more with extended base pads to better accommodate the SV magwell I added and they ran all weekend flawlessly. Now my gun does NOT like the Chip Mc mags and I have not tried any of the .40 mags from Tripp. With the Wilson mags I can start with 9 without having to "barney" one.

I LOVE my Trojan and wouldn't consider selling it ever. I have and have had many single stack guns, it is one of my favs out of all of them I have ever owned. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

BTW, mine will not accept the 1.185" ammo that I run in my Edge. I have plans to send it to get throated so I can run my handloads in all my guns.

How is that 1050 treatin' ya?

Better than any wet dream I've ever had!

I owe you a beer!

I ran my Trojan for the first time Saturday and it ran great with factory ammo, the mixture of mags I was using didn't work well at all but the gun was perfect.

Yeah, I think it is more of an issue of what magazines you use rather than the gun....

Now that I think about it, the OEM mags have a spacer in them and shorter loads ran good with them. They just don't have removable basepads....

Edited by Rocket35

When I got my Trojan .40 I ran a bunch of WWB through it with the factory mag (spacer in the rear) and it was absolutely 100%. Granted, that was only about 500 rounds or less, but it didn't malfunction once.

It was also short throated, a little, but my one handload with MG 180 FMJs at 1.19" seemed to run as well. When it went out for a reliabillity package and trigger work the chamber was finish reamed for long ammo.

Using 1.20-1.25" ammo it's been fine out of Wilson 47NX, Tripp system mags and McCormick 10mm mags. At shorter lengths it would feed and run nearly 100% but every once in a while, only from slide lock, it would hang up on the feed ramp and I'd have to bump the slide or slightly retract it to get it to go. In fact, I don't ever recall this gun not feeding....ever...except for from slide lock. The cure is just to load a little long or put a better, aftermarket barrel in it. Matt McLearn told me that when he measured them, the feed ramp on STI barrels is a little bit farther forward than a quality aftermarket barrel from KKM, Schuemann, Nowlin etc. This doesn't seem to be any problem at all using factory length ammo and the mags with spacers in them, but will pose a problem with some guns using long ammo and 10mm spec mags. R,

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

So, it sounds like the Trojan will run with factory length ammo for the most part. As far as mags go I'm looking at either Wilson's or Tripp's. What I'd really like is a mag that will allow for reliablity in feeding factory ammo or long loaded ammo. Will either one of these fit that bill?

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

So, it sounds like the Trojan will run with factory length ammo for the most part. As far as mags go I'm looking at either Wilson's or Tripp's. What I'd really like is a mag that will allow for reliablity in feeding factory ammo or long loaded ammo. Will either one of these fit that bill?

I had better luck with the Wilson 47NX than the Tripp System mag (made to work with the Techwell XT). I'm not sure if Tripp has released their newer generation mag in .40 or not, but it might be worth a try. Actually, the McCormick 10mm mag was about as good as the Wilsons, but I didn't want to mess around making spacers for the basepads to get them to work with the Techwell, so I just bought a bunch of Wilsons and put the .625" DE style basepad and then trimmed them to fit the box. R,

My Trojan won't feed from the Wilson's at 100% reliability with factory length ammo. I am testing some loads today at 1.200". I tried some loaded to 1.230" yesturday and those proved to be too long with the factory STI barrel.

I have 14 Tripps mags, they all work great. But as a general rule, I use my Limited gun handloads. I have used factory ammo without any problem. But my gun is a Wilson Frame and Kart barrel.

I have a Trojan in .45 whch is very very accurate. But I have replaced everything except the frame and slide. Even Bart had Matt McLearn work on his gun.

You will save more money in the long run by upping the quality of your gun.

Even Bart had Matt McLearn work on his gun.

True, but it did seem to be running fine before I left it with him. I only put a couple hundred rounds (something less than 500 I think) through it like that, but I don't recall a single malfunction....really had me wondering whether I should get anything done besides the trigger job :wacko: