Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paying for air at the gas station

sirveyr

Most of the gas stations that I frequent have FREE air...until recently. What the hell happened? I stopped at two stations this morning to put some air in my wife's car and both of them are now charging $0.75 for air. Are you kidding me? :angry2:

Whatever...I'm sure they have their reasons...and I'm sure those reasons suck! <_<

Edited by sirveyr

I keep thinking about opening an actual SERVICE station. I worked at one in the summer as a kid washing windshields, checking air and oil, etc. We even did it for people at the self-service pumps and if it was raining or the station wasn't busy we'd pump their gas for them. That didn't happen too frequently because the place was ALWAYS busy even though they charged a premium for the gas. Taught me a lesson that people ARE willing to pay for good service and I think in the right area you could probably make a mint opening a retro-station.

I keep thinking about opening an actual SERVICE station. I worked at one in the summer as a kid washing windshields, checking air and oil, etc. We even did it for people at the self-service pumps and if it was raining or the station wasn't busy we'd pump their gas for them. That didn't happen too frequently because the place was ALWAYS busy even though they charged a premium for the gas. Taught me a lesson that people ARE willing to pay for good service and I think in the right area you could probably make a mint opening a retro-station.

I agree. There are plenty of people that would pay $0.10 per gallon extra to have someone else pump their fuel. My wife, since she is a princess and doesn't do anything icky, stinky, or yucky, would probably use this service. :rolleyes: I think she has put fuel in her car, maybe twice, in the 11 years we've known each other. Guess who has though? I wouldn't have it any other way. What can I say...I :wub: her!

Edited by sirveyr

A week or so ago I put some air in a tire on my truck that was a bit low here at the house, came out the next morning to go to work and all was good. Tires were getting really thin and snow is coming so I called around and ordered a set of tires while on the way to the job. The new tires will be in that afternoon, excellent. Drove 100 miles to the job and worked about an hour, go to leave and the tire is low. Go to a gas station and paid my DOLLAR for air, while filling the tire I see the screw in it and it is leaking pretty good. I go in, pay them another NINE DOLLARS for a small can of fix-a-flat. Put it in the tire and head out. Halfway home there is a Cabela's so I stop to check the tire and gawk for a half hour, tire looks OK so what the hell right? Come out and the tire is low again. Free air this time at the gas station, fill it up and try to get it home. No luck, 15 miles and it is REALLY low. Call the tire shop and there is no way they can put the tires on until tomorrow. Stop at another tire shop along the way and ask them if they can plug it for me, I just need to get another 12 hours out of it. Nope, they want $35 to PATCH it, and 3-4 hours wait time. "No one plugs tires anymore" is what I was told. Asked them to just fill it and I will be on my way, they did. Went another couple miles and it was low. Paid another DOLLAR and filled it up, made it about 5 miles before it was really low again and bought another can of fix-a-flat for ELEVEN DOLLARS. Put it in and drive 100 yards only to see fix-a-flat slinging up past the mirror. Limp it into a parking lot and changed the tire. Boy was I pissed.....

I'll be putting a tire plug kit under the seat as soon as I get somewhere that I can buy one.

A week or so ago I put some air in a tire on my truck that was a bit low here at the house, came out the next morning to go to work and all was good. Tires were getting really thin and snow is coming so I called around and ordered a set of tires while on the way to the job. The new tires will be in that afternoon, excellent. Drove 100 miles to the job and worked about an hour, go to leave and the tire is low. Go to a gas station and paid my DOLLAR for air, while filling the tire I see the screw in it and it is leaking pretty good. I go in, pay them another NINE DOLLARS for a small can of fix-a-flat. Put it in the tire and head out. Halfway home there is a Cabela's so I stop to check the tire and gawk for a half hour, tire looks OK so what the hell right? Come out and the tire is low again. Free air this time at the gas station, fill it up and try to get it home. No luck, 15 miles and it is REALLY low. Call the tire shop and there is no way they can put the tires on until tomorrow. Stop at another tire shop along the way and ask them if they can plug it for me, I just need to get another 12 hours out of it. Nope, they want $35 to PATCH it, and 3-4 hours wait time. "No one plugs tires anymore" is what I was told. Asked them to just fill it and I will be on my way, they did. Went another couple miles and it was low. Paid another DOLLAR and filled it up, made it about 5 miles before it was really low again and bought another can of fix-a-flat for ELEVEN DOLLARS. Put it in and drive 100 yards only to see fix-a-flat slinging up past the mirror. Limp it into a parking lot and changed the tire. Boy was I pissed.....

I'll be putting a tire plug kit under the seat as soon as I get somewhere that I can buy one.

This gave me a good chuckle, I have done stuff like this myself a time or two !!

Hey Sirveyr - Maybe there is an additional tax that Jenny added in somewhere !!!

Edited by nwb01

I'm down to one station around me with free air. The others got tired of "giving away" hoses, chucks, etc to the morons who didn't put it back or stole it. F'n idiots ruin a lot of things for other people. :angry2:

How about a spare tire?

It'll probably get like the bank where they CHARGE YOU for EVERYTHING, like some of the idiot banks in downtown Chicago that charge you to deposit YOUR money if you use a real person to do it. I've been hearing lately that the gas stations make a miniscule amount on gas, like a penny a gallon or less. The oil companies and refiners keep all the profits for themselves. That is why every gas station now has a store of some kind in it so that they can survive.

Right. When I was traveling all over the country in my van for months, shooting Area Matches, it had a Safety Seal plug kit in it. I think Safety Seal is the brand name. It was the best plug system I've ever seen or used. Back in my mechanic days, in all the years we used them at our shop, we never had one fail.

be