Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack questions

open17

We are going to play in Single Stack for a while. Picked up a Colt series 70 9mm for the

wife. Seems to run fine so now it's time to mess with it. I've read the rulebook, but thought

I would also check here---are any of the following a problem?

Thin grips

right side Mitchell mag release

extended slide release

full length tungsten guide rod (it still makes weight)

or

STI recoil-master

Looks like she can also use a Blade-Tech DOH? Height looks OK, but haven't

measured distance to grip.

I have some SS questions as well. I thought that the DOH was only legal with the drop attachment

removed as the top of the backstrap falls below the belt ?

Also trying to figure out the hot legal mag set-up. I want to put on Techwell, probably the large XT, and

I want to buy the right mags for that set-up (more then one choice please) which ones ? I take it 10rndrs

, even if loaded to 8, wont fit the box ? Do I buy seperate basepads ?

Just picked up new toy today and cant wait to get started !! .45

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

10 rounders are a no-no for major

DOH is not legal as the front strap is not above the top of the belt

As for the magwell, I done the testing and you can see it HERE

Thanks Z, Thats what I was looking for !!

Since I did buy a real single stack ".45", a Spartan, and I consider myself a snob, I will have to submit my application

for review to the elite eschelon, after my first classifier of course !! :D

Since I did buy a real single stack ".45", a Spartan, and I consider myself a snob, I will have to submit my application

Looking forward to it.

.45 is the way to go ;)

Looking forward to it.

.45 is the ONLY way to go ;)

Fixed it for you Z :cheers:

DC, with the Techwell's (any of them), you'll probably want to run something along the lines of a Wilson 47DE mag (or just buy regular 47D's and buy some extended base pads - same thing). You'll have to build a box and shave them to fit. I had the XT for a while, but ditched it and went with the 'Carry' one and couldn't be happier. The big ones just aren't all that necessary or desirable for myself. IIRC, Rocket35 had some nice pics of how he shaved his. Mine are about the same.

Are we sure the tungsten guide rod is ok? When it was a provisional div. I thought they said it had to be normal steel.

Yes it did. I've read the 2008 rules carefully and the "guide rod must be of normal steel"

isn't there now. Weight of this 9mm with the tungsten rod is 41.2 oz., so it should

be fine.

Bill

Here's da rules. (seen also at: http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2008HandgunRulesindexed.pdf )

APPENDIX D5 — Single-Stack Division

1 Minimum power factor for Major 165

2 Minimum power factor for Minor 125

3 Minimum bullet weight No

4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case .38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)

length

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major .40 cal. / 10mm (0.40”)

6 Minimum trigger pull No

7 Maximum size Handgun and all maga- Yes, handgun with empty magazine

zines inserted must fit wholly within a box

with internal dimensions of 8 15/16” x

6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance +1/16”, -0”)

(8.938” x 6” x 1.625”) (227.01mm x

152.40mm x 41.28mm)

8 Maximum magazine length See # 7 above

9 Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, maximum rounds loaded in any

magazine after the start signal

-Major Power Factor - 8 rounds

-Minor Power Factor - 10 rounds

10 Max. distance of handgun and Handgun and Mags - 2”

mags/speed loaders from inner side of

belt

11 Rule 5.2.3.1 applies No

12 Restriction on position of holster and Yes, see Appendix E3

other equipment

13 Optical/electronic sights permitted No, notch and post only

14 Installed flashlights permitted No

15 Compensators permitted No

16 Barrel ports permitted No

17 Slide ports permitted No

18 Maximum weight Yes, 43 ounces with empty magazine

19 Handgun specific approval for See Special Conditions below

Division

20 Holster restrictions •Suitable for everyday use. “Race gun” type holster

prohibited.

•Must carry pistol so that the entire front strap (to the

trigger guard) is at or above the top of the belt.

Female shooters must carry the pistol no lower than

the heel of the butt at the top of the belt.

•May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and

must cover the slide up to, 1⁄2” below the ejection port

(belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

21 Authorized modifications Not Applicable

76 • USPSA Handgun Rules, January 2008 Edition

APPENDIX D5 — Single-Stack Division (Contd.)

22 Prohibited modifi- •External modifications or features such as weights or devices

cations and fea- to control or reduce recoil (such as, but not limited to, thumb

tures rests or components which could be used as such).

•Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in

1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or

less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings and

conform to factory profile).

•Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling deemed to pro-

vide a competitive advantage.

23 Permitted features •External extractors, firing pin blocks, and other factory safe-

ty features.

•Slide – milling permitted only to duplicate a mass-produced

factory slide available to the general public or as required to

insert sights.

•Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no

longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide

stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

Special conditions:

— Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public

and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John

M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory

originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal.

Edited by ChuckS

DC, with the Techwell's (any of them), you'll probably want to run something along the lines of a Wilson 47DE mag (or just buy regular 47D's and buy some extended base pads - same thing). You'll have to build a box and shave them to fit. I had the XT for a while, but ditched it and went with the 'Carry' one and couldn't be happier. The big ones just aren't all that necessary or desirable for myself. IIRC, Rocket35 had some nice pics of how he shaved his. Mine are about the same.

Yup- here is a link of that post about my basepads and magwell...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=71954&hl=

Yup- here is a link of that post about my basepads and magwell...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=71954&hl=

While it's not what I'd call revolutionary I'm gonna take credit for the Techwell shaving since it's my gun/magwell in the pics :D (6" disc sander with an adjustable shelf to get the magwell square to the disc, then touched up with a Dremel and a cratex wheel).

The basepads were entirely the product of Jay's creative mind :bow:

Edited by G-ManBart

Yeah- I had Chris take some material off so there was a little more of the basepad to seat them consistantly. A disc sander is on my X-mas list. I must say the magwell has made a world of difference over the SVI. My reloads are far more consistant, and the only thing I changed was magwells. Haven't been practicing like I should be... :blush:

Yeah- I had Chris take some material off so there was a little more of the basepad to seat them consistantly. A disc sander is on my X-mas list. I must say the magwell has made a world of difference over the SVI. My reloads are far more consistant, and the only thing I changed was magwells. Haven't been practicing like I should be... :blush:

I was teasing you because that one pic is of the magwell I trimmed almost a year ago, rather than the one you asked me to trim down...lol Better wear a mask the next time you stipple basepads...those nasty fumes can't be good for you :roflol:

Definitely check out the combo vertical belt sander/disc sander models. I find the vertical belt sander is more useful, in general, but neither one can do everything so it's nice to have both. I used the vbs on my basepads and even a little bit on the magwell to make a slight upward curve on the front...just barely rises up....can't really do that with the disc. Harbor freight has some inexpensive models that seem to be fine for the typical hobbyist....all well under $100.

Thanks !

Everyone keeps mentioning different Wilson mags but what about the CMC 8rnd powermags, with basepad ??

They probably won't be long enough with the stock basepad to work with the largest Techwell. I have a McCormick non-Powermag and had to put a plastic spacer under the basepad to make it long enough to seat positively.

The Wilson 47NX with the DE basepad trimmed a touch in front works very nicely with the Techwell. The Tripp "system" mag also has it's following, but I don't know if he has any of them made since they revised their mags last year. The system mag has a slight longer tube specifically for the Techwell. I got the last system mag of the old style that they had in stock..although thtye said they could make more. It works, but has some issues (feed lips spreading out after one or two rounds are stripped and then it won't drop free). R,

Ok. i'm looking at Shooter's Conn. and I see a D and a NX in .40 only ?? No DE, but both of the previous have the

.350 basepad ?? I need them in .45 so which ones ??

Also when you say wont work with the techwell is that just the large XT or any of them ??

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Ok. i'm looking at Shooter's Conn. and I see a D and a NX in .40 only ?? No DE, but both of the previous have the

.350 basepad ?? I need them in .45 so which ones ??

Also when you say wont work with the techwell is that just the large XT or any of them ??

I should have been more specific. The longer basepad (.625) comes standard on the DE mag, but as a basepad alone, they call it the BEN. Both the standard 47D mag (.45) and 47NX (.40) come with the .350" basepad standard. What you're looking for is this:

http://shootersconnection.com/store/produc...products_id=868

It's just the large XT I'm talking about...I've handled the medium size, but didn't put it on the gun and check with mags to see how it would work, but I'd suspect the standard .350" basepad might work with the medium Techwell. If not, the extended basepads and a little trimming work really nicely. R<

Edited by G-ManBart