Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

European Championship IPSC Rifle 2009

I would like to echo all the previous comments. It was a fabulous experience and many thanks to all the organisers, RO' , workers and competitors.

It was great to see the worlds best competing and even better to see that even they can have a bad stage which gives the rest of us some hope.

A big thanks to the US competitors and thanks for all the hints and tips etc.

Looking forward to seeing you all, both over here and over there in the future. :cheers:

Bryan

Edited by Bryan Mc Evilly

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

short answer........yes.

it is a new rule that took affect this year, in years past it was not that way. Sadly because there is no WORLD venue for rifle or shotgun or 3 gun, teams from outside the host region will never be able to compete together and receive recognition. :angry2:

trapr

Unless the WSB states they must be pointing forwards, then yes you can have them extended.

trapr, I hoping that Norway will be able to offer the first rifle WS, but we'll see. ;)

I'd love to have a lvl V match here.

In IPSC you can have the gun and/or bipod over the faultline, no problem. Just that no body parts may touch the ground outside the FL.

Rule 10.2.1 states:

A competitor who fires shots while any part of their body is touching the ground beyond a Fault Line will receive 1 procedural penalty for each occurrence.
Edited by Cardinal

What a Match!

For me it was a match of my life! No Mikes and only 8 D:s if I remember correctly.

I would like to thank all the US shooters for coming over. It was an honour to shoot with you and very nice to meet you guys. Special thanks to Kelly for the mag. I hope you will join us in more matches to come and I really hope I find a way to come to see how you do things in the States.

/isto

Edited by isto

Hi Trapr,

I checked the Standard team scores. If you would have been allowed to enter the team, you would have won with a total 4474 match points beating us Finns by 114 points. Our result was 4360 which is 97,45% of your score. I think both teams did a solid job you guys being a few points a head most of the time. Great shooting!

/isto

Edited by isto

Tommi, since I do not shoot Open I am unsure of the rule but, i knew someone would know. I just thought it was funny!!!

Isto, it was very much fun to shoot against you all, and socialize after :cheers: I know we all enjoyed the camaraderie and competition.

I hope to see you all soon.

Trapr

Tommi, since I do not shoot Open I am unsure of the rule but, i knew someone would know. I just thought it was funny!!!

Trapr,

There is few differencies between rules in US and IPSC. Minor things only and we will manage, both :cheers: Actually, 10.2.1 concerns STD also, You can take support with magazine outside the box, it's only bodyparts which are not allowed to touch ground.

Tommi

Edited by TommiF

Here's some pictures of match winner in Open, Raine Peltokoski:

post-11324-1247918763_thumb.jpg

post-11324-1247918789_thumb.jpg

Starting to move, while the case from the last shot is still in the air.

post-11324-1247918815_thumb.jpg

post-11324-1247918850_thumb.jpg

I've also got some pictures of some other Norwegians, but figured that here those would be most interesting for you americans.

Those Open guns sure have a lot of cool dodads and gadgets on them. Are those earmuffs in the Open category as well? I have yet to compete in multi gun or see one live in person so I hope that's not a stupid question? :roflol:

Those Open guns sure have a lot of cool dodads and gadgets on them. Are those earmuffs in the Open category as well? I have yet to compete in multi gun or see one live in person so I hope that's not a stupid question? :roflol:

Raines earmuffs has radio on them. He will like to listen some music between stages. :)

Raines earmuffs has radio on them. He will like to listen some music between stages. :)

That's what I figured. That was my lame attempt at humor. I thought it was humorous that an Open shooter had all the gadgets including the radio ear muffs.

It was a fun and challenging match although the safety angles were a bit tight to say the least! I am disappointed that the American Standard Team was unable to be recognized. Since we don't have World rifle shoots, the national teams really do not get to shoot against each other. Hopefully we can rectify this in the future.

Congrats to Isto and Raine for their wins and to the Finnish in general, who fielded very strong teams. The American Standard Tesm also had the pleasure to shoot with the Norweigan Standard team who put on a good show.

I'm glad that IPSC had a Level IV rifle match and I hope to see more of them. I'm also glad we had a shoot off, which was fun to compete in as well as a good crowd pleaser.

To any potential future American Shooters planning on attending ISPC rifle events, I have some observations:

1) Be prepared for extremely tight safety angles as opposed ot the traditional 180;

2) Be prepared for short courses of 8-10 rounds;

3) Be prepared to shoot on paper classic targets at long range as opposed to just steel;

4) While European Shooters are far more careful with each shot they make (having few misses or makeup shots), Americans are willing to get on the trigger as well as shoot on the move. This can be a big advantage.

5) Be prepared to compete against some extremely talented shooters who you may have never heard of

6) Be prepared to shoot at freshly painted targets (as Trapr said, American MDs are you listening?)

7) Did I mention the safety angles?

I must admit I'm a bit surprised to trapr and Kelly's comments about the steel...

Here it has been SOP to paint the steel for each shooter in level III above rifle and handgun matches.

For level II, I must admit it seems to be more random. Sometimes between each shooter and other times only between squads.

I assumed you would have done the same, especially on level III and above...

At a recent major multigun match, the MD painted the long range steel a nice medium gray before the match started. I questioned why he did that, and the reply was "so they look the same for the 1st shooter as the last." His paint was perfectly calibrated for "bullet splash gray." The large yellow backers made the targets readily identifiable, even w/ my iron sights, out to 400+ yards. Yes, white targets may have been a little easier to see, but white would not have contrasted quite as well on the yellow backer as the gray.

Erik, Iron sight shooters have been trying to get MD's to paint steel for every squad for years, and we get told that it takes too much time or that they would have to shut down 2 or 3 stages to get it done.

Yet, at ERC shutting down 3 stages to paint for each shooter and score paper was not a problem, so it was a very pleasant surprise to have it done. As for the Gray painted targets with contrasting backgrounds,........................when the light hits the gray or the clouds come in, the target can disappear, so saying that its the same for every shooter is not correct. Shooters can deal with atmospheric conditions, but to have targets disappear due to inconsideration is a poor choice of behavior.

I recall a match where some of my RO's asked why they had to paint steel for SG, for every shooter. they claimed it would take too long and besides the steel would just be fine gray!!!! the reason for doing it, is consideration for the shooter, gray can become like black or like white under the right conditions.

Kurt and I have been to many matches where targets could not be seen because of not painting them, and you had to locate them by using the background foliage.

This behavior happily seems to be going away, with MD's now using Backers of contrasting color, but it is still prevalent at some matches.

trapr

For the most part, crew members on ATVs drive out to reset and paint the steel (and score and paste any paper targets). One or two men per ATV depending on the number of targets and placement.

In some cases it may be possible to have a man remain out in a "trench" to paint and reset.

Edited by Cardinal

and the little radios to coordinate cease fires. The other thing that was nice was removing the interface between the shooter and the RO on long range steel,..............it fell, or it didn't. You didn't have to worry about the RO not seeing an edge hit or tiny flash or anything, it fell, or it didn't.

the backers appeared to be nothing more than a pallet with black plastic around it, the plates were yellow, a great combination of contrasting colors.

It really is quite easy, and worked great for the ERC.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

the backers appeared to be nothing more than a pallet with black plastic around it, the plates were yellow, a great combination of contrasting colors.

It really is quite easy, and worked great for the ERC.

Trapr

As I set up about 20 of them, I can confirm that we used 2 pallets for each plate mounted in a 90° angle. The plate was mounted onto the horizontal pallet with a 2cm x 8cm x 30 cm plank in between plate and pallet. The vertical pallet was covered with black PVC foil. Some sandbags in front of the setup and some on the side of the plate to prevent damage due to low or side-drifted shots and voila...

(But we felt like mules after we carried the pallets into the hills...)

Georg