Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope throw levers

badchad

I have a Burris 1-4 XTR and I was contemplating a throw lever. They look like they would really speed up the change from 1 to 4 power on a stage when needed, but they also look like they would snag on all kinds of things. Are the top shooters using them and do the pros outweigh the cons?

On the Burris 1-4 the whole ocular turns as opposed to just the small ring as do most other variables. I have taken advantage of that by applying grip tape to the whole smooth surface of the ocular (2" wide by an approprite length to wrap around it). Gives a huge non-slip gripping surface that is non snag also.post-6767-1226665160_thumb.jpg

I have a Burris 1-4 XTR and I was contemplating a throw lever. They look like they would really speed up the change from 1 to 4 power on a stage when needed, but they also look like they would snag on all kinds of things. Are the top shooters using them and do the pros outweigh the cons?

Jessie Abbot was using one last year and I can see a huge advantage. IMO you are at no more risk snagging the throw lever than you would be snagging your holster on a doorway.

I love the throw on my Meopta...I believe it is a must and I have yet to have a snag (knock on wood). Almost all levers have the extra room to trim if you believe you may have a problem. The ring on the Meopta is a little stiff so it would take what seems an hour to switch from one side to the other of power. Hell, I already spent all the money for the rest of the gear so may as well drink "all" of the koolaid!

Got mine from RandRRacingonline and love it...

Hope this helps,

Busyhawk

If you like changing the power on the fly I think it's a must.

Yes, they are are must for variable power scopes. They give added leverage & easier access to the adjustment, (FAST).

But I also think that continually changing power is a good way to accelerate the demise of your scope.

/quote]

What???? If that"s the case all my scopes must be worn out.

Anyone know if there's a 'throw lever' available for an IOR anywhere?

Been down that road before and it's just not possible right now. The IOR has a 35mm tube with a Larue mount there is just not enough clearence between the bottom of the adjustment ring and the top of the flattop on the rifle. Plus the adjustment ring is tapered on both side and there is nothing really for grab onto. It want's to walk off either side. That scope will be a tuff nut to crack.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

What???? If that"s the case all my scopes must be worn out.

If you use the throw lever the power ring will be moving at a much faster rate than without it. Faster=increased wear.

When turning how many of us will stop on the dime? And how many of us will just smack against the "stop" and have all that increased torque (that the lever affords to the user) applied to the scope and mount?

In addition the shooter will also most likely also change the power more often because it has become easy to do and it becomes a thing to practice.

Like all mechanical things... the more you use it... the harder you use it... the faster it wears.

Been down that road before and it's just not possible right now. The IOR has a 35mm tube with a Larue mount there is just not enough clearence between the bottom of the adjustment ring and the top of the flattop on the rifle. Plus the adjustment ring is tapered on both side and there is nothing really for grab onto. It want's to walk off either side. That scope will be a tuff nut to crack.

Chris C.

Could you not modify one of those miracle strap wrenches (as seen on TV) to do it? I have a photo of a guy in the sandpit who did something like this using one of those.

Chris C.

Could you not modify one of those miracle strap wrenches (as seen on TV) to do it? I have a photo of a guy in the sandpit who did something like this using one of those.

Umm... We have been down that road also. They just don't hold up and lose tension during a fight. One we tested out in Afghanistan didn't last a week. We got the POS email and they blew it up with a 1/4 lbs block of C4. Cool video by the way....

By the way the rest of the gang came back from Afghanistan yesterday. Truck was hit by an IED 4 miles from the airport they were leaving from. Truck took a big hit but everyone was OK.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Chris,

How 'bout for an Accupoint? I know it's a difficult deal to machine. Probably a two piece setup. On on the actual dial and then one forward of that to ride the tube in front of the dial as a guide.

Rich

Hummm.... Good idea. I'm worried that over time the little bit of surface area in contact with the power ring would wear out pretty quick. It is made out of rubber and fits over the ring.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Umm... We have been down that road also. They just don't hold up and lose tension during a fight. One we tested out in Afghanistan didn't last a week. We got the POS email and they blew it up with a 1/4 lbs block of C4. Cool video by the way....

By the way the rest of the gang came back from Afghanistan yesterday. Truck was hit by an IED 4 miles from the airport they were leaving from. Truck took a big hit but everyone was OK.

Chris C.

Now that is product testing folks!

Glad to hear everyone was OK.

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the lever from RandRracing. I wasn’t so worried about having one snag anything during a match but more likely when I pull it in and out of my safe. The one from RandR looks like a good size. I wanted to try the grip tape idea, but my problem twisting the eyepiece isn’t so much the grip, but my fingers getting pinched between the scope and the gun when I try to twist it fast.

I just received and installed my throw lever from RandRracing and I really like it. Just playing with it a little, yeah it seems like it will be a significant advantage. Short enough not to be ungainly and big enough to grab. It does take some force to turn so I can see where a longer one would be easier on the fingers, but I think with a little practice I’ll get the hang of it and it will be plenty fast. As for increased wear and tear on the scope, well, I figure that’s what a forever warranty is for.

It seems like turning it with my strong arm is the best method. Is that what everyone else does?

Using my strong arm to twist the lever, I'm still keeping the rifle mounted, it just seems easier for me to hold it up to my shoulder by the hand guard. Trying to twist the lever with my weak arm is a PITA and my rifle swings all over the place, but initially I thought that's how it should be done. I'm not sure if what I'm doing is "correct" but so far it seems considerably easier and faster for me. With your longer lever perhaps it's easier to twist weak handed. I’ll keep playing with it.