Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting into revo shooting on the CHEAP!

A62335

For some reason I have been getting this urge to shoot a wheel in USPSA, and possibly in IDPA next summer. Problem is, I am pretty much already maxed out on my shooting budget. What would be the cheapest way to get into shooting a wheel gun? I would need everything: gun, holster, speedloaders/moon clips, and ammo carriers. I would want the gear to be legal in both USPSA and IDPA. How would you guys do it? There are a zillion S&W models, which ones are the best?

The best cheap revolvers are S&W police trade-ins, as in when a department goes from revo to auto. Same for the leather.

You can find this stuff at flea markets, garage sales, gun shows, a lot of gun shops have a box or bin of old leather. There are

police supply stores too. A lot of them sell to the public. The old police stuff isn't racy, but it works and it's cheap.

I'd think the best way to do it would be to do what Toolguy said, but then when you can afford it, get a 625 or 610, a North Mountain Moonclip Holder, and a Blade-Tech DOH holster for USPSA. Then continue using your other stuff for IDPA, just shoot SSR Division.

You cannot be competitive in USPSA without a moonclipped gun. There's just no other way to do it. When you're just getting started, though, it's not like you're going to win any matches anyway. I shot my first USPSA match with a Model 14, and it was a hoot!

Edited by Glockopop

Good advice from Glockopop. Get a beater 4" .38/.357 S&W to start out, maybe a 686, shoot it in both games, and start saving right away for a 5" 625 and associated gear for USPSA shooting. Fortunately, you can outfit yourself with a complete set of state-of-the-art USPSA Revo gear relatively inexpensively (less than a grand for everything if you shop carefully).

The .38/.357 will be fine for SSR in IDPA, and/or make a fine defense gun for the house or car.

Good advice from Glockopop. Get a beater 4" .38/.357 S&W to start out, maybe a 686, shoot it in both games, and start saving right away for a 5" 625 and associated gear for USPSA shooting. Fortunately, you can outfit yourself with a complete set of state-of-the-art USPSA Revo gear relatively inexpensively (less than a grand for everything if you shop carefully).

The .38/.357 will be fine for SSR in IDPA, and/or make a fine defense gun for the house or car.

All of the above, but you could get a 4" 625 and shoot IPSC/USPSA and ESR in IDPA.

I'd recommend patience. A full package comes up for sale here about every 2 months. Back in the good ol' days (2007) I got a 625-4, FO sight, fifty clips, nine holders, and a speedsec holster for $750. All I had to add was a belt. If it's not for you, then you'll get most if not all of your money back.

H.

Cheap??

1) Any non USPSA gun you get will need chamfer work on the cylinder. If you don't feel handy w/ a dremel, then it will cost you some $$

2) My old 625, used, was about $400. You don't often find them that cheap.

3) OTOH, a police trade in 686 might be found for $250. TK will cut it for moonclips over the winter for $100. Still needs chamfering. Starting out you can learn revolver with a 686. Can even shoot Major if you reload (use 180s or 200s).

Is a 625 better? Damn sure it is. But, you asked for "cheap" - not "best."

A62335 What are you shooting/reloading now?

If you are already reloading for .45ACP but not .38/.357, you can reduce the differential in cost between the 625 and a L or K frame by the cost of new dies, powder, brass, etc. Likewise if you are already loading .40, you may have to look a little harder but find a 610.

More to agonize over.

Cheapest way in is find a generous friend and borrow gear.

!DING! +10000. IPSCDRL was the first to lend me a SW model 65 and got me hooked, then RGS hooked me up with help on the 625....

Since most of us have more than 1 gun or division, I am sure someone has got to have one kicking around for you to try out.

Edited by Mooney

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will just save up some money and look for a used 625 here on the board, since I do already reload .45.

If you already load 45's the money saved on a .38 or other non 45 "starter gun" wil get ate up getting started reloading for another round.