Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upper Ball joint loose

I had new tires installed on ym car yesterday and the tech told me that I needed to get it fixed because I hade "upper ball joints loose and tierod ends loose" How serious is this and how hard of a repair? Also are any specialty tools needed?

1994 T-Bird

Thanks

Tony

It DOES require a ball joint press. Tie Rod ends are easy, but will require a front end alignment (set toe) when you're done.

Pay someone. Its not hard work, but if you're not familiar its a pain,.

Jack the car up on the front corner, if you can wiggle the tire up and down you need to fix it now. Think of the axis that the tires turn on when you turn the steering wheel, this is the axis that the tie rod ends are responsible for. The axis perpendicular to that is the axis the ball joints control. Either of them being bad will EAT your new tires and that is a cost on top of fixing it which you will eventually have to do, if either of them break you could lose control of the vehicle. Fix it.

The best piece of advise that I can tell you is to take it to a dealer and let their front end tach check it out. maybe 60.00 if nothing is done. Upper and lower ball joints do tend to fail but more or less on trucks.

They have a life expectancy of around 120,000 miles but that also depends on driving conditions.

Prices from when I was a tech 10 years ago.

Upper and lower ball joints both sides - 260.00

tie rod ends - 200.00 with alignment.

But yes get it checked.

I had new tires installed on ym car yesterday and the tech told me that I needed to get it fixed because I hade "upper ball joints loose and tierod ends loose"

They probably write that on every invoice. :surprise:

I'd have someone you trust check it out for ya

I had new tires installed on ym car yesterday and the tech told me that I needed to get it fixed because I hade "upper ball joints loose and tierod ends loose"

They probably write that on every invoice. :surprise:

:roflol::roflol:

Let's just say that I'm in the business. What Flex said !!! A little about tire and lube shops, the techs make their money

off up-sells which is anything they can add to the ticket. Usually it's the same things over and over from them. Things they

have in stock and/or know how to do. For instance, every car that went to Firestone was recomended new shocks or tierod

ends while they completely looked the other way from the massive oil leak or collapsed motor mounts. Why? Because

they dont know how to replace those things. Not that your ball joints are not worn past "the recomended factory spec" but

they may not be that bad. If there's "any" play, they can rightfully try to sell them to you...

My advise is to take it to the dealer and dont tell them about this recomendation but tell them that the car feels loose and

there's a clunk in the front when going over bumps. Ask if they could check out the suspension then see what they come up with. If you buy an oil change service at the same time then they can just check it while it's in the air and not charge you extra just for looking !!!

If they are worn to the point of obvious play (visible movement) then you have to repair them as those new tires

wont last for jack..

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I am also in the business. While I do make much more money on repairs than oil changes, I do not recommend work that the customer doesn't need. I'll tell you a belt's cracked and needs replacing - when it's cracked and needs replacing. I'll tell you that you need BJ's or TRE's when there's ANY play in them - because ANY play is too much. I'll let the oil leak slide when I know it's going to be a $1k repair and the car is only worth $2k - I'll let you know about it because I don't want to crash my bike on the street because of YOUR oil puddle - but at the same time I understand some things just aren't worth fixing.

I've seen several recommendations lately that people take their cars to the dealer - which is just not needed in the cases I've seen. The tech's are no different than properly trained techs at a normal garage. ESPECIALLY when you're talking about 5+ year old cars, let alone 10+. Any shop worth a darn has all the factory specs and regularly scheduled maintenance info and is capable of doing the work. Not including quick lubes or your Walmart type service centers.

DC - telling the service writer at the dealer that you are hearing a clunk and that the car feels loose is just a flat out lie when you don't or can't - which will lead the tech to waste his time chasing a symptom that doesn't exist - essentially stealing from him. I understand the logic of the scenario, but I don't agree with that method. You're better off to just take it to a different shop and tell them to give it a look over. Casually ask about the condition of the steering and suspension components. After they have a look at and tell you what they've found - discuss the previous shop's findings.

Get a couple of estimates, they can vary some. might as well do the whole job if it needs it. Have it done at a front end shop, they have the tools and alignment is important. Is it serious? Bout like a heart attack. If that stuff failes at highway speeds it can kill you.----------Larry

Hello: Do a Google search to see how to fix it yourself. Then decide if you have to replace it now or later. I also work on funny aircooled German cars. I have heard lots of stories about what needs to be replaced etc. from some shops here in my town. You could ask the tire shop to show you why it needs replacing. Most shops will be glad to do that. Good luck with your search. Thanks, Eric

ooof.

I once did time as a grease monkey...

if there is any trick to this ball-joint and tie rod problem...

it is who do you trust?

I repair my cars myself cause I am cheap

and I like knowing the clown who fixed it, rides it.

Find a shop you trust. this is not easy.

when you trust them, take their word for what the car needs.

for you now...

If your car wonders while you drive, or makes odd noises

during small transitions, get another shop to look over the suspension system.

what I tell folks about this issue...

Any recommendation for more repairs 'while its on the lift' is suspect.

A shop that hands you your car keys and then tells you you need to

attend to a potential problem gets a high mark for

both being busy ( how do you think they got so busy?) enough that the car

does not stay 'on the lift' for them to sell you more repairs

AND

not using high pressure tactics for selling repairs ( no matter how badly needed )

such a shop know it will have plenty of work.

Watch out for 'new management' signs if you like them....

Get to know the guy who twists your nuts and bolts.

miranda