Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero For A Limited Rifle?

BillL223

Since I have been shooting rifles in 3-Gun I have shot in Open Division with either a dot or scope. I always zeroed to point of impact. I just rebarreled one of my rifles with iron sights to shoot Limited Division. Should I zero for point of impact as I did when shooting Open or should I zero under point of impact as a bullseye shooter might do. This gun will be used for local matchs where the longest target probably will be an 8" plate or USPSA popper @ 100 yds. I have old eyes.

5" low at 300 W/50yd zero.With what Grain,FPS,and height of sight line?In my case i beleive i'm around -6.9 W/60gr VMAX at average felocity3082,-10.2 W/69gr MK at 2770, with irons and acog on 18"JP.

• 2 months later...

The current thought process is that a 42 yard zero is correct from up close to 350 yards. the old 25 yard was falling short. a 100 yard zero can also work. the drill below will prove out your zero and also increase your confidence in your system and ability.

You will be on. obviously at close range, but within the "A-Zone" anywhere out to 350 yards. I suggest setting up at on a range where you have the actual distances and place a target at 25, 50 , 75, 100, 150 200, 250, 300 and 350. for the first string, don't change your point of aim. Hold on the center and fire 5. That way you will "KNOW" where your gun shoots with your load and hold. Book tables are pretty good, but real life can't read.

After you have confirmed your zero, run the drill two on each near to far and far to near just to get the feel of a stage as opposed to a static range. This is best done of course where you can set up all the targets on the same range as opposed to three different ranges. be sure you aren't skipping rounds over the back-stop.

My $0.02

Jim

BillL223,

I used to zero at 300, but I'm currently playing with a 275 zero (69 gr). I use a 16" barrel and it puts me about +4" @ 100, +4" @ 200, and -2" @ 300. Since I don't expect to call a 2" shot at 300, I just hold center mass.

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Why not adjust to 4" high at 100, that way you can see all targets and have an impact above the front sight at interesting distances (50 and over depending a bit on how far the sights are mounted above the barrel). At short range it wouldn't matter as much.

John