Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm magazine recommendations

SammyK

I just recently purchased a Springfield 1911 in 9mm and will need to order some aditional magazines.

What do you guys recomend? I was thinking about going with the springfield factory metalform mags as the loaded coupon that came with the gun has them for $15.00 ea. Not to say i am cheap just seems like a good deal.

Main concern is reliability. I know a few people that have used the factory offered metalforms without issue. Just figured what better place than here to ask first.

There are a couple of 9mm 1911 magazine threads running on this board currently - one of which I started. Just today I got a PM asking my opinion on - you guessed it - the best 9mm 1911 magazines. For the help it might provide anyone, I'm going to post my reply here:

Keith,

In my experience, feed reliability in a 9mm 1911 has at least as much to do with the gun as the magazines. Put another way, I think that oftentimes magazines take the heat for gun problems. In a 9mm 1911 (in addition to having a decently functional gun to start with) the two keys to reliability I've found are:

(1) Having a decent feed ramp, i.e. there's no downward curvature to the ramp, it's a straight line ramp, not a concave curve. What I mean by "concave" is that the feed ramp has a bellied appearance, it curves progressively until, at bottom, it winds up pointing straight down. It's not at all unknown in such cases for the nose of the next bullet in the mag to hit that "wall" of metal at the bottom of the feed ramp and stop cold.

(2) The elevated mag catches do a great job smoothing out feeding, in my experience. That means either starting out with something like a JP mag catch and fitting it, or welding up the stock button.

In my experience, if those two areas are copacetic, the gun has a good feed ramp and the "float" of the magazine has been adjusted to raise the top of the mag as much as possible (without rubbing the feed lips on the underside of the slide, natch) thus giving the rounds more of a straightline feed into the chamber, a 9mm 1911 will feed with sewing machine reliability out of just about any magazine.

Duane

+1000 on Metalform. When I purchased my first open Bianchi gun in .38 Super from Nowlin I asked Mr. Nowlin Sr. for a recommendation on magazines. He said "you can pay more but you can't do better than Metalform and they cost a lot less".

I took his advice and he was correct. I have tried others and in everthing from .45ACP, 9mm, and .38 Super the only malfunctions that cost me serious points in a match were not made by Metalform.

Duane Thomas is very correct in that the gun is more likely to be the problem. I purchased new a 9mm single stack to shoot metallic sights in Action Pistol and it would stick a bullet into the feed ramp every now and it would stick so tight you had to drop the magazine to clear the jam. A good gunsmith determined that the bed for the feed ramp was not cut deep enough and occasionally a JHP would stick into the bottom edge of the feed ramp. He cut the bed deeper and it has never burped again unless it was a stove pipe or a bad round.

I've said this a few times, but I want to make sure people know. If your running factory ammo or factory length ammo the wilson/tripp 9mm mags work great. If you load longer than 1.150 they will not fit in the mag due to the spacer you'll need the 38 super mags.

SammyK I am in the same spot as you. I'm about to buy some mags for my 9mm Springfield. The only 1911 9mm mags that seem to get a close to 100% rating on the interent is the Springfiled 9 rounders that have the groove in the front (I think thats the design that TGO dreamed up). If you want 10 round 9mm mags its Tripp, Wilson and Metalform all with a version of a 10 round 9mm mag and they all get mixed reviews. After that 10 round 38 super mags by Metalform or McCormick seem to be in use by quite a few folks, with some of those loading long as Joe D mentioned. I decided to take Get2now's and Joe D's advice and try the Metalform 38 super mags with the orange plastic follower and welded bottom and load a little on the long side. I am going to only order two at first and give it try.

By the way you know you are an IPSCer when you will go through all this mental anguish :D for an extra round.

Keith

I can't thank all of you enough for all of your advice. I will be ordering a few of the factory springer 9rnd mags to start and see how they work. Capacity really isn't going to be an issue for me yet. When it does i will try some other recomendations. I need to get it broke in and go form there.

I will say though i am so glad there is a place to go for information like this. All the advice is priceless.

Hello: At $15, I would order 10 of them. If they don't work out you can always sell them. It is nice to load up mags once before the match or practice and just shoot. Thanks, Eric

Very good point

STI now has the mag with the groove in the front. The groove keeps the 9mm round to the back and then it has a ramp on the front of the mag so to keep a round from nosediving. This is really the most helpful when using JHP ammo. These mags are not cheap though. But for a carry application, JHP AMMO, complete reliability is worth it.