Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield P9

DJPoLo

Here's a nice shot of my wife's gun. It's a Springfield P9 with an EAA 9x21 barrel and comp, extended safety and an old school red dot scope on an EAA mount. The double action trigger was replaced with an EAA single action trigger. All gunsmithing was done by Alan Tillman at ART Enterprises. The extended base pad allows 20+1 in the gun. Another magazine (not shown) will fit 22+1.

bethp9.jpg

Nice. Have your wife ride that safety with her thumb, as described in Brian's book and elsewhere on this site. As a side benefit, she can activate that safety any time she moves just by pressing down her thumb's middle joint.

Nice. Have your wife ride that safety with her thumb, as described in Brian's book and elsewhere on this site. As a side benefit, she can activate that safety any time she moves just by pressing down her thumb's middle joint.

Heh. Yeah, she's working on that :wacko:

There are only two things I don't like about shooting the P9 (I shoot an EAA Witness Gold Team) and that is 1) lack of magazine capacity and 2) that safety. These guns have very little detent in the safety and, by design, it is very easy to flick *ON* with your thumb while shooting and not notice it. Both guns have the same flaw. <_<

These guns have very little detent in the safety and, by design, it is very easy to flick *ON* with your thumb while shooting and not notice it. Both guns have the same flaw. 

[preaching to the choir mode] You can't bump the safety on if your thumb is riding on top of it B) [/preaching to the choir mode]

Due to the double angle on the gold team safety, the heel of the thumb can push forward on the lower angle rocking the safety up to the "on " position. I have done it several times with my oversized thumbs. The stock type safety, and the silver team safety, have a straight safety lever, and cannot be rocked forward like the gold team.

• 7 months later...

Update March 2004:

We had some work done on this P9 recently. ART Enterprises milled the slide extensively, added an Arredondo thumb rest and a light recoil spring. My thought was to turn this into a steel gun and, man, does it shoot great! If it weren't for its lack of magazine well, I'd 'prolly use this as my IPSC gun.

-Chet

P9a.jpg

P9b.jpg

P9c.jpg

P9d.jpg

P9e.jpg

P9g.jpg

Looks sweet! Can you tell any difference in function with the lightened slide? Are you still going to shoot major in it?

Also, where did you get the base pads that allow 20+1 and 22+1??? I'm using cpmi base pads and can only get 18+1.

That looks like one heck of a light slide - is the comp titanium? Might want to opt for a C-more scope. I use to have Tasco PDP3s on my open guns but then the C-Mores are so much durable, nicer, faster and most of all the best feature it provides; much much lighter. For a steel gun it deserves a C-More or OKIdot. Nice P9 and Witness. josh

Can you tell any difference in function with the lightened slide?  Are you still going to shoot major in it?

Also, where did you get the base pads that allow 20+1 and 22+1???  I'm using cpmi base pads and can only get 18+1.

I thought there would be minimal difference with the lighter slide, but combined with a super-light recoil spring it is really nice. I would like to shoot major loads in it, but I'm concerned about running it without a shock buff. I ordered one from Buffer Technologies and will see how I feel after installing it. However, I would only run major loads in it if I'm going to shoot IPSC with it and I doubt I'll do that because reloads are much slower with this than my EAA Witness Gold Team.

I have no idea who made the base pads. I've had them for over 10 years and my mind is slipping... :P The 20+1's are probably from EAA and the 22+1 is something I ordered from Brownell's (I believe) around 1995 or so.

The comp is steel. It's an EAA comp/barrel kit in 9x21.

I use the Tasco scope because it still runs and I've got one on my other gun. As soon as one dies I will switch over to C-Mores (or as soon as my Dawson gun is finished, whichever comes first). B)

-Chet

• 9 months later...