Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching loads during the season.

lugnut

I've been trying to focus more on shooting lately- or should I say improving my shooting! I made a short move to a 1911 but decided to stick with my G34 for now. I shoot mostly IDPA and some USPSA.

I've been shooting mostly 124gr loads with 4.5gr W231- they shoot well for me but recently I've been trying some 147gr loads (3.7gr W231) as it's getting close to off season here in the North East. I really like the feel of them but they are a world apart from my perspective. The problem is, being obsessive and all... I have a few thousand 124gr loads made up and more than that in 124gr heads. :unsure:

I feel that it's ideal to keep things as consistent as possible and I'm quite certain that my timing will be different between the two loads. Yeah I know, you need to see the same sight pic but the gun settles in differently IMO.

Do you guys stick with one load only and use it thru the season? If you do change loads/bullets- does it have much impact on your shooting?

Thanks!

The only reason I would change loads is if I got a smokin' deal on the new bullets. I'm down to about 1k of the 9x19 ammo loaded with 122 LFPs I got for $33/k delivered. ;) If the load you're using ain't broke, don't fix it. OTOH, if you can objectively state that you shoot better with the 147s, then by all means go for it.

OTOH, if you can objectively state that you shoot better with the 147s, then by all means go for it.

Yeah- that's what I'm trying to determine. It will be hard to not be biased.. since I still have sooo many 124gr bullets. :rolleyes:

I put quite a few Bear Creek 147's down the tubes of a G17, G34 and soon a Springfield 1911 9mm loaded. I like to load 3.8 grains of Unique. Fills the little 9mm case nicely, no chance of a double charge.

If you think 147's will make a difference then it will be on your mind. I suggest you set up a test. Load some 147's up and compare accuracy with your current load. Then run a stage with both loads several times. The groups and the timer will tell you what you want to know.

Keith

you could always put them up for trade here or other places.

you could always stash them just in case you end up at the end of next season with regrets.

you could always just sell the stuff off.

you could carry them to matches for "loaner bullets". There's always a newb 15-20 rounds short :)

If you can afford any of the above, I'd certainly switch over to the load because in your words "I really like the feel of them". Nows the time to do it. If nothing else, it gives you one less thing to have regrets about, running around in your head and all.

YMMV.

Thanks for the input- as usual- good ideas. I do plan on testing the 147grs in the near term. What I do with the 124gr bullet... I don't know.

I was more curious as to what actual impact something like this would have on your shooting. Another words- does it screw your timing significantly? No diff?

IF you think that the change in loads will help, it probably will. Having confidence in your ammo is almost (IMHO) as important as the actual performance of the ammo.

Will it effect your timing...that depends. There will be a difference in the feel of the pistol as it recoils/tracks between the two loads. But only you will be able to tell if it will be a good or bad change, for you.

Run drills with both loads, using a timer, score the targets and compare results. If you have a friend who can video tape you while you are firing the drills. that can be helpful in reviewing your performance.

Do that type of testing several times, and you will have a pretty good idea about what will work best for you and your pistol. Good luck.