Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly coated bullets in 9mm?

Revopop

So I'm going to coast through the rest of the season shooting Production. I've got a 9mm conversion for my SDB on the way, now I'm looking at other components. It looks like Precision Black bullets are the cheapest I've seen anywhere online. I've used jacketed, plated, or lead, but never coated lead. Any info, good bad or indifferent?

Also, if anybody's got any pet loads, I'd love to hear them. Powders I have on hand are Clays, Universal, HP38 (aka WW231), and I'm thinking about picking up some Titegroup for my .38spls.

These will be shot out of a Glock 17 with a stock barrel.

Thanks!

Edited by Glockopop

Start CLAYS at 3.0 and chrono from there, and 3.5 with 231 and chrono up, try loading as long as the magazine will hold....1.130 or more possibly(I dont know the profile). Clays will be softer, but 231 will be more accurate at longer distances......I wouldn't bother with TG with coated bullets, but that is just me.... :ph34r:

Good luck,

DougC

I have used nothing but moly bullets for the last year. I really like VV 320 with them for both my 9mm and .40 loads. Stay away from TG for lead and moly bullets they will smoke very bad. A friend of mine used TG with moly bullets and on a standard stage with 18 shots from one position he could see the targets from the smoke.

So I'm going to coast through the rest of the season shooting Production. I've got a 9mm conversion for my SDB on the way, now I'm looking at other components. It looks like Precision Black bullets are the cheapest I've seen anywhere online. I've used jacketed, plated, or lead, but never coated lead. Any info, good bad or indifferent?

Also, if anybody's got any pet loads, I'd love to hear them. Powders I have on hand are Clays, Universal, HP38 (aka WW231), and I'm thinking about picking up some Titegroup for my .38spls.

These will be shot out of a Glock 17 with a stock barrel.

Thanks!

3.2 grains of Clays Universal with a Federal primer chronos at 132.500 with very good shot to shot numbers. I've shot that load in my G-17 with a stock barrel for the last three years. The stock barrel was faster and more consistent at chrono, as well as more accurate than the Barsto barrel that I had fitted.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Stay away from Titegroup in .38 Special. It works well, and makes the PF within published data, but burns so hotly you can literally give yourself first degree burns during practice drills if you do the switch hand reload where you hold the cylinder to keep it from moving. BTDT.

Of the powders you have, I'd go with HP-38. I'm in the process of switching to Solo 1000.

oh sure after I cant make minor with 115 molys and solo 1000 in my glock 17 and search on this forum for another powder, finally figure i will try TG which makes minor easily. Only to find out it smokes this morning at a idpa match. And now this thread pops up and everyone says don't use tight group.

Edited by rupie

I use 3.0 gr of Solo 1000 with a 160 gr LRN - OAL 1.200". 2.8 gr when loaded to 1.140". You will need 3.2 - 3.4 with a 147 @ 1.140".

Joe do you use billy bullets? you are the first person I have seen using anything over 147 gr bullets. Is the slide sluggish at all? The difference in feel to me between 125 vs 147 isn't a big deal but the 125's are more snappy. I lowered my recoil spring with 147's and it helped. I might be interested in trying 160 gr. They would only have to go around 800 fps to make minor.

VV N320? You bastard!

I love that stuff, just haven't actually seen any locally for almost 3 years.

I've used N320 with great success in .45ACP and .38spl. before, it is without a doubt the cleanest, most consistent powder I've used. I just learned that a local range makes weekly runs to a local wholesaler, and they say they can get me anything I'd want for reasonable prices. I may try out some Solo 1000 and see if they can get me any N320, too.

Recommended Powders

Vihtavuori – N-320/N-340

Ramshot – Competition/Zip

Winchester – WST

Alliant – American Select/Power Pistol

Hodgdon – Universal Clays/HP38

Not Recommended Powders

Hodgdon – Titegroup

Vihtavuori – N-310

Precision Bullets Index Page (FAQs)

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

I was not too pleased with the Precision 147gr bullets. To their credit, they sent me an extra 500 bullets in the 124 gr. These worked fine out of my XD9 4" and 5". The 5" has a factory match grade barrel.

Recommended Powders

Vihtavuori – N-320/N-340

Ramshot – Competition/Zip

Winchester – WST

Alliant – American Select/Power Pistol

Hodgdon – Universal Clays/HP38

Not Recommended Powders

Hodgdon – Titegroup

Vihtavuori – N-310

Precision Bullets Index Page (FAQs)

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

I was not too pleased with the Precision 147gr bullets. To their credit, they sent me an extra 500 bullets in the 124 gr. These worked fine out of my XD9 4" and 5". The 5" has a factory match grade barrel.

I tried out quite a few of those powders when I was testing 147gr Precision bullets. Solo 1000 (not on the list from Precision, I doubt they even tested it, it's not that popular in the average reloading arena compared to the others) was the best for feel, accuracy, and NO SMOKE. WST was next best followed by N320. Ramshot Comp was fine until it got humid out and then looked like a white smoke grenade went off in front of you. Titegroup was the most accurate, believe it or not. Absolutely dead nutz accurate, but left billowing clouds of greyish black smoke. If you can live with the smoke, it was an awesome round.

Haven't had a chance to test any of the other black bullets except Masterblaster 180's in 40 cal. Been a bit preoccupied lately.