Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Pro

Dr64

I think there is a cheaper solution that seems to work for many.  They use an Undersized sizing die from Lee (some use the EGW version of the Lee U die).  I think they finish off with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Maybe somebody that uses that setup can comment on it?

I have been using a EGW undersized die for quite a while and have had no brass related problems using large quanities of once fired 40's

much cheaper than the case-pro

I use the Lee factory crimp die and the regular Dillon size die, and have never had any trouble with over size rounds, even with Glock Brass. With the Lee FCD, you can feel the ones that needed some help, and be assured they are all OK.

SA

I do use the undersize egw die in the 9mm setup since I had a bar sto put in one of my Berettas, just to be safe.

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 7:45 am on July 7, 2002)

I had someone tell me that they had problems with the undersize dies slowing there reloading down because the opening is not as large at the bottem of the die.  Has anyone else had these problems.  My problems is that these dies are not made to fit a sdb.

I'm a little slower with the lee FCD, but only when loading lead, and it can be more than a little slower.  On the 550 I can hit about 450 rounds an hour when loading plated, but with lead I have yet to hit 300 rounds an hour.

Undersized dies are something I'm not familiar with but I'm very familiar with my 9 mm cases developing bulges when shot from my Glock (with bar-sto barrel) after about 4 firings.  

Are these dies something that can be used with a Dillion 650 and what is a case pro.  I am currently using a Redding Progressive set of dies and am beginning to notice some of my rounds growing although it has taken longer than it did with my RCBS set.  

I have tried the Lee FCD but didn't like it after I had the carbide ring break while it was finish sizing a round.  Needless to say that case was very stuck.  This was one of the encouragements for me to get the Redding set.

HTR,

Undersized dies are a sizing/de-capping die that has been "shaved" on the bottom to allow the casings to be sized to the very bottom. Many shooters who get brass that have been shot through un-supported barrels (Glock) need to remove this bulge so it will function better in their firearm.

It is a "regular" die that you can use in your 650.

I currently use the EGW sizing die (Lee Die Custom Ground) and the rest is all Dillon dies. I used to have 10% out of 1000 rounds fail to chamber check. Now with the EGW die I get maybe 1% out of 1000.

A case pro is a expensive machine that takes brass and rolls them through special dies and returns then to SAAMI spec. It removes the bulge in the process. A nice machine if you got the cash.

The EGW die cost $20 US...

I've been loading 38 Super for years now. Back when I first started I bought a set of those chamber check dies and noticed that almost 1/3 of my loaded rounds wouldn't pass due to the bulge/flare on the base of the brass. So I spent years checking/sorting my ammo that way. Pass = match ammo. Fail = practice ammo. Then I bought an EGW undersize die and it does work. It'll size about 98% of my brass to the point that it'll pass the check die.

I also use it for the .40 because .40 brass has become so plentyful and cheap that I usually shoot it till I loose it or it cracks. But you've got to resize that, especially the Glock brass.  

Nothing personal against Case Pro but do you ever think about work-hardening that could make brass brittle? I believe firing and sizing is also working it. Brass also gets shorter and thinner. I know Case Pro says it corrects this but?? I would never use one.

I use EGW undersize for 40 but didn't like it for Super. I do grind the metal back and adjust it to flat against plate.  I also use a Lee factory crimp die and have for over 10 years. Its the only way to go. I don't push my brass and throw it away on a regular basis.

Bill,

All sizing works the brass. Roll or otherwise. But the issue here is that brass fired from a unsupported barrel, such as a factory Glock, will have a bulge in the base. By rolling it back to original dimensions, you push it back the same direction that it came out. This is better than pushing it down from the top.

It will also make it so that 100 % of the loads fit the chamber checker. It also eliminates one more potential place to have a malfunction.  And since this type of brass is available at a very low cost, it makes it an excellent way to go. Or at least I think so :)

Warpspeed

You are talking about once fired. That is very minor work hardening. Probably would work fine. Although I don't want extra work or problems. I can barely get my stuff loaded. I don't use crap brass to eliminate the problems you are talking about(feeding).

I see a lot of people buying old brass or CasePro-ing old brass. They tell me "Its going back to original dimensions" Yea and I think it could be work hardened. I think that is a bad idea.

• 4 months later...

KAL,

the one thing it does that a sizing die can't is reshape the rim on the case.  The other thing is it resizes the case the entire length and does it by pushing in instead of squeezing down.

And no, it will not work on loaded ammo.  

I have one.  My opinion is that it is a very well made machine.  However, if brass is bulged enough that a regular resizing die paired with a Lee Factory Crimp Die won't fix the bulges in the brass then you probably shouldn't shoot it.  Restoring the bulge in a badly deformed case, like some Glock 40SW cases, only weakens the case and invites other problems (KB).

At least in my experience, you still have to run the cases through a regular resizing die to get the "coke bottle" effect that helps to reduce bullet setback in semiauto loads.  The roll sizer does not reduce the diameter of the case enough in the case mouth area to get good bullet retention.

(Edited by DBR at 2:04 am on Dec. 6, 2002)

Kal,

I have used mine to take out the bulges in loaded ammo.You just have to take the transfer bar out and feed them in by hand. Since i started rolling my brass, i have found so few bad rounds that i am considering not even case checking anymore. The few bad ones i have found were cases that had gotten too long

James Ong