Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Options

freighter

This may be a stupid question and in the wrong place so apologies up front if it is. I want to get started in revolver competition, but as much as I would like to buy a S&W 625, I can't justify the cost just starting out. So that said what other guns with a slightly smaller price tag would be a good first gun choice. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This may be a stupid question and in the wrong place so apologies up front if it is. I want to get started in revolver competition, but as much as I would like to buy a S&W 625, I can't justify the cost just starting out. So that said what other guns with a slightly smaller price tag would be a good first gun choice. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A used 625? :D I was in the same boat but was offered one at a hell of a deal so I had to buy it. I just couldn't bring myself to buy the ones on gunbroker going for 7,8,900+.

Nothing wrong with shooting a 38/357 Smith. Speedloaders can be very fast, bullets are cheaper, shooting minor will teach you to not miss. A Smith and Wesson model 19 or 66 should be had for less than $400 depending on condition.

pm Snubby and see if he would part with his ruger 3" that is set up for moons. He shot the IRC last year (2007) with it. I am sure he would sell because he just purchased a 627

I could ask him for you. As he is by brother and his desk is 2 ft from mine.

Edited by ffl

All you're doing is putting off buying a 625. You're money ahead to just do it.

+1

The cost a 625 is higher than a 686 or 19 but you will need to get speed loaders, holster, and everything else to shoot a match. When you decide to get a 625 (which is the only gun to have for uspsa), you will have to buy new gear for that gun. Buy the 625. It will be cheaper in the long run and if you decide you don't like shooting it; it will be easy to sell.

Do you currently have any revo that can hold 6 and reliably and safely send rounds at 125+ PF? If so, shoot that until you encounter a deal on a 625 or a 25.

Be patient as the deals will pop up in pairs or triplets. If you are like me, when they appear, it happens a week after you spent the $$$ in your budget for some bottom feeder or something else that you had to have.

I've seen 4" 6 shot 686's go for $400 and 7 rounders go for around $500. Get it moon clipped and you van use either moons or speed loaders and save a bit off the cost of a 625. I currently use a 627 for ICORE and occasionally my 625 for other activities but can shoot the 627 in production class in IPSC. I started with a 7 round 686 and migrated later to the 627. A 686 is an excellent place to start and you can have a slightly better trigger to boot.

Be PATIENT.

I have yet to spend over 500 bucks on any 625 and 25-2 except for my 100% perfect 25-2. ;)

Until then, maybe you can RENT one from Carmoney, or Aierdal !!! :goof:

Hop

Dale ain't got none no mo, all he has is them sweeeeeeeet RIA! :roflol:

I would second to be patient, but I would also second to get a K or L frame to use while you're doing so. I shot my first USPSA Revolver match with a Model 14, and then by the time I shot a match again it was spring and I bought a Carmonized 625 from the man himself.

If you're shooting minor, it will train you to get those Alphas as quickly as possible, and that's really what this shooting stuff is all about. You probably won't win any matches, but you may be surprised at how well you do sometimes. And if you do win, you can rub everybody's nose in it! :devil:

+1 on getting a .45.

But, if you have a 629 or something similar they can also be moon clipped and work very well. The down side is finding RN bullets and the Clips are quite a bit more expensive. So unless you have one sitting around the added costs will pile up to the .45's cost.

Of course some of us have less sense than others and do it anyway. I just always wanted a 4" M29 in good ol' S&W Royal Blue. To be able to shoot it competitevly in competition, well that's priceless to my soul.

Unfortunately once bitten you will soon find yourself wishing for the simple days of Limited, then feel silly running around and just pulling the trigger with no action between positions. Kind of like a Vampire wishing for daylight but not wanting to get old....It is Halloween ya know. :roflol:

Be PATIENT.

I have yet to spend over 500 bucks on any 625 and 25-2 except for my 100% perfect 25-2. ;)

Until then, maybe you can RENT one from Carmoney, or Aierdal !!! :goof:

Hop

Dale ain't got none no mo, all he has is them sweeeeeeeet RIA! :roflol:

I've got bunches of wheelguns-just haven't shot them lately. And don't be hatin' the Rock-reliable and affordable! :P

Dave