Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

holsters

RickyH

Ghost, CR-Speed (you have to finish drilling 3 holes in the plastic of a RH holster-- piece of cake), & Safariland. I've heard rumors of lefty Limcats and Gugas, but never used one and they'd be rare items.

I've used all of the first 3 and currently run a CR Speed, though my old Ghost is a close second.

You can also get various forms of Kydex in LH, depending on the vendor and style.

I really like the converted-CR locking on the inside where it can't be bumped off accidentally (nb, the Ghost is the same way). It's no trouble to nudge it forward when you holster up and unlock it with your thumb when it's time to play. You really do need to use the lock when not shooting however.

I'm a lefty and I've got a Ghost for my STI for Limited and a Blade-tech DOH for my Glock 35 for Production. The Blade-tech is really fast and feels much more secure and less fiddly than a Ghost. With a Ghost, I have to worry about it being locked or unlocked.

Truth be told, if I could do it all over again (and I wasn't planning on shooting Open with an STI), I would've just gotten a Blade-tech DOH for my STI for Limited; I don't think I'd be giving up much (if anything) for speed switching from a Ghost to a Blade-tech DOH.

Lefty, I have the following for the STI(Open), in no particular order....Safariland 012, CR, Ghost, and the Guga

Safariland...I really don't like the lock on this one....but it's a pure left hand holster (not used for a while)

CR not a pure left hand and don't really like the location of the lock inside...

Guga I broke mine 3 time which result with 3 pistols falling off the holster....all while I was kneeling to check stages...it's on my standard rig (IPSC)

Ghost is a pure left hand holster and I uses this one all the time....the draw is not as smooth as the guga but still pretty smooth...

What make a pure left hand holster for me....that the control are on the holster the same way as for the right hand users...

I'm with Shred on the lefty CR, I actuallyprefer the lock on the inside, reducing the risk of it coming off accidentally, while still remaining very accessable for your thumb.

Edited by SouthpawG26

I have to agree with MPolans, and Nemo. Blade-tech DOH is the way to go unless you are shooting open. I have been told by several GM's that until you are to the point in your shooting abilities that you need to worry about .1 second being the difference in the match, the security of the DOH far outweighs the "perceived speed" of the open-type race holsters.

Here is another thing to ponder... Think of how many stages you will have in any given match, usually 5-7 for a club match. Next consider how many stages will start with the gun on a table, in a box, etc. Usually at least one stage. No need for a "speed" holster. Next look at how many stages where you will start away from the first target array, and you will need to make some form of movement before you get to shoot getting out of a chair, moving around a barricade or table etc. Usually 3-4. Again no real need for a "speed" holster as you will be taking a step or two before needing to draw your gun. So in the end that leaves only a 2-3 stages that you will draw and immediately need to engage a target. Even saying that a race holster gives you a .5 second advantage on a draw over a DOH ( I know totally ludicrous, but just using simple math), that is a total of 1-1.5 seconds over the match.

Now knowing my abilities :surprise:, I "KNOW" for a fact there is alot of work "I" need to do in a match before the 1.0-1.5 second I am saving on draw is going to make a difference in the match results. I can work on movement, target engagement, sight pictures, transitions, entering and leaving a box, etc. and see much bigger gains in speed over my draw. I would much rather have the security of a holster that I know is not going to take tumble because I forgot to flip the do-dad in place, or it gets bumped out of place. I have seen a number of shooters either drop there pistol in the dirt, or "flip" it it the dirt at the load and make ready command.

Just my .02 :cheers:

FWIW, my DOH is generally less secure than a locked race holster and it's been easy to get in the habit of always locking.

I like the DOH when I'm going for 'easy', but it's not faster than a dedicated race rig.

1 second over a match is ten points.. you may as well ask your competition to shoot a no-shoot right up front just to even it up.