Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20th Year Anniverary

SA Friday

Well, I survived 20 years of this crazyness. If that isn't an accomplishment, nothing is. I entered active duty military service on 30 Sep 88, and I remember that day like it happened yesterday. Some of the stuff in between is a bit fuzzy, but that's the way it goes. I've been to 21 countries, most of the U.S., Deployed in the Operation Desert Shield/Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom twice. I lost track of the other operations and training exercises years ago. I spent ten of those years working Air Cargo and Passanger Services and the last ten working Air Force Office of Special Investigations.

When I entered the AF, they were still wearing fatigues. I'll be retiring soon after two uniform changes since then. They still haven't gotten it right.... Maybe someday the AF will put an actual combat fighter on the uniform board....

When I entered the AF, Ronald Regan was President. We were spun up for war with the USSR. I'll be retiring under either McKain or Obama. We are spun up over fricken everything.... I think I liked it better when I joined. Leadership comes from the top, first.

When I think back, I doubt anyone could have told me I would have ended up in any of the places I ended up at and believed them. "Son, 5 years from now, you will be in Greenland investigating a death." Ya right dude. Lay off the dope. You really can't tell where life will take you, all you can do is try to influence the foreseeable future.

I wish I could do it all over again knowing what I know now. Man, would that be a ride.

Edited to add: I'm gonna mosy on out back now and smoke me a big ole Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 to celebrate. Damn I wish I could have some single malt with it.

Edited by SA Friday

Thanks for staying with it because it is something the average person doesn't even think about. I was in Biloxi, MS when President Kennedy ordered the Cuban blockade and I was in Germany when he got killed. Defcon 1 was pretty dicey inside the 5K zone. I landed in Thailand the day Johnson announced he was sending troops to Thailand to support the war. I guess he started to micromanage after someone pointed out there were already 50,000 people in country at 4 different Air Force bases. When I returned I got spit at even though I was in a blue uniform instead of a green one. Things were not a lot better the second time over there under Nixon and things really went to hell in Iran under Carter.

I don't want this to get political but if we had the same draft that Israel does then maybe we could get some leaders that understand the military.

This is a different time zone as I retired with 23 in January 81. Thanks again for your service.

Nice accomplishment - Thank you for your service :cheers:

Sean, thank you for your service for OUR country. I still say you are too damn young to have 20 years in the bag!!

Take care, see you when you get back.

abs