Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need to maximize my hearing protection,

HSMITH

I have been using good plugs (33db rated and inserted properly) with Pro-Ears Dim + muffs over them, and I am still having issues. What is THE absolute best configuration at reducing noise, no price cap, no anything, just want some options on the most effective noise reduction system I can find? I am ready to shave my head to try to improve the seal on the Pro-Ears, try a motorcycle helmet, etc. I need to do something!!

Well, in my case, the best solution turned out to be finding some ear plugs that fit me well (Howard Leight Smartfit).

Until I tried these, I never had any luck getting a really good seal. With these, fully inserted, I can almost block out all external sound - to the point that it can be difficult to understand what someone right next to me is saying if they don't speak loudly.

If I plug with these and put my regular muffs over them, it's like being on the other side of a big concrete wall.

I use the moulded plugs and when I have them made I tell the guy (Decot at the Nats) that I want them to seal up TIGHT. He's been pretty good at doing that for me. Basically, hold the ears up just like you should when inserting the roll up foam plugs, but you'll have to hold them while the silicone sets.

Still wear muffs on top too.

Todd, any idea what the NRR is on the molded plugs like you have?

Just to clarify, I am using the highest NRR disposable plugs I can find, plus the Dimension + Pro Ears and it isn't enough. Tinnitis, headaches, etc from matches are getting really old.

Howard,

I figure you have the bases covered, but I'd better mention a few things anyway.

I rarely see any shooter properly installing their ear plugs. Maybe they get there, I don't know. I was taught to reach over the top of my head with the other hand and pull up on my ear as I inserted the plug. I know it makes a difference with the plugs that I use.

And, while shooting or RO'ing, make sure to keep the mouth closed so sound doesn't enter the mouth cavity and transmit through the bones.

I assume you've played with the gain settings on your current ears? Along with the sensitivity? http://www.pro-ears.com/troubleshoot.htm

For muffs, I get great fit and function from 3M's 1440 muffs. A good choice if you want to try a non-electronic pair for testing.

Might be worth a call to Pro-Ear and see if they have any options for fit?

Howard,

I figure you have the bases covered, but I'd better mention a few things anyway.

I rarely see any shooter properly installing their ear plugs. Maybe they get there, I don't know. I was taught to reach over the top of my head with the other hand and pull up on my ear as I inserted the plug. I know it makes a difference with the plugs that I use.

And, while shooting or RO'ing, make sure to keep the mouth closed so sound doesn't enter the mouth cavity and transmit through the bones.

I assume you've played with the gain settings on your current ears? Along with the sensitivity? http://www.pro-ears.com/troubleshoot.htm

For muffs, I get great fit and function from 3M's 1440 muffs. A good choice if you want to try a non-electronic pair for testing.

Might be worth a call to Pro-Ear and see if they have any options for fit?

I've got a set of 98DB Muffs. They are industrial and I can't hear crap if I have them on. I'm thinking about using them when I RO 3 gun!

You may still be getting transmission through the skull, etc. Not much you can do about that... If your muffs aren't sealing against your face completely, you're losing efficiency there, too. You might opt for a quieter gun/load combo :lol: or see a doc and determine if you might actually have something else going on. The headaches might be from pressure on the head from the muffs, or pressure in the ear canal from the plugs (or both).

I've got a set of 98DB Muffs. They are industrial and I can't hear crap if I have them on. I'm thinking about using them when I RO 3 gun!

Mr. Estill,

Please let us know what kind of ear muffs these are. At 98db noise reduction, that would give you absolute silence anytime the gun wasn't going off.

Mr. Smith.

If I'm not mistaken, and I have been before, the 33 db reduction that properly inserted disposable plugs advertise is about as good as you can get with plugs. Those and peltor electronic muffs are what I wear when shooting my open gun indoors with good success. However the poor RO next to me usually has something else to say :surprise:

fwiw

dj

Open guns are what bothers me, my 6" with Clays is very quiet (comparatively) and I don't have a problem shooting it. RO'ing Open shooters is also a problem, short guns or guns with a bunch of blow holes in them will give me a headache and ringing in 20 rounds.

Dave, the transmission through the bones being part of the problem is entirely possible, it almost feels like the pressure waves coming off the Open guns is more the problem than the noise.....

Open guns are what bothers me, my 6" with Clays is very quiet (comparatively) and I don't have a problem shooting it. RO'ing Open shooters is also a problem, short guns or guns with a bunch of blow holes in them will give me a headache and ringing in 20 rounds.

Dave, the transmission through the bones being part of the problem is entirely possible, it almost feels like the pressure waves coming off the Open guns is more the problem than the noise.....

Howard,

I have two sets of earplugs that are custom made ($40 each). They inject silicone into the ear to make a mold. You have to "screw" the finished plugs into your ears (No smarta$$ comments allowed :D ) I then wear cheap Browning non-electronic over those plugs. I then suffer from CHS (can't hear shit) :( . I shoot open inside and the noise is very subdued.

I also use them when I ride my Harley on extended road trips to kill the wind noise. These bad boys have been tested up to 100MPH. The plugs will not come out till you take them out. Quite comfortable also.

Where did I get them you ask? Well the military made one set for me and the other set I got from a vendor at the US Trap championships when they were here in Vandalia Ohio. If you find somebody who makes those, I bet you would be happy.

I had a short open gun built a few years ago and it had 2 small barrel holes that were causing me to have headaches after matches. I had my smith rebarrel it and eliminate the holes and it fixed the problem for me. Latest full length gun has no holes and I just use Pro-Ears and no plugs and the headaches have not returned. The short violent bursts of pressure against my face and head when shooting the gun were the cause for me, not the NRR on my muffs or plugs. I don't seem to have as severe a problem when RO'ing shooters with similiar setups but I do tend to give a bit more space bewteen myself and the shooter at times if needed.

Howard

check your pro ears are sealing all the way around, my last pair didn't and I've had permanent hearing damage since then. I found the head band didn't flex enough to sear behind my ears.

have you thought about going to the old standby, the peltor ultimate 10, I'e always had better luck with the wire type headbands.

Howard, keep in mind the NRR is not the be-all end-all of how good your hearing protection is. The actual reduction is not the same for all frequencies. It is possible for a set of NRR 30's to actually dampen less than a set of 20's for a particular frequency. Take a look at the charts that come with the protection.

Not sure what the normal range of frequencies are for open and standard guns, might make for some interesting research...

Howard,

I've had issues with the dimension pro ears plus series not sealing well. My peltors with a lower NRR seem to do a better job than the pro ears. I tried modifying the head band so it exerts a bit more pressure to seal better but its still not 100%.

Simple Howard. Quit ROing and shoot Production.

:devil:

Wear a hat and big glasses. Try to cover and cushion as much of your head from the concussion as you possibly can. The motorcycle helmet is not a bad idea if your hearing is your main concern but I think it would make shooting very difficult.

Personally I use some custom molded ear plugs that I got from a guy at the Texas State Limited match and put a set of peltor wrap arounds when I am shooting but I only shoot Limited.

These are the guys I used am I am very happy.

Another option is to quit shooting open. I will take the offending guns off your hands if it means I will save your hearing. :rolleyes:

Edited by austinkroe