Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I thought it might be good to start a topic wherein people can post general questions about the match, and obviously, I'm starting.

What I would like to know is What is the match hotel?

My slot info isn't here yet, and I though I better be checking for reservations now, if there still is any room.

Muchas grashus.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a USPSA official match hotel.

When I called up the Comfort Inn & Suites to make a reservation starting September 12, the woman asked, "Are you with the U.S. shooting something?" They know we're coming!

Last year, we stayed at the Best Western - okay place, but a bit pricey, and they lost a couple of people's reservations and charged them more than planned because of the lost reservation.

This year, we're trying out the new Comfort Inn. Weekly rate is $500, they're 2 rooms with a kitchenette and that rate includes a "real" breakfast. The hotel was opened in May, and is ON the road to the range, so there should be less traffic.

The Cimarron, IMHO, looked like someplace that I wouldn't stay (but I am a snob!)

BrianH - I found this site to be the best resource for finding rooms

Bend Chamber of Commerce

OK, I'll ask my question:

Anybody have a match schedule? Specifically I need to know when is the Limited match prize table? I have to take my brother Eugene to Eugene to catch a flight home.

This will be my first nationals, and my first big traveling match. What are some things to look for, watch out for, pitfalls, ect.... I guess I'm asking what is expected of the shooters, and what is expected of the match and RO's? Am I over analyzing this thing? It is still 3 months away and butterflies show up everytime it's mentioned!!

Mark

It is still 3 months away and butterflies show up everytime it's mentioned!!

Umm, you might want to check your calendar. Today is 7-24-03. The RaceGun Limited nationals start 9-13-03 and the Open nationals start 9-17-03. That's less than 2 months.

Rule #1: Do not sit on the chairs nor take up space under the shade and/or rain shelter, unless it's your squad's turn.

There's a whole thread on match ettiquette but it doesn't come up in the search. (benos, check that out, a null result (not no results) searching on ettiquette, title only.) Here are some related threads...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...3&hl=ettiquette

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...2&hl=ettiquette

Bring a pair of gloves, rain jacket and a gun-cover/anti-dust rag of some sort. A folding chair is nice to have too. There's a Wal-Mart at the southern end of Bend where you can get such things as chairs and coolers.

I think I was at the Super-8 last year. Not a bad place, though nothing to write home about. Wherever you stay, it'll take you 30+ minutes to get from Bend to the range. There is nothing but desert between the two, and nothing besides the range at the range.

Spare time in Bend? If you've got a spare 30 minutes, cruise up Pilot Butte. It's right on the edge of town on the way to the range. The Pilot Burger at the cafe at the bottom is reportedly huge. If you've got a few hours free, the High Desert Museum 10 minutes south of Bend is cool if you're into museums and pioneer-type stuff. If you've got an afternoon free, Newberry Crater (30 mi south of Bend) has the biggest flow of obsidian and pumice I've ever seen. The view and road to the top of Paulina Peak kicks ass. If you like rock climbing, or big cliffs and steep hikes, Smith Rock State Park just east of Terrebone is the place. There's also Mt Bachelor and more mountains to the west of town.

Driving from Portland? Stop off at Mt Hood if you don't get to visit snow much. There's a big lodge and year-round ski area there. Go by Hood River and the Full Sail Brewing company if possible. Check out the waterfalls on the scenic route between Portland and Hood River.

I'm really freaked now.... only TWO Months to go!!!! Our group is more of the beachchairs, kicked back, watching the sun go down, drinking a rum and coke crowd. They do have Bikini clad pasters and steel setters, right?

I recieved my slot and propaganda yesterday in the mail.

One thing I didn't see was where and when the shooters meeting is going to be.

I just got off the phone with Sedro and this is what they had to say.

LIMITED

Match Dates: 13th -17th

Registration at the "Riverhouse" from 1:30 - 5:30pm Saturday Sept 13th.

Shooters Meeting at the "Riverhouse" 7pm Saturday Sept. 13th

Shooting 14-16 starting at 8am

Shoot-offs 17th @ 8am

Prize table ...after the shoot-offs on Wed. the 17th.

Got my packet today for "Open Gun". Will be shooting "B" class. Anybody else shooting Open... hopefully Eric and Nolan, just have to see these guys in a BIKINI!

Match Dates: 18th -20th

Registration at the "Riverhouse" from 1:30 - 5:30pm Wednesday Sept 17th.

Shooters Meeting at the "Riverhouse" 7pm Wednesday Sept. 17th

Shooting starts Thursday, Sept. 18th @8:00am

Shoot-offs 21st @ 8am

Prize table ...after the shoot-offs on Sunday. the 21st.

The Cimarron, IMHO, looked like someplace that I wouldn't stay (but I am a snob!)

Kathy, actually the Cimarron was fine. The rooms were clean, and in good shape... each room had a microwave and a refrigerator (to keep water in of course :D )... and it was close to a good 'watering hole' and other evening entertainment for those that were interested. As far as staff hotels go, this was certainly one of the nicer ones I have stayed in (although it certainly got beat out by the hotel at Area 3 last weekend).

what is expected of the match and RO's?

Mark, I was on staff last year and will be again this year, so I should be able to answer your question, but am not quite sure what you asking? If you can clarify, I will try to help.