Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem inserting brass on 550

I'm finding that the slowest step on my new 550b is inserting a new case (.40) into position 1.

Changing the position of the "paper clip" doesn't help at all and even with it completely out of the way, the case often seems to "catch" on the shellplate and have to be jiggled to get it to go in. I sometimes wonder if the primer cup is sticking up too high (it measures correctly) or if the shell plate is not in proper vertical alignment with the ramp.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Pull your handle down to lift up the ram. Try inserting the brass, if it goes in smooth see if it is the primer cup hitting. Adjust the op rod spring. Is it big nicks in the brass rim? I always seat the bolt then back off 1/2 of a flat of the allen wrench.

This may sound kinda weird but I switched from Dillon case lube to Hornady One Shot and the problem went away. The Dillon spray is a little sticky and the cases were actually sticking to my fingers and being pulled slightly out of alignment when I removed my hand after inserting the case in station 1, causing the top of the case to "hit" the die misaligned on the upstroke.

I would definitely try the above suggestions as they are all good.

Edited by baerburtchell

Two springs need to be adjusted on a regular basis.

The wing nut that will raise the deck plate and the "paper clip" spring.

Just keep the right sized cap screw (Allen) (hex head) tool handy for the "paper clip" spring.

In my opinion, the initial set up won't keep them set up for life; they need periodic adjustments.

FM

Two springs need to be adjusted on a regular basis.

The wing nut that will raise the deck plate and the "paper clip" spring.

This may sound kinda weird but I switched from Dillon case lube to Hornady One Shot and the problem went away. The Dillon spray is a little sticky and the cases were actually sticking to my fingers and being pulled slightly out of alignment when I removed my hand after inserting the case in station 1, causing the top of the case to "hit" the die misaligned on the upstroke.

I think one or the other of these suggestions (or a little bit of both) will be the answer.

When I set up a 550 I wind the powder failsafe wingnut spring until it is pretty well swashed all the way when the handle is pushed hard forward to prime without pulling the powder measure over too hard, some fiddling may be required until you achieve trhe desired result. This will ensure the platform will return the maximum amount it can, and clear the primer cup.

Case lube. I found exactly this problem but with the Square Deal. If you overlube or leave the cases for a long time afetr lubing this can occur. The obvious answers are, use a little less lube or change, use as quickly as is practical.

Thanks for the responses, I'll do some more testing this weekend.

I'm wondering now if, when I go to insert the brass, I'm pressing the platform down just a little bit and catching on the lip of the primer cup. Does that make sense or do I need to increase my medication again?

Thanks to all. Backing out a bit on the center bolt seems to have helped. I also changed the way I was inserting the brass. I had been sliding it along the back edge of the plate (deck plate?), but I changed to sliding it along the spring.

It takes a little while to get the knack of it too.

• 1 month later...
Scale

ruler3.jpg

Oldtimers like me call that a ruler. A scale is something on a fish.

Machinists, engineers, machine builders, draftsmen, etc would all disagree that is clearly a scale. :roflol:

That is definitely a scale - Queen Elizabeth is a ruler.

It's the pivot bolt that ned to be adjusted. You'll have to trial and error it to get the proper tension. The brass should just slide in. If you are using carbide dies for the resizer you don't need case lube. Save it for the rifle brass. Don't use a spray on case lube, use a roll on pad. If yoyu get the case nbecks lubed, it could cause the case necks to collapse. I learnd the hard way.

Graham,

This probably doesn't have anything to do with your situation, but it's a nice trick nonetheless. Say your reloading bench is perfectly level. If you put a 1/4" or 5/16" flat washer between the bench and the press, under the right, front mounting hole, the gravity now in effect in station one will help keep a case all the way back in the Shellplate after you let go of it. (I never used the paper clip thing.)

be

Graham,

This probably doesn't have anything to do with your situation, but it's a nice trick nonetheless. Say your reloading bench is perfectly level. If you put a 1/4" or 5/16" flat washer between the bench and the press, under the right, front mounting hole, the gravity now in effect in station one will help keep a case all the way back in the Shellplate after you let go of it. (I never used the paper clip thing.)

be

That's an interesting idea... Mine runs pretty solid, but occasionally I get the case that doesn't stay under the shell plate and wants to hit the resize die instead of going into it. This might be worth a look.

If you put a 1/4" or 5/16" flat washer between the bench and the press, under the right, front mounting hole, the gravity now in effect in station one will help keep a case all the way back in the Shellplate after you let go of it.

Cool idea. I've never checked the level but will.

My problem was resolved by adjusting the center bolt, but I like the idea of an answer that eliminates the need for the spring.

Now if I can just figure out a way to rig my old Lee Pro case feeder onto the 550.... :unsure: