Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New build suggestions

1911vm

Vlad

as a certified caspian lover, I gotta ask, do you already have 45 mags for it. caspian never made any, and I think promag did in the past, but I don't see them listed anymore. plus if I recall correctly, they only held 10 or 11 rounds.

as much as it pains me to say this, you might reconsider and put your upper on a sti or para frame

Vlad

as a certified caspian lover, I gotta ask, do you already have 45 mags for it. caspian never made any, and I think promag did in the past, but I don't see them listed anymore. plus if I recall correctly, they only held 10 or 11 rounds.

as much as it pains me to say this, you might reconsider and put your upper on a sti or para frame

they now have 12 maybe 13 round mags. that is why I made the desision

Ray recommending STI or Para!? (Sorry for thread drift) I can appreciate the quixotic nature of this project, though, having been on several during my shooting travels.

As far as S-I I like the weight in my hand not just in the slide so I like steel frames. And it just seems that S-I .n .45 would have more perceived recoil. PARA takes to much money to make it to the same quality as S-I or Caspian. But can never get back even part of what you put in to it. So unless I find a PARA or another double stack steel gun that all the work has been done Caspian is the way.

Ray recommending STI or Para!? (Sorry for thread drift) I can appreciate the quixotic nature of this project, though, having been on several during my shooting travels.

As far as S-I I like the weight in my hand not just in the slide so I like steel frames. And it just seems that S-I .n .45 would have more perceived recoil. PARA takes to much money to make it to the same quality as S-I or Caspian. But can never get back even part of what you put in to it. So unless I find a PARA or another double stack steel gun that all the work has been done Caspian is the way.

We have a shooter who got an EDGE in .45...like the .40 I use, the recoil is abated by having the weight all out front in the gun. If you wanted more weight in your hands I would think one of Dawson's Heavy Ice Magwells would balance out an STI or SV nicely. I agree Para's are hard to get right but in my experience once you have the slide to frame fit right (oversize Caspian or STI slide, or Accurails) the rest is "standard" 1911 customizing. The thing that I do like about Para's is that most custom parts fit without having to take into account the wider dimensions found in parts of the STI or SV subframes. And Para's have both STI/SV or Caspian beat all to hell when it comes to magazine price.

Gino

how soon you forget, my first open gun was a para

I will go of topic just a little bit. You said that you started with PARA open that means that you now run S_I , why switch could you have built on the para?

A word of caution. The Caspian in .45 might not make weight in ESP or CDP. Seems like I asked that question a couple of years ago on this Forum. I honestly don't recall the answer. I guess with a little trimming here and there you could. A regular plug instead of a full length GR would help.

A word of caution. The Caspian in .45 might not make weight in ESP or CDP. Seems like I asked that question a couple of years ago on this Forum. I honestly don't recall the answer. I guess with a little trimming here and there you could. A regular plug instead of a full length GR would help.

Thanks that would definitely be a concern I am not even sure how to figure out total weight.

But why then Para not a problem, and what make Caspian that much heavier?

Edited by 1911vm

Gino

how soon you forget, my first open gun was a para

I will go of topic just a little bit. You said that you started with PARA open that means that you now run S_I , why switch could you have built on the para?

it was along time ago, when the 1st para steel frame hit the market. I guess I should have said my first full house comp gun was a para in 45. years later I converted it to a limited gun by cutting off the comp and putting a front sight on the slide. and I now run a couple of caspians in 38 supercomp.

Well. my first Open gun was an SS .45 with iron sights...I moved to Paras when they first came on the market with their aluminum frames and built a .40 Open gun on a steel frame when IPSC/USPSA were considering .40 cal minimum for major. I still have that gun (shot it in last week's match, nostalgic mood) and another in .38 Super. I also have an STI based Open gun (bought from another BE member) and the Edge. I haven't built an STI/SV based gun in either Limited or Open configurations yet, but what little customizing/refitting of parts I've done on a couple of pending projects has shown me they will have quirks different from the Paras.

But all that said, and the magazine issue being the major stumbling block, I shall refer to my original post and say tilt at that windmill...you'll certainly have a unique gun when you're done.

Here ya go. 9mm long slide.

very very cool. :surprise: What mag well is on this gun

that's an easy one, EGW, they are the only one currently making any aftermarket parts for the caspians.

Craig custom made a magwell a long time ago, I remember buying one at the caspian table at some match, and Gary Smith was kinda surprised anyone would want one.

I will look into the weight issue. I have been thinking about building a Caspian in .45 this winter. Got to have something to do when it turns cold and the snow drifts get above the roof. :roflol:

Any info on the weight? I am now having second thoughts about the build. The capacity, cost of mags. and the weight. I think I am going to start looking for a Para 14-45 that has been re-done for limited 10 or something like that. :blink:

I have a Charles Daly (Bul M5) in 45 ACP. It has a polymer frame and is lighter than my Edge by a fair amount. It was only $579 at the time and was made in Israel. The price is higher now. I shot it in matches right out of the box with a 3# trigger.

Not the most well known gun but very nice for the price. I have at least 75,000 rounds through it.

Para mags fit with only a slight modification to the mag latch notch.

I have 2 Paras...one a 5" Carry Comp open type gun and the other an original Para frame (before they built complete guns and .40 S&W cal.) with a Colt slide and Kart bushing barrel Limited gun. The Limited gun balances perfectly for me and is not too heavy (I'm soon to be 62). Some of the newer single stacks seem too heavy and unbalanced. The STI/SV based guns don't balance right for me. That being said...I can get one for about the same price as having a Para worked over to my specs but a Para Limited doesn't take that much - spelled $$$$$. The key point is getting the mags tuned just like the STI/SV. My smith did it without aftermarket parts and I added Dawson basepads. Mine works, where I know two people who couldn't get TOP NAME (well known high $ Paras) to work after a number of return trips to the smith. I also have reservations about Caspian mags.

Were I to do it all over again...I would still go with the Para but leave off some of the extras. If I was to have the $$$$'s for a new blaster it would be a STI because I can get one quick but the extra rounds are not going to make me an instant winner so I'm standing pat.

Just one of many of MHO

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so if I change and go to another .45 double stack lower. Who has the highest capacity STI or PARA I do not know how many rounds fit in to 140mm tube or what can you add to para as far as base plates.

And a friend of mine is just suggesting to go and get Glock 21 :surprise: I am not their yet.