Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a class to shoot....

atomicferret

Why did you pick the class that you shoot in? IE...why did you pick Scoped Tac over Open? what made you decide on HM? Why do you still shoot TI? Etc...

I have been looking at match results from a lot of major matches, HM and TI generally don't have very many shooters. Less than 25 per class most of the time. That is one of the reasons that I am now building a TI rifle. When I finish 15/15 in TI and someone asks me how I did at the match, I can say, "i came in 15th in my class". ;)

I have heard some people say that they were going to move to open because their eyesight was getting worse. The dots and c-mores let them continue shooting...

What about you?

Why did you pick the class that you shoot in? IE...why did you pick Scoped Tac over Open? what made you decide on HM? Why do you still shoot TI? Etc...

I have been looking at match results from a lot of major matches, HM and TI generally don't have very many shooters. Less than 25 per class most of the time. That is one of the reasons that I am now building a TI rifle. When I finish 15/15 in TI and someone asks me how I did at the match, I can say, "i came in 15th in my class". ;)

I have heard some people say that they were going to move to open because their eyesight was getting worse. The dots and c-mores let them continue shooting...

What about you?

There's a saying in Cowboy Action Shooting, "Pick your catagory wisely". I've come in 2nd or 3rd when there's only 2 or 3 of us in the many catagories. :roflol:

However, the more I look at what it takes to be a competitor; the reloading, dry-fire practice, and overall work with each gun, the less I care about ranking and the more time I want to spend with guns I really like. The FAL I'm building won't do MOA at 100 yards, but it'll be one I built and a gun design I've loved for years. Same goes for the Sistema on my hip--someome really must have used her as a hammer in years gone by. I've fixed her up and she does as good or better than me.

My 2 greatly devalued cents.

Leam

I love shooting Iron Sights, I really get a kick out of beating scope guys with them. I really like the skill level needed to shoot them well. I really feel that there is majic in optical devices which I don't understand and therefore they are evil. I have never had a scope that wouldn't wander or let you down at a criticle moment ( yes I have had some very top end glass, Acogs, Night Force, U.S. optics, Meopta, etc. ).

Yes I do know how to shoot Optics, I won SMM3G with an TA-11 once.....in this century.

NO I DO NOT HAVE PERFECT EYE-SIGHT!!! If you don't believe that just look through my shooting glasses at a match sometime. They aren't that thick just for safety!!

Will I stay with Irons?? I don't know, as of late there isn't much to keep me doing it, as everyone seems to think there isn't much competition in it even though it is one of the most hotly contested divisions. I will say this, Iron Sight shooting is diing off in the U.S. and pretty soon only the Hi-Power guys will be shooting them.

NOTHING BEATS IRONS UP CLOSE!!!! KurtM

I love the iron sights (TI) and was faster with Irons before my eye sight starting failing me. If I could I would still be shooting TI today.

If my eyes get any worse I will be shooting Open (my guess within 2 years). I have already started aquiring the weapons to do so but will hold off until my eyes tell/demand me to.

Shoot what you enjoy more...it is all about the enjoyment...right?

Scott

I chose my division based on the guns I like. I am not going to win my division, but I'm going to have fun shooting 60%!

My favorite is HM w/ irons and no muzzle brake. (I don't like the extra noise.) But, most of our local matches are under 100 yards, and it just seems a waste to use 7.62x51 at 20 yards. So, I typically shoot Limited Minor.

Tac Optic.

Just because I can.

After playing Army for 20 years. And not being allowed to put a Scope on my Rifle most of the time. I just like to be able to pick what guns I want to shoot.

I have shot Iron and have done OK.

Maybe it is a disestablishmentarianist thing.

Jim M ammo

I'm looking to start some 3gun-

I'm curious to as to division...for example - my pistol is limited/l10, my SG is limited/tac and my rifle would be open-minor...I think (MP5 w/optics). So do you go with open due to rifle...or pistol due to it being limited/L10?

I'm I as confused as I think?

A potato digger would put you in open no doubt! However a single optic on a H&K MP-5 would put you into Tactical Scope division, not open. Then again you could drop the optic and shoot irons on the H&K, at the ranges a 9mm is good at Irons are all that is needed. KurtM

Thanks KurtM! so if I drop the sear in the HK51 then Heavy Heavy Metal? :ph34r: Honestly the Aimpoint is so "spot on" with the MP5 I hate to think of moving it...I'll call it dumb luck

I took some of your advice on the pistol grips for the Benelli's - NO PG for the SG - I think it was you...

I just bought a M1S90 from Benny - lightly used but getting it from him and he did the work to begin with...I'm pretty excited about it.

Somethings have happened recently that reinforces the carpe diem thing so I called BH and asked what he could do!...no point sitting on the side lines yet...and nice folks to deal with

A buddy has a "digger" with the big tripod and bike seat. Really cool to watch and a piece of history but that is about it for me...just always thought that little grip was funny

I was shooting 3 gun before there was a Tac Optics division. I had a limited SG and pistol, but my rifle had an optic on it, so USPSA says I was in open division. My best finish was 12th in Open at the 2002 3Gun Nats with Tac Optics gear.

Now we have a Tac Optics division and that's where I shoot. Every once in a while I will shoot a limited rifle at a local club match, but if I'm traveling I'm bringing an optic.

What the heck is a 'potato digger'?

Finding out is easy.

Do you like reloading shotgun by hand or with tec-loaders/mags?

If tecloaders/mags than you are an Open shooter.

Do you like a 223 size rifle with unlimited mag size or 308 rifle with 20 rds?

If the latter you are in a HM class.

Do you like a pump shotgun or auto?

IF the latter you are HM Optics otherwise you are regular Heavy Metal

Do you like a scope or iron sights on your 223 size rifle?

If the latter you are TI if not you are TO.

Nick

It's a reasonable question based on placement in class. I have allways shot Tactical Scope at Mystery Mountain. I place about 50-60%, but in Open I would be around 30-40%. The difference is where you walk the prize table.

I shoot irons because it's fun oh and I still have a set of balls. Too many people seem to look for something to make shooting easier. Fine, if that's what you want. Personally, I like the challenge. I'm putting together a scoped rifle and will probably run it in a few matches just for fun, but I'll probably stick with irons because certain aspects of it are very challenging. Great eyesight is definitely not required. I say if it looks fun, try it. If you like shooting that class, or division (whatever) stick with it and have fun.

What the heck is a 'potato digger'?

1895 Colt machine gun. Widespread usage before the 1917 was developed. It had a toggle under the barrel that swung down in an arc when fired. If the gun was tripod mounted close to the ground, the toggle dug a hole-- hence "potato digger."