Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gun for my son?

Bigpops

Hello all!

My 6 year old son has shown a huge interest in the shooting sports. He runs around going "daddy do the buzzer thing" in which I begin with the "shooter are you ready....." then we get to the Buzz sound and he proceeds to load and shoot his Red Ryder at our home range.

Anyway, my wife and I would like to get him a pistol that is close to a real weapon, but is lighter and not as powerful. I am looking at various BB pistols and airsoft types.

Do any of you have suggestions?

Thanks!

My son is older and still break things easily. I'd suggest either a very small cap gun or something that shoot plastic disks that can be seen. Further, this gives you a great opportunity for starting to talk about gun safety.

Leam

• 1 month later...
My son is older and still break things easily. I'd suggest either a very small cap gun or something that shoot plastic disks that can be seen. Further, this gives you a great opportunity for starting to talk about gun safety.

Leam

+1 for the above. Think small and think safety. When he's ready you can move him up to a Walter P22. Your a smart dad so I'm sure what ever you decide will be a wise choice.

LP

I started training two sons of my own who have both gone on to be state subjunior shotgun champions [sporting clays] and at least a dozen of their friends, I would recommend that any gun handling begin with a long gun NOT a pistol. From the first time they even saw a firearm, gun safety was emphasized. They were encouraged to come get me anytime they were curious and even just wanted to handle a firearm [or knife] and I almost always could make time to open the gun safe and hand it to them, while I stayed at arm's length. We started with an over/under suction dart-firing shotgun, went to BB rifle at tin can on a string [no front sight for you shotgunners - target focus only] ping pong balls on the ground as per Bob Brister and on to clay targets hanging on a bush or stick with a .410 [note .410 for static targets only do NOT start a kid with a .410 on moving targets -it's an expert's gun] All this by age 5 for oldest and under 4 for younger one.

I know this is mostly a handgun forum and you are obviously interested in starting him with a pistol, BUT think about it. The short barrel of a pistol is MUCH harder to keep pointed in a safe direction AT ALL TIMES and much harder for you to control at arm's length by grabbing it if necessary when [not if] it is pointed in the wrong direction. By using a long barreled firearm you can control the action at all times and yes, I did have to "DQ" both kids [long before I started USPSA and even knew about DQ] at one time or another. Believe me nothing gets their attention like telling them that they have made an unsafe move and that their day is over until next time, even if it is only with a dart gun or similar.

By the time both kids were ready for the field [oldest lost interest for a few years and didn't get hunter safety until age 11, youngest at age 8] gun safety was instilled. Nevertheless, we still have a little 'pep talk' about safety before we leave the truck to hunt or go to range. Especially now that the oldest is going out with friends on his own now, I've had a pre-season safety talk with him and his hunting buddies explaining again that no game animal is worth someone getting hurt over. And yes, both kids have had an AD in the past but safe gun handling saved the day. I believe that's why in USPSA people say it's not IF but WHEN you will have a DQ. I can't emphasize enough how important safe gun handling is at all times and the best way I've seen is for the parent to control it by being at arm's length. You'll know when a pistol is appropriate for your child.

I started training two sons of my own who have both gone on to be state subjunior shotgun champions [sporting clays] and at least a dozen of their friends, I would recommend that any gun handling begin with a long gun NOT a pistol. From the first time they even saw a firearm, gun safety was emphasized. They were encouraged to come get me anytime they were curious and even just wanted to handle a firearm [or knife] and I almost always could make time to open the gun safe and hand it to them, while I stayed at arm's length. We started with an over/under suction dart-firing shotgun, went to BB rifle at tin can on a string [no front sight for you shotgunners - target focus only] ping pong balls on the ground as per Bob Brister and on to clay targets hanging on a bush or stick with a .410 [note .410 for static targets only do NOT start a kid with a .410 on moving targets -it's an expert's gun] All this by age 5 for oldest and under 4 for younger one.

I know this is mostly a handgun forum and you are obviously interested in starting him with a pistol, BUT think about it. The short barrel of a pistol is MUCH harder to keep pointed in a safe direction AT ALL TIMES and much harder for you to control at arm's length by grabbing it if necessary when [not if] it is pointed in the wrong direction. By using a long barreled firearm you can control the action at all times and yes, I did have to "DQ" both kids [long before I started USPSA and even knew about DQ] at one time or another. Believe me nothing gets their attention like telling them that they have made an unsafe move and that their day is over until next time, even if it is only with a dart gun or similar.

By the time both kids were ready for the field [oldest lost interest for a few years and didn't get hunter safety until age 11, youngest at age 8] gun safety was instilled. Nevertheless, we still have a little 'pep talk' about safety before we leave the truck to hunt or go to range. Especially now that the oldest is going out with friends on his own now, I've had a pre-season safety talk with him and his hunting buddies explaining again that no game animal is worth someone getting hurt over. And yes, both kids have had an AD in the past but safe gun handling saved the day. I believe that's why in USPSA people say it's not IF but WHEN you will have a DQ. I can't emphasize enough how important safe gun handling is at all times and the best way I've seen is for the parent to control it by being at arm's length. You'll know when a pistol is appropriate for your child.

I totally Agree.

My take on kids and guns... When I was a kid and was starting to get interested in guns, I asked for a BB Gun, to which my father said, "no, they are treated like toys, you want a gun, save your money and buy a real gun, after you take a hunter safety coarse". In the meantime, I watched my dad shoot a few times, went to a range with an old guy who let my friend and i shoot a variety of guns from .22 rifles to .303 british and a .22 and .38 revolver, etc. My grandfather was an avid hunter and shooter and showed me respect for firearms and shared the same idea that my father did about BB guns and kids.

So...

By the time I was 14 I had saved about $100.00 and had taken my safety course and had my dad bring me to a gun shop (which I had visited about a dozen times) and bought a 10/22. I was only able to shoot it when he was with me until he felt I was safe enough.

My point is that if kids are given more hoops to jump through and pass each test along the way and have to put more effort into shooting and learning safety, the better off they will be and the more respect they will have for it.

My .02

I agree with the recommendation for a long gun instead of a hangun as a kid's First Gun. In that regard the Chipmunk single shot bolt action .22s, which are sized for a child - so much so that as an adult I literally can't get my head down far enough on the stock to acquire the sights - are kind of hard to beat. Obviously ammunition is very affordable, and the rifle itself isn't really that expensive, either. The little Chipmunks can provide a LOT of fun for kid, and once the child is too old to use it themselves, it can become a treasured token of their childhood that's socked away until it can become THEIR kid's First Gun. :)

I agree with the recommendation for a long gun instead of a hangun as a kid's First Gun. In that regard the Chipmunk single shot bolt action .22s, which are sized for a child - so much so that as an adult I literally can't get my head down far enough on the stock to acquire the sights - are kind of hard to beat. Obviously ammunition is very affordable, and the rifle itself isn't really that expensive, either. The little Chipmunks can provide a LOT of fun for kid, and once the child is too old to use it themselves, it can become a treasured token of their childhood that's socked away until it can become THEIR kid's First Gun. :)

Totally agree. This is how I started my older two kids out. I then mixed in a little pistol shooting at the end of shooting the chipmunk rifle once their size and strength would allow it. I started off with a P22 pistol, and last year introduced 9mm's to my oldest. My 5 year old son has shot rifle from dad's lap. No pistols yet, but it appears to be a foregone conclusion it will happen with him too.

When I went to buy the chipmunk, I was literally asking for it when I spotted something else which was a Henry single shot stainless with fiber optic siights. Still single shot but much better sights and with a synethic stock, it is going to have the new look for a long time. My memory is that the Henry was only $20 more than the chipmunk.

Since my kids have small hands, I also bought a Walter 22 pistol which I let them shoot from time to time. Since it is a pistol it requires closer supervision but I have a heck of a lot of fun with it as well. Ruger and Smith and Wesson and others make great pistols as well but if you can't get your hands around the Walther, you need to wait until you shed the diaper to start shooting.

My kids love to shoot and they will jump through a lot of hoops to get to do so. They also pay much closer attention when we are at the range than when we are at home. My daughter has been going since she was six and my son since he was 3 and I had to hold the gun for him. I would not have started him that young but when the girl came home and bragged about all she got to do shooting, it was not an option.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to go ahead and lock this one up...but first, a few thoughts:

Shooting sports have a tremendous opportunity to teach youth respect, safety, and responsibility...but it is up to respectful, safe, and responsible adults to show them how to achieve these traits. In some sports these traits can be taught through trial and error (football, swimming, horse riding) and when the student fails, there is little long-lasting consequence. With firearms, improper observation of the 4 laws of gun safety may result in catastrophic consequences.

People read these forums for many reasons, but one of the most important to keep in mind is that they (we) are looking for knowledge. It is utterly important that the advice that we give be safe and true...be it load development, proper stance and draw, or coaching children. Furthermore sharing anecdotes that may put shooting sports or firearms in general in a disreputable light are strongly discouraged. People have stupid reasons for fearing guns...let's not give them one more.

Finally, there is little room for name calling publicly on the forums. If you have a problem with what someone is saying, pm them. If reconciliation is not obtained, pm a moderator and let us work it out.