Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kustom Ballistics

CSEMARTIN

If your going to do a lot of checkering it's ideal. You can do a checkering job in a few hours. A couple weeks ago I did 5 frames faster than I did one Springfield wide body by hand. You still have to clean up the checkering with a hand file. The cutters aren't cheap either. If you don't mind spending the money go for it.

Rich

CSEMARTIN,

If you get it, do you want to do one of my HiPowers? The add says it'll do it. :D

Just had to ask, JZ

Well....I should probably screw up a few of my own guns before start working on other peoples guns.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is expensive though. It's just crazy what all this stuff costs.

Dan, I was thinking I would copy the design and sell the original later! We think alike man.

Details? Pictures?

I always wanted to see a setup for that.

I've not done it in years (out of the gunsmashing business now).

You need a rotary table that can be used horizontally and vertically. A plug that fits in the center hole and inside the mag well for locating the frame, and to keep it perpendicular to the table. Clamp the frame to the angle plate, clamp angle plate the rotary table. You just have to figure out the angular spacing for the radius, and lines per inch for the vertical serrations.

It's just fairly basic machine work. :D

If one get's ~$150/frame for a checkering job, you'd probably cover your expenses on 10-12th frame, right? If this fixture allows saves you 20% on your time and your costs are even, you're getting paid for a job every 5th or 6th frame that you don't even do.

If I did (and I don't) a modest amount of 1911 work, I'd buy it. Neil is a sharp, stand-up guy. Former Area 5 director and a shooter, too.

Using the fixture requires a pretty solid knowledge of machining!!

Each gun requires differant set ups I think they are about 250 a pop and you have to have the right cutters.

I had to make a mandrel for the Caspian hi-Cap.

Nothing easy or fast about checkering.

:surprise::surprise:

Jim/PA

Sailors

Checkering your own is for those that absolutely MUST try it for themselves or those that absolutely MUST have it perfect according to them. Everyone else is better off sending the frame to Rich or Jim or EGW or someone else that does good checkering. You get a damn nice product, no headache, no learning curve and no really expensive 'metal put back on it' procedures.

The guys that are really good at it have paid their dues in time, money, tears and probably blood.

Chris, if you want to learn how to do it. GO FOR IT, MAN!

Having said that......I totally agree with Howard.....I have all the files on my bench....and I have done several 1911s.....My last checkering job involved sending the frame to EGW to have them machine it........ :P

It was worth my time to have it done, if that makes any sense.....

DougC

Somebody asked me how much I'd charge to checker a frame. He coughed when I told him. Yep, it's expensive, because I don't 'really' want to do it but if you want it done that bad then I will. That's for a hand cut. If I can get a mandrel made it may change things.