Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Electronic ear muffs?

PistolPete

Well, it looks like I lost my ear muffs and need a new pair. I have a ton of them but only had one electronic pair. I'm currently using the custom molded plugs that are great because you can't hear anything but they suck because you can't hear anything. LOL Anyways, I'm looking for a new pari of electronic hearing protectors. I had the Peltor units that worked good but I'm sure I can find a pair that works better and allows for better hearing when not shooting. I'm open to suggestions and price isn't a deciding factor for the most part. However, I'm not going to spend $300 for a pair. :roflol:

A little thread drift: In y'all's opinion, do the electronic muffs make a significant difference or give an advantage during shooting? Do they take any adjustment phase or do you hear differently then with regular ear muffs? Just for mu info before I decide to buy some.

A little thread drift: In y'all's opinion, do the electronic muffs make a significant difference or give an advantage during shooting? Do they take any adjustment phase or do you hear differently then with regular ear muffs? Just for mu info before I decide to buy some.

With the Sordins, loud noises like gunshots are muffled while other noises come in real clear. Unlike some of the cheaper electronic muffs I've tried, these do not "cut off" all sounds when shots are fired. It simply reduces all noise to below 85 db. The Sordins are rated at 19 db noise reduction so when shooting indoors I double plug. Thanks to the Sordins sound amplication, by adjusting the volume, you can still hear other shooters talking clearly even with the plugs.

As for the sound amplification, it increases what you can hear but not to the point where it hurts.

The first time I stepped into the shooting box with the Sordins I had the volume way too high. Right after the RO said "shooter ready", someone drove up about 30 feet behind us. The sound of tires crunching over gravel kind of unnerved me.

Bill

Given your definition is basically best electronics from $100-$250 :P , I recommend the Peltor Sport-Tac ($116 at this link Sporttac)

Add the gel ear pads at $35 or so and Brownells muff covers ($5), and you have a great set of ears.

Or you could try here and save some money. :blush:

Tac Sports

My bad...should have linked to you....

I have a set of Sordin Supreme Pro's that are gathering dust while my Dillon muffs live in my range bag.

The plastic sliding pieces on the Sordin headband are just too fragile for daily use. I broke two of them before I gave up.

I’ve noticed that I don’t like listening to the peanut gallery while I’m shooting. Also my Peltors didn’t knock out enough decibels to RO open guns without still hurting my ears, and shooting through a barrel, forget about it. Also in the summer earmuff get awful sweaty. So mostly I shoot with my Wal-Mart $2 earplugs.

Sordin Supreme Pro

I have a pari of MSA Sordin Supreme Pros with the optional gel earseals and while I like the way the electronics work I don't find them to be terribly comfortable. I've worn them a handful of times and now I normally wear my Peltor Tactical Pros....very comfy even without gel earseals. I'm seriously considering selling the Sordin's just to get back some of the $ I sunk into them. R,

It really depends on where you are using them. In some situations, the electronic ones become annoying. One place is an indoor range. With the random timing of shots, your hearing will cut in and out. Which makes a con____sat__n s_un_ l__ thi_. Just my observation. I am deaf already and just stick with earplugs.

Michael

I use the peltors and they work ok.

I usually double up with a pair of foamies under them so I really need the electronic hearing booster to hear the range commands and the beep of the timer.

They're ok comfort wise and they've lasted for a couple years now.

Just change out the batteries every blue moon and I'm good to go.

DonT the hearing pro you're talking about in the pictures are probaly some of the high end custom ones that you get fitted for at an audiologists place.

One of the guys I work with was going to set us all up to get fitted for one type(bbrand escapes me) that had electronic hearing enhancement like the peltor/sordin muffs and also cut out the gunshot noises but the price tag was too steep so we never did it.

I'll stick with my cheap foamies and my peltors until they break.

JK

DonT the hearing pro you're talking about in the pictures are probaly some of the high end custom ones that you get fitted for at an audiologists place.

One of the guys I work with was going to set us all up to get fitted for one type(bbrand escapes me) that had electronic hearing enhancement like the peltor/sordin muffs and also cut out the gunshot noises but the price tag was too steep so we never did it.

JK

Thank you :)