Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Loading gate mods

TXMXRACER

I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of mods that you have done to the loading area of your FN. I want to open it up and smooth it up but some pictures of this modification would help me understand where to smooth it out.

Thanks,shane

I have done a load of work to mine that I ran for a few years uintil I switched gun types, Brian P also e mailed me about this and I have been a tadge tardy about responding due to broken PC issues - give me a day and I will post some pics

Edited by mike.45

• 2 weeks later...

My new 3gun blaster.

It's a 22" FN SLP Mk1. I use Briley chokes (Skeet, Improved Cylinder & Light Modified). I did a little WECSOG work to the loading port and shortened up the handguard so that I'm sure to get the shells all the way to the shell stop when reloading. It comes with 2 gas pistons a light and a heavy. Light is for 1.5oz or lighter and heavy is for 1.5oz or heavier. The light one works great with the cheap Wally World Federal bulk pack low brass 7-1/2s, I have about 400 rounds through it now with no malfunctions whatsoever. I'm using a 3gun gear side saddle and 2-shot form handguard saddle. This is probably the softest shooting 12gauge I've ever shot. With Federal Truball reduced recoil slugs it feels like you're shooting a 7.62x39mm AK if using the Light piston.

I've acquired a Browning Gold Sporting Clays piston which is made for 1-1/8oz or lighter I also got the Browning Gold 3.5" 12ga recoil spring. Supposedly these two work best together. I changed out the spring but it looked just like the one that I removed from my FN. I also now have a +1 mag extension from Nordic Components for those 'outlaw' 3gun matches I sometimes shoot where mag capacity isn't restricted. I hack-fu'd my loading gate/port.

FNshotgun.jpg

fnshotgun2.jpg

fnshotgunfrontsightchoke.jpg

fnshotgunloadingport.jpg

Don't let Mike B.S. you, He and I did all the mods on his SX while rather drunk. Also don't hold your breath waiting for pictures as the last time I talked to him his P.C. was T.U. ( something UP ). The common comment while working on the SX was, "let,s make it more like a Benelli in the loading area". Don't take that as a slam on the SX!, just look at a Benelli that has been hogged out ( there is another post with pictures here somewhere) and make your SX look like that. We also took the fore-end down to get it out of the way of the loading port. When Mike finally post pics be prepaired for "ugly but functional"; did I mention we were drunk?? KurtM

My new 3gun blaster.

I also now have a +1 mag extension from Nordic Components for those 'outlaw' 3gun matches I sometimes shoot where mag capacity isn't restricted. I hack-fu'd my loading gate/port.

If mag capacity isn't restricted in these events, then why go with a +1 and not an extension of more capacity? :huh:

Yeah thanks Kurt, my PC is FUBAR at the moment and I am guesting of another - pretty much as Kurt said re the mods very similar to a Benelli......sorry for the delay I will post the pics asap and include the details of how to fit a Rem PG stock to the FN/Gold frame.

Were we drunk ? I dont even remember doing it !

Hey GotM4, just a heads up, when you are in the heat of the match, and you stuff a round in the tube, and your thumb goes in too far, and you feel one of those forks on the carrier sink in to your thumb, take just one extra second to reach around with the other hand and release the carrier off your thumb. Some people are just full of piss and vinegar and think they can just snatch their thumb out and it will be ok. :wacko: As long as you are in the match and the adrenaline is flowing (along with the blood) it will be ok. It is on the ride home when your thumb feels like a truck ran over it that you will be thinking that maybe it wasn't such a good idea. Along with that, does anyone know how much you can round over those forks to make them "more user friendly", not that I would ever need that info or anything.... :roflol:

GOT4......trust me on this one. You only rounded corners on your loading area. There is a heck of a lot more that can be taken out of that.

BUT, its always best to sneek up on it. If you ever get the chance to see Carbon's you'll know what I mean, and like Mike's.....functional, but do you really want to take it home to momma?

Hey GotM4, just a heads up, when you are in the heat of the match, and you stuff a round in the tube, and your thumb goes in too far, and you feel one of those forks on the carrier sink in to your thumb, take just one extra second to reach around with the other hand and release the carrier off your thumb. Some people are just full of piss and vinegar and think they can just snatch their thumb out and it will be ok. :wacko: As long as you are in the match and the adrenaline is flowing (along with the blood) it will be ok. It is on the ride home when your thumb feels like a truck ran over it that you will be thinking that maybe it wasn't such a good idea. Along with that, does anyone know how much you can round over those forks to make them "more user friendly", not that I would ever need that info or anything.... :roflol:

shooter steve,

I guess I'm lucky, I haven't had that problem yet. :blush: Or I just have 'smoother' thumbs or something. My light mods made all the difference in the world for my reloading this gun. My first match I shot it in (Area 8 Multi-gun) two or three times I hadn't pushed the shells all the way to the shells stops and had to rack the bolt so that I could continue to reload. Since my mods this hasn't happened again. And just 1.5 weeks ago I won Tactical division at Blackwaters annual USPSA Multigun match. B)

TRUBL,

I know I can take more out, I was afraid of hitting the magazine tube (how to I remove it anyway is it loctited in like Benelli?) but since it's working for me very well right now I'm reluctant to do more. Right now I'm shooting and reloading shotgun faster and better than I ever have.

Hey congrats on your win. I know it always makes you feel good when things go good and your hard work and practice pay off. Does anyone know just how much you can round off the forks on the FN? I don't mind doing work on it if I have some guide lines. I know at a minimum I need to knock the sharp edges off as they come with small machining marks that are pretty sharp. I can round them down, but again, I would feel better if I had ideas before I get too happy with the dremel or sander. Thanks

That is an option. A shooter friend did that to his SX2 and it seems to work pretty good. I'm not sure who I would take it to around here. I used to do a ton of TIG work, but now I don't have access to a machine, and I know my skills are so out of whack that I'd probably blow big holes in it. Since I used to do so much welding, and know what it's supposed to look lilke, and I've seen so much bad work, I'm kind of afraid to take it somewhere. I just may give my friend a shout and see who did his.

• 2 months later...

I reloaded my FN SLP with the "bomb disarming" like intensity at my first ever 3 Gun Match this weekend. Without my thumb, I can't make a living. I would be more than happy to spend some money to have someone make some safety improvments to those forks.

Lance,

Sorry to hear about your injury and trip to the ER.

• 3 weeks later...