Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Finger Placement

I have always shot any kind of gun with the middle of the pad of my index finger pressing on the trigger. i have some instruction from some very good shooters and read a few books and shot matches and nobody has ever said any different.

I recently completed the NRA Instructor course for Personal Protection in the home. In the student handbook it states you should fire a semi-auto handgun while squeezing the trigger with the inside of the first joint of your finger.

I know the NRA is not the ultimate authority on shooting, but I was wondering if there were any comments on this subject since trigger control is one of the most important factors in good shooting.

The nerve endings on the PADS of the fingers are much more sensitive than the remainder of the finger.... and leverage-wise, too, pressing with the PAD of the finger allows for more precision control of your pressure. Seems like the PADS would, then, be more controlling. Or, at least, this works for ME.

IMHO, the NRA books are way behind the times. Check out the 'cup-and-saucer' two-handed holds they picture.

That said, using the finger-joint works reasonably well for mostly untrained people and the double-action triggers they're most likely to be using.

Yes...the NRA manual also had several photos of people in the high ready, low ready etc. with their fingers obviously on the trigger!!! This breaks their #2 safe gun handling rule: ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot!

Thanks to you all for your input.

I had never heard of this technique being used and wanted to see if anybody AT ALL thought this was a good idea. I couldn't figure out why they taught that.

Oh well...

:wacko:

I think it comes down to how long your fingers are and what works best for you. I use more of the tip of my finger, I can feel the trigger better that way, but I don't have long fingers either.

Yeah, I have long fingers and can not shoot a single-stack gun very well because my trigger finger touches the magazine release as the trigger breaks. I use the first joint...I can not use the pad with any form of consistency. I am not an expert though the joint just feels natural and the pad feels wrong. I am sure that I have to work on that.

I contact the trigger at the crease of the first joint, on any type of gun. I guess I got into the habit back when I shot many different types of guns. That's a universal technique that will give you enough leverage on the trigger for smooth, controlled trigger pulls no matter what type of gun you're firing. YMMV.

I find I get the most straight to the rear pull while using the tip of my finger, maybe a quarter of the way on to the pad. That's me and I have big hands (big guy 6'8"), and use a long flat STI gunsmith trigger on all my pistols (para and singlestack). L2S is right it's what works for you.

• 2 months later...

I use different placement for different guns.

In order to decide where to put my finger, I just have to watch the sights as I dry fire. If I'm not pulling straight back, I'll see the front site move to one side in the rear notch when the trigger breaks. I'll readjust my finger placement until the sights don't move when I dry fire. This is much more apparent on guns with a long and heavy trigger pull than with a 1911. With my Kahr P9, I have to put the crease of my first joint in the middle of the trigger. With my 1911, I put the joint about 3/4 of the way to the crease on the trigger.

You actually get more leverage the closer to the joint you touch the trigger (the joint is the fulcrum), so the trigger *theoretically* ought to feel lighter the farther you put your finger in (try pulling with just the very tip half way on the trigger, then with the first joint all the way on).

DogmaDog

I agree w/ Dogma Dog as to using different amounts of finger for different guns.

If I'm shooting a bench rest rifle or dedicated target pistol with a trigger pull breaking in ounces, I use the tip of my finger where I have the most sensitivity. If, one the other hand, I'm shooting just about anything else, I use the second pad of my finger where I can achieve as much control as possible and still pull the trigger straight to the rear.

In training my cops, I go with the theory that heart rate during shooting dictates that you should try and avoid using the tips of the digits to do anything while under stress. We train to fight, the heart rate will be elevated and fine motor skills start deteriorating when the heart rate elevates to levels as low as 115 beats per minute.

In force on force training with simunitions, cops heart rates commonly go well over 200 bpm within seconds of confrontation. At 175 bpm, gross motor skills start peaking for flight, fight, or freeze. Fine motor skills are nearly useless. (ain't adrenaline cool!) Example; have you ever had a verbal confrontation with someone and then walk to your car and tried to put the key into the lock or ignition?

Why would we teach trigger pull with a finger tip? You may not be training for combat, but do you feel the rush when the buzzer sounds in a match? Same thing.

If you are training for fast moving practical competitions where you will have an adrenal pump, try and simulate as close as you can what you will experience there.

The NRA is a bit outdated in a lot of their material.

Take your natural grip and then see where the trigger finger comfortably intersects the trigger. I have tried every method possible. I have found that it screws up the accuracy if you have to contort the trigger finger to force a specific part of the finger to engage the trigger. FWIW, most of th time the trigger for me is just outside the first joint. Shooting wheelguns DA, I sometimes rotate my hand slightly to get the joint centered on the trigger for better leverage which gives better trigger control on a heavy trigger.

FWIW: I never saw an improvement screwing around with trigger finger position. I saw a HUGE improvement when I stopped worrying about where that finger was and just focused 100% on a smooth pull.

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW: I never saw an improvement screwing around with trigger finger position. I saw a HUGE improvement when I stopped worrying about where that finger was and just focused 100% on a smooth pull.

That makes a lot of sense, especially if you get a gun/trigger combo that fits your hand properly.

It also take a lot of the worry out of shooting a crunch'n'ticker.

Todd S can I clarify? You said you use and teach the second pad. Past the first pad (tip), past the first joint, the second pad.

You use the second pad for pistol games as well?

Thanks, Tom Bergman