Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insurance - Home, Auto, etc...

I'm considering consolidating some of our insurance. We have our Homeowners through one carrier (along with a personal liability coverage)... I have my auto through another company... and she has hers through yet another. There must be some savings by consolidating some of this stuff, and while I am at it I probably need to add a couple of riders for stuff we have in the house. Of course one of them would be firearms, which led me to wondering... if I can get a good deal on all the coverage we need, I would hate to ask about 'firearms' and have that deal disappear before my eyes!

I did some searching and saw posts specific to firearms insurance, but does anyone know who of the big insurance guys I need to avoid because of their feelings about 'firearms'? Or should I just work out the best deal I can for everything else, and then go to someone specific like the NRA for firearms coverage? Also, I do not want to unknowingly give my business to a company that supports any anti-gun efforts, so where do I get that info?

As always, thanks in advance! ;)

Brian I'm sure it goes much further than this, but I think it depends on the individual agent. I'm with American Family, and my local agent is an avid shooter, hunter, fisherman and we get along GREAT! I spend more time talking about guns with him, than I do talking about ins. ;)

Carriers are really not concerned with your firearms. Just be sure to schedule them as there is normally a pretty nominal limit of coverage otherwise. As far as liability the company will be more concerned if you have a specific breed of dogs which could preclude you from coverage. There are far, far, far more liability claims from dog bites than use of a firearm. The answer to what type of dog you have by the way is.... he's a mutt.

Edited because, well..... I can't type and eat pistachios at the same time.

Edited by Neomet

If you are a vet or active duty...even if you are a dependent in some cases...

USAA insurance has really been great for me...in fact they got my car loan, home loan and various insurance...the people have ALWAYS been helpful too.

I'm not an insurance salesman nor a lawyer - ymmv

I have a special rider for all my "sporting equipment" that covers not only my guns but all the related gear...even my 550. And the cost per year is something like $300 because of the dollar value in replacing said "sporting equipment" which isn't bad considering....State Farm is my carrier btw.

I have home and car insurance through Safeco, and my insurance guy is a shooter. I used to have to have my stuff "scheduled" (make, model, serial number and value on a binder), and he always enjoyed it when I came in to update the list ("cool, whadjya get?"); although, I *really* didn't like having a "list of my stuff" out there on the record somewhere.

That changed about 8 years ago, when Safeco changed their home insurance policy structure so that firearms are "covered without limit" on the standard personal property rider. So now, as long as my personal property limit is high enough to cover the toys, I'm good to go. Although I still keep copies of "the inventory" on paper, on disk and offsite, along with a CD of photos, in case I ever need to prove value.

Bottom line is... a good insurance agent makes this all a non-issue.

B

As always, thanks for the input. What really surprises me are the amount of comments around 'it is really up to the agent'. :surprise: I really thought that most of the major insurance carriers had corporate positions on stuff like this. IOW, while they may insure 'sportling equipment' (Hi CB), but once you mentioned firearms or even worse GUNS... the liability flags went up to full staff. Maybe I'm mistaken. I guess we'll see.... ;)

your Homeowners policy will cover a certain amount of your firearms but not all..the best is to get a Personal Articles Floater and declare the value of your guns (appraisal or Receipt) i have all my guns insured for 100% loss w/o no ded and im only paying $86 a year..oh yeah im a State Farm Agent :ph34r:

Our agency is VERY Friendly to guns..all but 2 people in the office are either Shooter or Hunter...we can only write NY though

Edited by ogiebb

I have State Farm and had Farm Bureau both were very good to me on many things including guns. The most important thing is finding a agent that you can work with. The Ins companys have tried to sell direct but people like to have a agent to service the account when they have problems or whatever

Edited by TheBlackSheep