Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

L frame moonclips

Ted Murphy

Anyone moonclip a 586, 686?

You Like it?

Seems the clips are about 4 bucks each. Any good sources for them?

been thinking about clipping a L frame for USPSA when I go back to shooting revos this fall. Not the best for it I know, but with the cheaper bullets and since I'm likely shooting minor anyway, not sure if the .45 is really worth the extra expense. Also, since I crossover to IDPA , I figured I wouldn't have the differences in feel and recoil when I switched from my K frame IDPA gun to my N frame USPSA gun like I did last year.

I'd just use my IDPA gun and speedloaders but it's just so much easier to carry more ammo with the clips.

Thanks for any advice,

Ted

You Like it?

been thinking about clipping a L frame for USPSA when I go back to shooting revos this fall. Not the best for it I know, but with the cheaper bullets and since I'm likely shooting minor anyway, not sure if the .45 is really worth the extra expense. Also, since I crossover to IDPA , I figured I wouldn't have the differences in feel and recoil when I switched from my K frame IDPA gun to my N frame USPSA gun like I did last year.

I'd just use my IDPA gun and speedloaders but it's just so much easier to carry more ammo with the clips.

Thanks for any advice,

Ted

The 45 is worth the extra expense. :cheers:

The L frame is probably the most versatile revolver there is. I have a moonclip one and it works great. If the conversion is done

right you can still use speedloaders or loose rounds interchangeably. Ranch Products and T K Custom are 2 of the big moonclip

places. If you use Starline brass you will need clips sized just for those. Regular clips fit most other brass.

I would never moonclip any .38/.357 that I cared about. I once moonclipped a .45 Colt and I'll never do that again either.

Just stick with the 625. It's the greatest thing invented by man. If you want to shoot Minor, I have some stuff left over that's 163.2 PF and you can have it.

Dave Sinko

I shoot a 4-inch Performance Center 686 38-Super that I put .356 bullets loaded in 9x19 cases through. The moonclips work very well. Even though the moonclips for it cost more than similar moonclips for a .45, I just take care of them and after every stage, I make sure that I haven't lost one. What you spend on some moonclips, you make up for in much cheaper bullets than .45.

I tried a .45 in a 4-inch 625 at a major match last fall and the thing beat my hand up by the end of the match. Since I was accustomed to a 9mm open gun, over the winter we got the 686 ready and that's what I've been using this year. I was also fortunate to win a 6-inch 686 .357 that we are currently converting to 9x23 so I can shoot 9x19s in it for use in my USPSA matches. Using the 686 has piqued my interest in shooting revolver. If I was still having to resort to the 625, I would likely be shooting my open gun more.

I like the Hearthco moonclips, but they require Federal or Remington brass.

Sue

Just stick with the 625. It's the greatest thing invented by man. If you want to shoot Minor, I have some stuff left over that's 163.2 PF and you can have it.

Yours might be. However, my 625 is so uselessly bad it is begging to be made into a desk lamp.

The main reason I am considering an L frame is I really did not like the feel of the N frame when I was shooting so much IDPA with the K frames. I thought the L frame would be a decent compromise.

But I'm likely very biased against the 625, because of the bad experience with the one I own that the nice folks at the warranty dept can't seem to make run. They were so very good to me with other issues with other guns in the past, doing miracles with some busted guns on and off warranty- but they cannot seem to get this unhappy little .45acp smokewagon to perform.

Other bullet point for the 686 is I can get ones that aren't mim and with the firing pin in the frame. The 625's of that vintage are rarer and the dealers seem to know they are in demand. I saw a model of 89 625 selling more than a new on at a gun show last year.

Edited by Ted Murphy

I have a 686 that Clark cut the cylinder for moonclips and it works great. It was my first revolver that I started with in any local competitions. If you shoot all A's the minor PF does not matter. I myself have moved on to the 625 and never looked back, but it is what you are comfortable shooting. If you hate your 625, send it my way.

Edited by Greg Q

I have a 6 shot 686 that is and a 7 shot 686+ that I won with the 6 shot ,both moon clipped by BC Armory in MI. I have won limited class in the ICORE Wheelgunner's Revenge in MI. 3 years in a row with them. There are a lot 625's in that match. But you do have to shoot minor in USPSA ( just shoot A's ) . I think you could make major but it wouldn't be fun to shoot .

Edited by colt

You can shoot major with it if you like. It is really very easy to make major with 160gr bullets in 38 special cases. AND read the rules you can make major in revolver with a 38.

I have not moon clipped a 686 but I have a couple of 19's and love them.

They are not as fast reloading as a 625 I don't think anything is. However I have compared my reload time with my 625, 610 and moon clipped 19's and I am only a few tenths of a second slower with my 19's than I am with my 625. In a local match probably won't make that much difference.

You Like it?

Thanks for any advice,

Ted

Did this last year for the PSA, the 6 shot clips from Brownells (think they're TK's) that I got worked best with "Federal" stamped brass,

not as good as the "FC" stuff I used (since I got about 4k of it).

As other's have said, if you use Starline you'll need Heathco's.

If your thinking goes like this, shoot minor, have a gun for all occasions, save $$$ on a bulk buy of 38 cal. bullets, be able to shoot

100 pf steel loads or 210 pf bowling pin loads (not that I'd want to shoot a ton of those out of an L frame :surprise: )

All you'll need to do is change your powder setting and seating depth (okay, maybe the crimp too) once in awhile.

Hdgun shoots a 5 and a 6 inch 686 shooting major and it doesn't feel that bad, and his accuracy was amazing IIRC.

Basically all I'm saying is if you want to play all the games and stay with a light power factor then go for it,

you might be able to give credence to that quote "beware the man with one gun " B)

Ted,

I have a 686+ and 67 that I had cut for monclips a few years ago. I am getting a 586 and an 686SSR done as well.

I found that the recessing, and a little judicious chamfering, actually facilitated my SSR speedlaoder reloads with the 67 - the gun I used most of last season. I see no harm in it. The 686+ convesrion worked great too - and premium (Hearthco) moonclips are available for it. As others have mentioned, some moonclips are brand sensitive. You'll have to learn to live with that.

I still play around with the 586 & 686SSR in ESR every once in a while (hence the moon-clip conversion), but 38s at 165000 PF are not a year-round affair for me. To me, as you noted, L's are more like Ks, and Ns feel and handle very differently.

I say you have nothing to lose.

Good Luck,

Craig

Edited by Bones

I shoot a 4-inch Performance Center 686 38-Super that I put .356 bullets loaded in 9x19 cases through. The moonclips work very well. Even though the moonclips for it cost more than similar moonclips for a .45, I just take care of them and after every stage, I make sure that I haven't lost one. What you spend on some moonclips, you make up for in much cheaper bullets than .45.

I tried a .45 in a 4-inch 625 at a major match last fall and the thing beat my hand up by the end of the match. Since I was accustomed to a 9mm open gun, over the winter we got the 686 ready and that's what I've been using this year. I was also fortunate to win a 6-inch 686 .357 that we are currently converting to 9x23 so I can shoot 9x19s in it for use in my USPSA matches. Using the 686 has piqued my interest in shooting revolver. If I was still having to resort to the 625, I would likely be shooting my open gun more.

I like the Hearthco moonclips, but they require Federal or Remington brass.

Sue

Hi Sue, I have one of those 4" Supers also. Curious as to what your load is. For minor I use a Ranier RN 151 gr behind 3.4 gr TG and for major I go to 5.8 gr. 3N37. Building up my supply of moon clips was painful. By the time I got it the only source for "competition" grade clips was S&W at $7 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchase the moonclips from Ranch Products. The last time I ordered some they were $75 per 100. Go to their website and then call them to order the moonclips. They have 6 & 7 shot Lframe 38 /357, 6 shot L frame 38 Super and 40 S&W, 8 shot N frame 38/357 and 38 Super, 6 shot N frame 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

You Like it?

Thanks for any advice,

Ted

Purchase the moonclips from Ranch Products. The last time I ordered some they were $75 per 100. Go to their website and then call them to order the moonclips. They have 6 & 7 shot Lframe 38 /357, 6 shot L frame 38 Super and 40 S&W, 8 shot N frame 38/357 and 38 Super, 6 shot N frame 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

TonyT, what brass are you using in the Ranch clips ??

75 cents a piece sounds great for L frame clips.

I have been using Remington and Winchester brass with the Ranch products moonclips. The Starline brass has too wide a groove and is very loose. I also use the Ranch Products 8 shot 38/357 moonclips with the same brass.

I also use their 6 shot 38 Super and 40 S&W moonclips in my S&W 686 and 646, the 6 shot 40 S&W in my S&W 610 and their 45 ACP moonclips in my S&W 625. The 45 ACP moonclips are ca $30 per 100 in blues steel and $80 in stainless.

Ranch Products is an excellent supplier - a real pleasure to do business with them.

TonyT, what brass are you using in the Ranch clips ??

75 cents a piece sounds great for L frame clips.

Edited by TonyT

But I'm likely very biased against the 625, because of the bad experience with the one I own that the nice folks at the warranty dept can't seem to make run. They were so very good to me with other issues with other guns in the past, doing miracles with some busted guns on and off warranty- but they cannot seem to get this unhappy little .45acp smokewagon to perform.

Ted, what's your 625 doing? Maybe we can help.

You Like it?

Thanks for any advice,

Ted

Mark at Pinnacle-Guns did my 686 moon clip job... a great job and works great...no complaints.