Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo prices

I just ordered another 3000 rounds of plated range ammo for my shooting partner and I, from The Hunting Shack. The price went from $178/1000 to 195/1000, plus it is about $22/1000 for shipping. Total cost is around 21 cents a round for factory reloads. It is expensive, but still about 30% cheaper than I can buy it locally.

Can someone tell me the CURRENT approximate cost for loading 40S&W with plated bullets? Assuming you already have the brass.

We are thinking about going in on a reloader and I'm just trying to get my mind around the actuall savings, if any.

Edited by rangertrace

Lets see.

1000 pieces of 180gr round nose flat point double struck is $111.39. lets call it 112.

Primers are about $25 a thousand locally.

A pound of titegroup is about $15 locally (actually a little less. )

So, $152 a thousand. About $0.15 a round.

Precision delta FMJ is a shaves a few bucks off.

Precision moly coated lead costs even less.

Wolf SPP are a bit cheaper as well.

Precision Moly's $215.00 for 2500 180's or 3000 155's

Hardcast is even better at around $60/1000 from various sources...

I gave up on plated when Berry's decided that they were going to charge more then

some FMJ's, never looked back...

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Precision Moly's $215.00 for 2500 180's or 3000 155's

Hardcast is even better at around $60/1000 from various sources...

I gave up on plated when Berry's decided that they were going to charge more then

some FMJ's, never looked back...

Agree, unless you have to have Jacketed hardcast works great and you get to shoot more for $!

mastercast.net $63\1000 precisionbullets.com $87\1000 depends on bb's I use mastercast bb's, excellent customer service and they have bb's to your door in 2-3 days! Precisionbullets gave me 10 week delay... Use a bit slower powder to negate smoke, works great and plenty of accuracy\consistency. IMHO :cheers:

Get a Dillon 550\650 and all accessories will cost $ initially but pays for itself in this game.

OK, I think I have enough room in the corner of my garage for a work bench and reloader. So here is the question,

Do I go with a 550 with a case feeder or a 650? A friend of mine (who has 4 1050s) says the 650 is too techical and has a problem with the primer system. However, I like the idea of a powder check station.

The same friend says to go with a 550 and add a case feeder.

What do ya'll think. By the way, I will probably have to sell a Colt 70 Series to finance this purchase. Would it be worth it?

650 all the way!

The primer system on the 550 has more issues than on the 650. And while the 1050 may be nicer (at first) there is no Lifetime warranty like there is on the 650.

And you may like a powder check at first, but I think the availability of adding a bullet feeder is a nicer option in the long run.

Sell whatever you need to to buy a reloader. It's like keeping all your money in a savings acct. that earns 3% interest when you have credit card debt that charges 19% interest. Bullets will only continue to get more expensive.

OK, I think I have enough room in the corner of my garage for a work bench and reloader. So here is the question,

Do I go with a 550 with a case feeder or a 650? A friend of mine (who has 4 1050s) says the 650 is too techical and has a problem with the primer system. However, I like the idea of a powder check station.

The same friend says to go with a 550 and add a case feeder.

What do ya'll think. By the way, I will probably have to sell a Colt 70 Series to finance this purchase. Would it be worth it?

A couple of ideas. Atlanta Arms and Ammo makes extremely high quality ammo and it should be cheaper than what you're paying now. Last I knew they had a 180gr TMJ load that was $188 per K and they ship for free to law enforcement. That price may have gone up a touch, but it still should be less than what you're paying now, and is probably much higher quality.

I wouldn't sell that Colt to finance a reloader. Unless you're planning on reloading rifle ammo with it, get a Square Deal B and laugh all the way to the bank. No, it's not going to be as durable or versatile as a 550 or 650, but I've had one that my father bought me in 1991 and it's put out so much ammo I've long since lost track...probably a couple hundred thousand rounds. It's faster than a 550 and with auto-indexing you don't really need a powder check....make it a habit of looking in each case when you put the bullet on it and you're double safe. Open up the box, put it together and mount it on the bench and in no time you'll be cranking out ammo.

Edit to change the AAA info from 9mm to .40...not sure what I was thinking :blink:

Edited by G-ManBart

I have a 550 and a 650 and there is no comparison. The 650 is a much better machine, to me, and I have had less trouble with it than the 550.

Buy some lead bullets and shoot em up!

Buddy

A 650 with the normal options winds up being $1000 (casefeed, strong mount, roller handle, powder check, dies and bullet tray etc).

A 550 with the same basic options winds up more like $750.

For 33% more, the 650 should be a better machine ;)

I think everyone is missing the really important point that he's working on a tight budget. Sure those are great machines, but he can spend half that ($340 for an SDB) and crank out ammo that will work just as well. It'll be a little slower than the 650 and probably even or slightly ahead of the 550.

I reload .40 and I use a Dillon Square Deal. It's alot slower than the 550 and 650 But it is cheaper if the cost is a factor

How are you a lot slower with an SDB than a 550? I've used both and having to index by hand, place a case and bullet takes me longer than just placing a case and bullet. I can easily do 500 rounds an hour on an SDB. Dillon says the 550 is between 400 and 600 per hour, which doesn't make sense to me when you add in the extra step and the inability to have multiple bullets in your hand, but at least they're in the same ballpark. The cool thing is there isn't a bad Dillon press whichever he goes with :cheers:

I agree that you don't need the powder check. I have a small light that shines on the cases as they come around and just look at each one as it comes to the seating die. Buy the 650 with the case feeder.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Thanks guys....for the responses.

Good advise Bart, I'll hold on to the Colt...and I'll check with AA next week and see what their LE prices are. You're right about the budget, I've bought a Wilson CQB, a STI Eagle and a Tripp limited gun since November. No wonder my wife wants to kick my A**. :surprise: I assured her I wouldn't buy any more guns for now, buy I need to feed the ones I have. I feel its my DUTY to do that as cheaply as I can!!

AS far as reloaders go, I think ya'll sold me on the 650. My shooting partner and I have talked about going in 1/2s on a reloader. I thinks its time. I only wish Brian had a package deal for the 650 like he does for the 550. If anyone has the time to scratch down all the items needed (for a 650) for reloading 40 cal, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Trace

Edited by rangertrace

I guess I missed the part where he asked about a SDB. I thought he asked about a 550 or a 650 and that is what I based my advice on. Heck, a single stage "C" press would really be cheap.

With the amount saved by reloading rather than buying loaded ammo.....he will be off that tight budget and can afford to shoot more.

Buddy

Last time I bought Atl Arms it was a over $200 a 1000 and I was buying direct. I just got a 1050 from Zhunter here on the board and am planning to go pick it up next weekend. I'm looking fwd to turning out my own ammo.

I guess I missed the part where he asked about a SDB. I thought he asked about a 550 or a 650 and that is what I based my advice on. Heck, a single stage "C" press would really be cheap.

With the amount saved by reloading rather than buying loaded ammo.....he will be off that tight budget and can afford to shoot more.

Buddy

He said one friend mentioned the 550 and another mentioned the 650. He then asked what everyone thought, which is why I mentioned the SDB.

Single stage? :blink: I get your point and there is some breakpoint between speed and value, I'm not sure it's quite at that level. He's looking for advice from people who have experience reloading and suggesting reasonable alternatives sorta seemed like a decent thing to do. Not everybody needs a 1050, even though it's better than what his friends suggested. The simple fact is that an SDB is probably the best value in a progressive press anywhere. It'll crank out ammo about as fast as a 550, costs half as much, is easier to use and is safer since there's no easy way to get a double charge. For someone on a tight budget who's looking to load only pistol ammo, it's a viable alternative that often gets overlooked by folks who are experienced, high-volume reloaders/shooters.

I think many of us (including me) forget that we're in a pretty small percentage of shooters/reloaders (for the most part). We need stuff that's going to turn out huge volumes of ammo reliably and not break two days before you leave for a big match. Most folks don't have those concerns. Someone like Trace could crank out a ton of great ammo with a less expensive, but still fast, press and if he ever gets heavily into competitive shooting and needs something better, and can afford it, step up to something like a 650 and not be out anything in the long run.

If there wasn't a budget issue mentioned it would be a totally different story....sure, spend the extra $ and buy a Lexus the first time out if you can afford it!

Nobody saves anything by reloading, they just shoot more, so an initial investment that's $340 versus $750 or $1000 would add up to a whole lot more shooting for the same money :cheers:

Edit: To sound a little less like an @ss :P

Edited by G-ManBart

G-manbart, I started loading in the 60's and have loaded on many different machines. You are 100% right, the SDB is a good buy (I use to have one), but I think that the 550 and 650 are much better machines for volume loading.

Buddy

Well, the same fellow that has all the 1050s, has a SDB for 40S&W that he offered to loan me. All I would have to do is buy all the related items. Manual, scales etc.

Sounds like that might be a better option that I originally thought.

Well, the same fellow that has all the 1050s, has a SDB for 40S&W that he offered to loan me. All I would have to do is buy all the related items. Manual, scales etc.

You'd have to buy that stuff anyway. Borrow the SDB and save for whatever you might want later. :)

:cheers: That's awesome....great way to get started and the price is right!

Sounds like your friend set you up with a great deal!

One thing I'd mention to anyone on a budget, myself included. You need money for primers, powder, and bullets. And to really get the cost down, you need to buy in bulk. I spent ~$600 on my 550B, then another $300 easy on primers, brass, powder, and bullets. But yes, I am set for a good bit, which is nice.

A higher volume press only makes sense, for me, if the budget can support that volume of shooting. I'm happy if I get time to shoot 300 rounds in a week, which is about 2hrs (including setup, checks, and cleanup) on my 550B. I enjoy the time spent, and for me don't see the need for a faster machine.