Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slightly premature dishcharge on first shot.

fenwick

I have been shooting c class for 5 years now.

I am conciously making my best effort to move

to B class. twice this year I have let loose my

first shot just below the first target. definitely

not a planned discharge. bullets both went in

the dirt just behind the target. both time the ro

commented that i let that first round get away

from me a little bit but that all. at what point

is this situation considered a dq and what is

the best practice method for getting off that

first shot.

...at what point is this situation considered a dq and what is the best practice method for getting off that first shot.

See rule 10.4.1 and 10.4.2.

The best practice is...well...practice. Do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire the shot (#2 rule of firearm safety). Seems like you are a C/B shooter trying to shoot that first shot at a GM level. What's a half a second faster first shot going to give you in the long run? Is the risk/benefit factor worth .5 seconds?

Premature discharge...mmm...isn't there a cream for that??? Seriously, be very aware of finger position when dryfiring, this will tranfer itself to live fire.

I have trouble finding a a place for my weak hand finger to rest especially after a mag and hand change. My dryfire practice includes weak hand trigger finger awareness....

Premature discharge...mmm...isn't there a cream for that??? Seriously, be very aware of finger position when dryfiring, this will tranfer itself to live fire.

I have trouble finding a a place for my weak hand finger to rest especially after a mag and hand change. My dryfire practice includes weak hand trigger finger awareness....

I rest mine on the protruding end of the slide stop. Seems to give me just enough feedback so that I know it is not in the trigger guard when it shouldn't be.

I have been shooting c class for 5 years now.

I am conciously making my best effort to move

to B class. twice this year I have let loose my

first shot just below the first target. definitely

not a planned discharge. bullets both went in

the dirt just behind the target. both time the ro

commented that i let that first round get away

from me a little bit but that all. at what point

is this situation considered a dq and what is

the best practice method for getting off that

first shot.

I did one of these at the Indiana State. Mine hit at the feet of the target. Coming around the corner and prepping for the first shot. AS long as you are engaging a target and its further than 3 meters from your feet and not over the berm then you are good unless its during a reload, transfer , clearing a jam, Making ready or unloading & showing clear. Did i miss any?

I did one of these at the Indiana State. Mine hit at the feet of the target. Coming around the corner and prepping for the first shot. AS long as you are engaging a target and its further than 3 meters from your feet and not over the berm then you are good unless its during a reload, transfer , clearing a jam, Making ready or unloading & showing clear. Did i miss any?

Yeah, Chuck --- you did. The RO could call it unsafe gunhandling, depending on what he sees.....

I'll guess a little here.

Sounds like you are taking the safety off early, and arcing the gun from the holster to the target. Perhaps not, but that is what your description brings to mind.

Seems to work better to draw the gun straight up, then rotate, join hands and disengage the safety as you are thrusting the gun at the target (punching the gun at the target). Again, perhaps this is your procedure, but, if so, it seems you would not be as likely to be shooting beneath the target.

More dry fire practice might help.

Guy

My understanding, and I could be wrong, was that as long is it was more than 10 feet away and contained within the berms it wasn't a DQ. I've seen it once or twice where the RO actually had to measure from the shooter to the bullet impact to see if they were still legal. Sounds like in your case your trying to gain too much speed on the draw and tripping the trigger early. For USPSA draw speed really is not that much of an issue. You'll see more of an improvement if you work on movement and target transitions.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, was that as long is it was more than 10 feet away and contained within the berms it wasn't a DQ.

As long as you are engaging a target, it's usually OK. But if it goes off and you are not engaging a target, it's a DQ - no matter where the round landed.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, was that as long is it was more than 10 feet away and contained within the berms it wasn't a DQ.

As long as you are engaging a target, it's usually OK. But if it goes off and you are not engaging a target, it's a DQ - no matter where the round landed.

hmmm define "engaging a target" How close does it have to be or how far away does it have to be to be considered a miss or not engaging a target? If on a standards you draw and your round hits the target stand most would consider it a AD but your ingaging a target. What if somebody is running down to engage a group of low targets behind a barrel and starts to prep coming up on them and sends a round into the berm over top of the target before they can see them?

Usually on a AD your going to get a shooter thats going to have a shot, then a pause like WTF, then they keep on shooting. That is a pretty good sign of a AD. Then again, if they aren't doing the things Chuck listed and it isn't with in the 9 feet is it a DQ? Now if they are running around with their finger in the trigger, then yeah.

hmmm define "engaging a target"

There is a target visible to the shooter and shooter is pointing the gun at said target (or in the direction of said target). It should be noted that this is not an official difinition, just mine. I've said it before, there is a slight difference between an Accidental Discharge and an Early Discharge (or 'slightly premature discharge'). I believe most people will agree they can tell the difference between the two.

Edited by racerba

Yeah, Chuck --- you did. The RO could call it unsafe gunhandling, depending on what he sees.....

Oh yes the all encompassing DQ offense. DO i need to tell you how I feel about that rule. I would if it was allowed here.

He could call that anytime for anything, in this case I was engaging a target, the gun was pointing in that direction and the round impacted within the guidelines. But if the Unsafe Gun Handling was called then there wouldnt be any question or arbitration. Just one persons opinion and use of a wild card rule and I/you go home. To use that rule in this case would be an abuse of that rule. I dont think it should be used just because the other rules cant be found to apply.

Had another instance at a Nationals where the target was right inside a door you opened. it was a really quick stage. I drew, pushed towards the target and the gun went off, startling me obviously and the RO I think. We talked about it afterwards. The round was center a zone. Same thing, premature discharge while prepping trigger.

This happens in the sport and why the AD rule was put into effect and the guidelines includes where a round can impact. If we want to DQ people for it then the AD rule needs to be changed to" if you miss the target then the round didnt go where you intended and thats a DQ" .

Oh yes the all encompassing DQ offense. DO i need to tell you how I feel about that rule. I would if it was allowed here.

He could call that anytime for anything, in this case I was engaging a target, the gun was pointing in that direction and the round impacted within the guidelines. But if the Unsafe Gun Handling was called then there wouldnt be any question or arbitration. Just one persons opinion and use of a wild card rule and I/you go home. To use that rule in this case would be an abuse of that rule. I dont think it should be used just because the other rules cant be found to apply.

It is the Range Master's job to deal with such a situation and "fix" illegitimate calls. :cheers:

I like the description in the topic title.

"Slightly Premature Discharge"

Isn't that also known as an accidental discharge?

IMHO

If you trigger your firearm to fire before you intended to fire it then its an A.D./N.D.

M.A.T.T.

Muzzle- Pointed at nothing you are not willing to destroy

Action- Action open until making ready to shoot

Trigger-On Target On Trigger Off Target Off Trigger

Target- Be aware of your target, whats between you and your target, and whats beyond your target. You are responsible for the final resting place of every round you fire.

Fire them as if your name is inscribed on each one.

JK