Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use the EarPro plugs from Surefire ?

warpspeed

I saw these on Surfire's website looking for something else:

152000048.jpg

Info here:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_dis...rssupandreg-sup

has anyone tried them?

I use them under other headphone style hearing protection.

Their NRR is 16-19db, so they dont offer much protection alone, for use on the firing line.

They are comfy.

+1 for using them under muffs. I have been wearing them the whole match they seem to help with noise from other bays but not enough when RO'ing or shooting -- use more hearing protection

I confirm.

They are really usable on open range with moderate noise. If shooting noisy calibers, indoor, or under some structures you better add some earmuffs.

I heard lots of our soldiers deployed in A-Stan uses them on the field. It's not as good as an electronic earmuff, but not all of them can afford (financialy or by order).

I'm curious about the electronic EP-450A. The other digital units I've seen are rumored to cost $1500+. I've got a pair of the custom-molded foam plugs from a guy that frequents the Area 2 and SMM3G Vendor Tents. They fit ok and work well. But I'd sure like to be able to hear folks without having to take them out.

Edited by Blockhead

I use the surefires. I picked a set up at the PSA because I had forgot plugs and when shooting open I always double up. Now I have found that when on the range they are quite nice. Not as hot as having muffs on. They do allow you to hear others converse around you.

On the firing line shooting open you are going to want to still throw on muffs. when shooting limited I find these to be just fine.

I have tried them at the last few matches I have been to. They seem to block the noise quite a bit for me and still allow hearing a

normal conversation. But I have been shooting 9mm and not Open.

They are not as comfortable to me as I would like but do OK for a 3-4 hour stint at the range.

I normally wear Tac6 but they are too hot in the summer.

A friend of mine (who also happens to be a surefire rep) turned me on to these. If I put the plastic stoppers in and put them in correctly. They are more than adequate for my hybrid 9mm major open gun.

Most of the ranges I shoot at have large bays though so not having to deal with the sound bounced back from the berm walls may be a factor.

Peter Adams

FY-39604