Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Holster

Chuck Anderson

I got tired of waiting for my CR Speed revolver holster to come in from Brownells so I bought a Limcat Holster from Johnny when he was up for the Area 1 match. Now the CR Speed showed up and I have two Revolver race holsters. Which is a better bet for USPSA and ICORE? I'll be using them with the same lenght bbl, 5" 627 or 625. Has anyone had any problems with either?

Two weekends ago at a local match, on a stage with a goofy start where you had to jump up from a kneeling position and throw a fake grenade, my 625 fell out of my CR Speed onto the ground. It was my first-ever DQ. The very next day I ordered a Blade-Tech kydex rig. I will probably continue using the CR Speed for steel shooting, but I believe I'm done with speed holsters for USPSA.

I left the speed holster world last year. I tired of constantly checking to make sure the revolver was secure.

I use a DOH for my 6 1/2" 25-2 and it works just fine.

My "speed holsters" are somewhere at the bottom of the holster box.

Dave

Bummer Mike.

If I was going to change my Revo Hoster I think I'd try something like Cliff has. Kydex with a rotating adjustment for angle.

Hey Bob, how about a special Kydex fully adjustable North Mountain Holster???? I'd use one, just to match the Carrier.

For a Semi-Auto I really like the old Safariland 007-008's. They were a lot more secure, just as fast but didn't have as much adjustment.

I recently caught my hand on the butt of my Limited gun and caught it falling out of the holster by the mainspring housing with my finger tips. Paused for a split second waiting for that dreaded hand, just cause I KNEW I'd screwed up. But it ended up just looking ugly, not being unsafe....whew!!!

Edited by pskys2

I would not want to try a Limcat or SpeedSec for USPSA.

Like Mikes problem too many crazy starting positions and to much movement.

For Steel Challenge I have thought about trying something like a Limcat or Speed Sec.

Draw speed means more in steel most of the time anyway.

Two weekends ago at a local match, on a stage with a goofy start where you had to jump up from a kneeling position and throw a fake grenade, my 625 fell out of my CR Speed onto the ground. It was my first-ever DQ. The very next day I ordered a Blade-Tech kydex rig. I will probably continue using the CR Speed for steel shooting, but I believe I'm done with speed holsters for USPSA.

Sorry to hear that Mike.

It sounds like the start was a trap.

I, too, ordered a Blade Tech SRB for IDPA.

do you have a picture of the llimcat holster.how does it

compare to the cr speed.I use the ghost for my 2011

and cr speed for my 1911.does your cr speed holster

for your revolver have the nose cap.

My CR revolver holster has the Arrendondo CRS platform.

Here's my 686 plus with the Limcat. Before I got my own, I borrowed a friends, that holster had problems with the tab that holds the revolver in place while holstered, the spring for it would come offset causing the secure tab to be loose and my revolver would not stay in place. I had to keep repositioning the spring to make it work. I ended up getting my own anyways and have not had any problems yet, but how the revolver is secured at the front of the trigger guard seems kind of a tight fit.

IMG_1092.jpg

Sorry about your bad luck Mike. That's what I did when I started out with the Speedsec holster.

I now use the CR. What I do on violent starts is to leave the holster locked a little bit, you can still draw the gun just fine with just a little extra force. (with out unlocking)

41mag

I've tried to recreate the incident, and the CR Speed holster always keeps the gun in place when I jump up from kneeling. I must have bumped it with my arm when throwing the grenade. Anyway, I'll keep shooting the CR Speed for steel, but it will be Blade-Tech from here on for USPSA since there is always a possibility of a funky start situation, chair start, etc. If you stop and think about it, lightning draw speed is not really all that big a deal for USPSA. You're only going to draw once per stage, and with most major matches having several starts where the gun is already out (in a briefcase, car trunk, on a shelf, etc.) you just don't do that many draws.