Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

video recording yourself

i went from borrowing my brothers camera, to buying my own handheld, to getting a hat cam. And I can definitely say, it's a big part of my learning and development as a shooter. post mortem, what worked, what didn't. What felt good, versus what looked good are two different things.

It started out so innocent. Recording my matches so i can share with my family, and friends. Now it's like I can't shoot without having a camera. it's actually developed into quite a side hobby of my hobby, which I'm known to do with all my hobbies.

I did the same thing with Fishing, except with a photo camera. What turned into me holding a fish, turned into a weekly "kill report" with extensive pictures of my trip, and story board outlining the events that had quite a few followers, to the point that I actually influenced a lot of hot spots in my area. Which was good and bad.

Anyhow, rambling. Yes, videoing your matches is an excellent training aid. It's not always feasible to take notes on the range, and the video camera doesn't lie. I literally watch most of my videos 20-50 times sometimes really breaking down what I do, versus other better shooters on that stage and I've learned and picked up a ton. Best bet is a buddy system. Take turns with someone willing to record your match. what I've found is a lot of people like getting recorded, and are more than willing to help if you run the camera for them.

It started out so innocent. Recording my matches so i can share with my family, and friends. Now it's like I can't shoot without having a camera.

Yes, videoing your matches is an excellent training aid. It's not always feasible to take notes on the range, and the video camera doesn't lie. I literally watch most of my videos 20-50 times sometimes really breaking down what I do, versus other better shooters on that stage and I've learned and picked up a ton.

Yes, I think video is helping to be a better shooter! I like to film shooters from my country also, they can watch video of themselves and analyze mistakes they do and fix them. This way they are stronger and it is more chalenge to beat them. I like it!

The first time I shot IDPA at an indoor match, my father-in-law got me on tape with a camcorder. I posted the videos on google video (before youtube was really popular) and asked for some feedback here. I got some great tips and they definitely helped my game.

Just the other day I searched again for those videos as I hadn't seen them in a long time.. it's nice to see yourself progress.

I have been filming myself since 2005 and have been posting them since 2006. I have a few on Google, but much more on YouTube. I think it is a very viable tool in learning where one can improve as well as what skills are your strengths. Which can be almost as important as know what you need to work on. And it is cool to see your improvements along the way.... :cheers:

I did a long video yesterday of me dry firing. Have a classifier tonight and I wanted to check myself on my reloads and switching to weak hand. I saw little things and worked on them. A good hour of draws, mag changes and finding the dot strong hand and weak hand. Hopefully it will show tonight.

Joe W.

I just started taping myself on a more regular basis as well. After reading so much about the hat cams and watching the videos I finally placed an order for an Archos. Looking forward to seeing what little things I can improve. My most recent video is of the classifier last weekend with a half broken camera here. Appreciate any feedback.

Kevin S.

Recorded myself today for the first time, wish I would have done it a LONG time ago. Even though it felt like I was having some good times, when I broke it down frame by frame it is easy to where I need to improve at. One suggestion though, when reviewing, look for a certain thing, (draw, gun recoil, entries, exits, footwork etc.,) then rewind and look for something else. It's hard to see 3 different things at the same time. Good tool, it sure is an eye opener.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't (live fire) practice these days - that's what club level matches are for right? - but I try to video every stage I shoot.

It seems that half the people that I hand the camera to (who say "yeah, I'll video you, I can work that camera"), video their feet while their tapping targets after my run. Or they turn to me after my run and say "oh, did you just shoot? I didn't realize - I was talking to... ". Or the video only shows my back.

Some help.

One regular does a great job and those videos help.

Some help.

This is what I ended up doing after losing too many good runs. This has taken my video analysis to a whole new level.

http://www.vio-pov.com/products/pov_1.php

Video quality on it is excellent.

Your video/editing looks great. Cool product, thanks for the info. Unfortunately it's not within my budget - I'll have to stick with my cheapo digital camera movies.