Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Waffling on my decision for Remington 1100 Tac 4

BayouSlide

I picked up a FN SLP Mk1 from Cdnn about three weeks ago. I paid my FFL guy $30 and my total out the door cost was $860. It also came with a OKO red dot sight for that price. I tried to get them to keep the sight and knock off the price, but they wouldn't do it. That was ok as the gun sells for almost $1200 at the local retailer/rip off artist. If you like a side saddle it will cost you a couple extra bucks for one, but if you reload weak handed off of your belt you are good to go. Am very impressed with how solid it is. Haven't had a chance to shoot it in a match yet. CTI will be the proving ground in about three weeks.

Lets see....got my benelli M1 for 850$ used with some upgrades and added a progressive tube clamp and I'm done at what 875$? I don't buy to many guns new as you can usually find like new used ones or used ones just broken in.

Oh I saw Horner with his FN at Ky state 3 gun, didn't get to shoot it but Burkett seemed to like it.

Edited by steel1212

I've read on the forum here at least one person with a new 1100 Tac 4 saying it had fiber optics, as well as elsewhere IIRC. Anyone want to chime in or am I just deluded in extremis.

Bayou,

The 1100 Tac 4 I just bought has a fiber optic front sight. In fact I just replaced the factory green light pipe with an orange one. They are HiViz sights. I'll put it up against any of the Benelli shooter's I shoot 3 gun with, anyday. I've had no problems with it. I paid $770 for it out the door from a local dealer.

Green furniture/black receiver or the current black furniture/black receiver....still trying to convince myself re: deluded in extremis :wacko:

Bayou,

Black/Black.

So I guess Belgian food is better than pizza?? :unsure: Cause Winchester ain't made here!

Yes Kelly I did add a tube, just like an 1100/1187 user has to, just like a Browning Gold shooter has to, just like any fill-in-the-blank made shotgun does, or accept the mag tube it comes with. KurtM

You wrote bone stock! Now it's "I did add a tube." Next it will be be "oh yeah, I had some 10/22 sights on there" and "maybe I cleaned up the loading gate" etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

My point being that you don't have to add a tube to the FN SLP.

I've read on the forum here at least one person with a new 1100 Tac 4 saying it had fiber optics, as well as elsewhere IIRC. Anyone want to chime in or am I just deluded in extremis.

Bayou,

The 1100 Tac 4 I just bought has a fiber optic front sight. In fact I just replaced the factory green light pipe with an orange one. They are HiViz sights. I'll put it up against any of the Benelli shooter's I shoot 3 gun with, anyday. I've had no problems with it. I paid $770 for it out the door from a local dealer.

Green furniture/black receiver or the current black furniture/black receiver....still trying to convince myself re: deluded in extremis :wacko:

Bayou,

Black/Black.

Thanks, buddy. That's the current model. Got a possible chance on a used Benelli M1. If that falls through and Hank Ellis's FN doesn't end up winning me over, then I will probably reorder an 1100 but specify that it HAS to have the fiber optic front...just annoys me that their specs seem inconsistent and I'd end up having to throw in another $30 (inc. shipping) for something that should be...and is...on at least some of the guns Remington has shipped.

Got a chance to handle a few M2s at a local shop, and they seemed pretty sweet. The shop had a new M2 Tactical (18.5 inch barrel, non-pistol grip stock, and ghost ring sites marked down to $889. Pretty fast handling and tacticool, but I'd prefer at least a 21 inch barrel and the ghost ring sights are not much of an advantage because our infrequent 3-gun matches are almost always birdshot only. Maybe an extended tube full of shells would put the balance a little further out towards the muzzle. Tempting price, though.

My 1100 Tac 4 is black/black runs like a top on bulk birdshot, Fiochi buckshot and everything in between for my uses it is set up pretty well right out of the box. Has the fiber optic sight

Kelly last year when we were at Mikes, was the very first time I did anything to the good old M1 I have in England. Don't you remember?? You were drinking bitters in the garage while Mike, Trapr and I did all the work!! By the by, It had a STOCK Benelli tube on it untill we got there as I had the Nordic tube with me...so YES bone stock!!....but then again I don't really expect you to remember, as you were to busy breaking the shop refridgerator!! :roflol:

you were too busy breaking the shop refridgerator!!
(adjusted for poor grammar and spelling)

Yeah but I forgave him as he was after all drinking my dads homebrew at 7.30am before breakfast !! Inside that strangely bearded Arizonian Persecutor is a true English gentleman trying to get out......

1st choice is an M1 / M2

2nd choice (and not that far behind 1st) is SX2 / FN SLP

I have both and they are great guns, try and shoot both and see which one screams BUY ME ! - good luck !

Photo added for fond memories sake :cheers: That BB gun A zoned KurtM just before I was lit up in a typical Coalition forces friendly fire style with my own airsoft M16 !!

post-2653-1215858271.jpg

Edited by mike.45

1st choice is an M1 / M2

2nd choice (and not that far behind 1st) is SX2 / FN SLP

I have both and they are great guns, try and shoot both and see which one screams BUY ME ! - good luck !

That is just how the race to empty my wallet seems to be shaping up at the moment , Mike. Thanks for the comment.

All this talk of beer makes me glad I've a Guinness or two in the fridge for post-lawn-mowing invigoration this afternoon.

As of one of my favorite folk musicians, Tim O'Brien, says, there's a loaf of bread in every pint. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me, don't buy the Remington.

I bought an 1100 Tac 4 (22'') to use for three gun. It ran fine out of the box. Added a DMW's easy loader. Shotgun still functioned fine.

Fast forward a few months. Now all of a sudden it would not cycle slugs HALF of the time; meaning on one stage it would be 100% with slugs and on the next it'd be a single shot slug gun (wouldn't even eject the empty slug). Then it started malfunctioning with birdshot. I tried different loads, cleaned the hell out of it, even opened up the gas ports. Finally got it back to cycling birdshot, but it would not lock back when empty when fired; but would lock back when empty when the bolt was manually pulled back.

I finally decided "ENOUGH!", sold it, and bought a Benelli M2. I would've saved a lot of money had I just bought the Benelli first.

Well I didn't, and I'm glad. It was a narrow escape. Thanks for all the advice and ideas, guys.

Just to update y'all. I picked up the M1 Super 90 Field with 24 in. vent rib barrel from my FFL this Thursday. This H&K era shotgun looked very lightly used and well cared for: at least it had two light nicks on the stock so I won't feed bad once I inevitably start to beat it up. :roflol: . As soon as I pulled it out of the box I stripped it down to check it out and give it a thorough clean and lube. Love the simple, bulletproof internals. It went back together with the addition of a Nordic +5 and a Limbsaver Speed Mount pad (#10400).

Out to the range and it ran flawlessly with my chosen loads, Remington Heavy Dove 7 1/2s and Remington Reduced Recoil slugs. Due to some new rule changes at the sheriff's range (new sheriff, new rules :angry2:), I could only run it at 25 yards on the shared rifle range rather than have the easy setup of multiple targets on the pistol area the way we used to. No more popper arrays to play with, either :angry: :angry: . But offhand from the first rounds I was able to group slugs much tighter than my old 870. I could get the gun to choke with Remington light target loads, but I expected that, and gave me practice in malfunction drills with the foreign (to me) carrier and bolt release controls. Love dumping nine rounds without pumping the forend...next time I'll remember some tape for my newly-christened Benelli thumb.

Sweet handling and light. A little odd getting used to sighting slugs with a midbead and front optic. It has the A stock drop plate and I'm thinking it might sight a little better for me with the C...I'm going to compare it with the mount on my 870 this afternoon: that gun's dimensions have always worked well for me.

So I've finally tasted the kooaid...er, Chianti :cheers: . Thanks to a broken tactical handle on the 1100 I originally ordered, I got the chance to change my mind and I absolutely LOVE this M1.

Edited by BayouSlide

I could get the gun to choke with Remington light target loads, but I expected that....

It has the A stock drop plate and I'm thinking it might sight a little better for me with the C.

Final report: I pulled the stock and replaced the A stock drop plate with the C drop plate. While at it, I pulled the recoil spring and degunked it and the recoil spring tube. Lightly lubed both with Slip2000 EGW. Runs the light Remington target loads without a hitch now, and with the C plate I no longer have to drop my head down to the stock for a good mount. Rather than adding a velcro side saddle, I bought a 9 round Mark Otto armband and it works great. I'm GTG. Can't wait for the next 3-gun match.

A final thank you to all and hope future perusers of this topic get some good ideas if they find themselves in a similar quandary.

:cheers:

Curtis

• 3 months later...

I bought an 1100 Tac 4 (22'') to use for three gun. It ran fine out of the box. Added a DMW's easy loader. Shotgun still functioned fine.

Fast forward a few months. Now all of a sudden it would not cycle slugs HALF of the time; meaning on one stage it would be 100% with slugs and on the next it'd be a single shot slug gun (wouldn't even eject the empty slug). Then it started malfunctioning with birdshot. I tried different loads, cleaned the hell out of it, even opened up the gas ports. Finally got it back to cycling birdshot, but it would not lock back when empty when fired; but would lock back when empty when the bolt was manually pulled back.

I finally decided "ENOUGH!", sold it, and bought a Benelli M2. I would've saved a lot of money had I just bought the Benelli first.

Why the heck would the 1100 do that? Was something broken that needed replacing? Are they that bad?

No, they aren't that bad. I don't care what the spaghetti flavored koolaid drinkers say. Sounds like his needed the O ring replaced, or at most a new piston assembly. A friend of mine replaced his piston backwards after cleaning. Now that was a disaster!

I have noticed that when using cheap slugs (Wolf) I occassionally get the jams he got. Actually it only happened once, with an 11/87, at Ironman in '07. In the middle of a string of slugs, it just became a manually operated shotgun. I'd have to rack the bolt after every shot. What I think happend is lead from slugs shaved off and plugged the gas ports. It lasted for 2 or 3 rounds, but cleared up when I went to birdshot.

There are plenty of us that run them and we do just fine. The old CM is now the 1100 Tac 4 for the most part. Biggest thing is get some of Eric Wesselman's o rings, run it wet, and keep it clean. An easy loader will help and I don't think the new ones come with a fiber optic front so that would be a nice upgrade, not to expensive either.

I ask because I have an 1100CM that I have rarely even fired. I'm thinking I may want to dust it off and get into 3-gun, but if the consensus among heavy users is that the 1100CM or Tac4 isn't a great or highly reliable gun, I would want to know that.

IMO, for a casual shooter there is probably and will probably be no probs. Mine hardly ever hiccuped when I had it, and Ii would definately fall into the casual shooter category. If you've got it, run it. If for some reason you should have a problem, then and only then would I look into replacing it.

• 2 months later...
I ask because I have an 1100CM that I have rarely even fired. I'm thinking I may want to dust it off and get into 3-gun, but if the consensus among heavy users is that the 1100CM or Tac4 isn't a great or highly reliable gun, I would want to know that.

I'm running gose's old 1100 Tactical and it works perfectly. It's a little heavy for weak-hand reloads but I really just need to practice a lot more :unsure:

I don't know what it is with people on this board's aversion to cleaning their weapons. I clean my 1100 after every match and keep it nice and wet (I already have all the stuff out for cleaning my pistol and AR). It has never jammed on me with Wal-Mart bulk birdshot loads (7 1/2, 1 1/8 3dr) and Federal low-recoil slugs.

Just treat it like your AR (keep it clean and wet) and it'll run just fine.