Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Book Recommendation

Husker95

I am a pretty novice competitive shooter looking for a good book to give me some practice drills. I primarily shoot local, low-key steel matches (both rimfire and center) and an occasional ICORE or steel match. I shoot a 1911, S&W 625 and a Ruger 22 - all limited (no dots). Can you guys recommend one of the practice books here (Steve Anderson's, Saul Kirsch's, or maybe BENOS) to help me figure out some drills? I especially want some good dry fire drills that dont require a lot of props. I wanted to make sure i got a book appropriate for my skill level that wasnt focused totally on Open Class guns. Thanks!!

Husker95

All of them you can find

I especially want some good dry fire drills that dont require a lot of props. I wanted to make sure i got a book appropriate for my skill level that wasnt focused totally on Open Class guns.

No such thing as a drill that's focused on Open guns.

All of them you can find
I especially want some good dry fire drills that dont require a lot of props. I wanted to make sure i got a book appropriate for my skill level that wasnt focused totally on Open Class guns.

I understand there's no Open gun exclusive drills; but right now i need the instruction that speaks more to the FS/RS than a dot. If that's not an issue, please recommend one that is just more appropriate to general skill level of a beginner. Thanks.

Read Brians. Get Sa's book for the dryfire drills and With Winning in mind to keep your head in the right place. They get all of the others because you can never have too many books.

Burketts DVD's are good too

Edited by AWLAZS

I understand there's no Open gun exclusive drills; but right now i need the instruction that speaks more to the FS/RS than a dot. If that's not an issue, please recommend one that is just more appropriate to general skill level of a beginner. Thanks.

Not an issue. Like I said, I recommend reading every bit of information you can on the subject. "Be a sponge" so-to-speak.

• 3 weeks later...
Read Brians. Get Sa's book for the dryfire drills and With Winning in mind to keep your head in the right place. They get all of the others because you can never have too many books.

Burketts DVD's are good too

+1 to that. I'm often asked "what book should I get"? I really can't answer, because all the books I sell cover completely different topics!

be

+1 to that. I'm often asked "what book should I get"? I really can't answer, because all the books I sell cover completely different topics!

be

Yeah...I think Brian should start allowing direct deposit...

Leam

• 1 month later...

Your requirements (drills, primarily dryfire, few props) is a PERFECT description of SA's Refinement and Repetition. This is perhaps my favorite book.

The only fixed props I use for them is a set of 50% targets I cut out of a sheet of cardboard, and 6 paper plates stapled to the the wall to simulate a plate rack. Skip making yourself some PVC boxes, and just lay strips of masking tape down on the floor of your garage, or on carpet.

But I own every book mentioned in the this thread. And trust me, you need to read them all. If you don't have BE's book, do yourself a favor and buy both of those at the same time to save on shipping. You'll get one of the best books on technique/mindset there is, and the best book on dryfire, at the same time.

Do Steve's drills with a shot-timer just how he shows for a week, then go shoot. You WILL notice a dramatic improvement.

Personally, I then modified his amount of time spent on each drill to work intensively where I am weakest. Double those drills, or add a couple reps of each to EVERY night. Basically, find the drill you're really not looking forward to (everyone loves Burkett reloads, but a particular weak-hand-drill may not be as enthralling)... and drill the hell out of that one. Practice the ones you hate, because we all tend to hate doing things we suck at. ;)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Plus 1 on you can not read to many books and be a large spounge. And when you start each book have an open mind even if you disagree with something you are reading. It may make sense later on. I travel a lot and find myself re reading BE's book every couple of months and seem to highlight new passages each time. Highly recommended.

Also, seek out good shooters in your area and ask questions and seek their assistance in every aspect of the sport.

Books will give us the information we seek, only applying those skills correctly will we improve.

Plus 1 on you can not read to many books and be a large spounge. And when you start each book have an open mind even if you disagree with something you are reading. It may make sense later on. I travel a lot and find myself re reading BE's book every couple of months and seem to highlight new passages each time. Highly recommended.

Also, seek out good shooters in your area and ask questions and seek their assistance in every aspect of the sport.

Books will give us the information we seek, only applying those skills correctly will we improve.

Hello: I have all the books listed and have watched all the Burkett DVD's. The book that helped me the most is Lanny Bassham "With winning in mind". I bought it from our host Brian Enos :cheers: I have the skills down fairly well but the Mental management part is taking some time. The book has helped alot and my outlook has improved. It has amazed me on how much. Brian Enos book is great as well since it covers most aspects of the shooting sport. Another tip is to read the books or watch the DVD's more than once. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

All of them you can find

That is more about honesty with yourself WRT what you're seeing than particular drills. A dot just makes it more obvious about what's happening when you pull the trigger, transition to/from targets, etc. Translating trigger control from dryfire to livefire is something that can only be learned through doing both of them.

For drills, it's Anderson's Refinement and Repetition. For FS/RS work, it's learning trigger control through livefire and learning to translate that in dryfire.

• 2 months later...

All of them are good because they each offer a different perspective while focusing on your ultimate goal. Refinement is just good as is Brian's book. Also look at range diary section of this site as well. Lots of good info there, particularly from Ben Stoeger.

I am a pretty novice competitive shooter looking for a good book to give me some practice drills. I primarily shoot local, low-key steel matches (both rimfire and center) and an occasional ICORE or steel match. I shoot a 1911, S&W 625 and a Ruger 22 - all limited (no dots). Can you guys recommend one of the practice books here (Steve Anderson's, Saul Kirsch's, or maybe BENOS) to help me figure out some drills? I especially want some good dry fire drills that dont require a lot of props. I wanted to make sure i got a book appropriate for my skill level that wasnt focused totally on Open Class guns. Thanks!!

Husker95

BTW, I forgot to mention, NICE AVATAR! :cheers: