Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Economical 3-Gun Setup

At the risk of getting flamed by my amigos, I would highly recommend that newbie 3 gunners invest in an optic unless they have familiarity with iron sights from highpower or smallbore. Few things are more painful to watch than newbies struggling with irons.

For the newbie 3 gunner, I'd recommend

1) A full sized AR with a lower cost variable optic, 5 30 rds mags and a decent mag pouch. The AR should come from a manufacturer who supports the sport: DPMS, DSA, Sabre Def., CavArms, POF-USA etc. You can worry about triggers, comps and all that other crap later. The most important thing is to have a good zero!

2) Plus 1 on 00bullitt's advice on the FN SLP shotgun. You're ready to go out of the box with a highly competitive shotgun

3) A high cap 9mm such as an XD Tactical or CZ SPO1 or long slide Glock w/ at least 3 magazines.

Dry fire; practice rifle positions especially prone, reverse kneeling, and standing; practice shotgun reloads; and get a good zero on that rifle.

This post says it all. Ought to be posted (sticky) somewhere. Want new guys to come play......print this out and hand it to them.

I know Kelly assumed one would know he is talking about a flat top AR and that would be the only thing I would insert into his masterful guidance.

The only reason I would not recommend an 1100 (owned and run a bunch) is to reduce a new shooters frustration level with the mystery malfunctions that

plague some copies. The SX2 is a safer bet.

Three gun is tough enough with working equipment.

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I know Kelly assumed one would know he is talking about a flat top AR and that would be the only thing I would insert into his masterful guidance.

Patrick

+1 on the flattop. Don't mount your optic on the carrying handle.

• 2 weeks later...

JPT, if you do get a carry handle AR now big deal shoot it for a while then buy a flat top upper and just have a gun smith switch out your carry handle upper and your flat top or you could buy the tools and do it yourself. http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?m...;products_id=97 just one example you can find them for much less but I like Mega products.

Buy the basic system then upgrade over time learn to work on it yourself that is what I did.

Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are truely on a budget, spending all of your $ on equipment up front and having no money for ammo, travel, entry fees, truley sucks. All dressed up and no where to go.

If I was on a budget (oh wait, I am), and wanted to see what its all about, and wanted to be semi-competitive locally (ie not embaress myself to much) I'd start with:

DPMS 20" A3 Rifle, with detachable Irons. Add a Miculek comp, JP trigger, and some mags. Used rifle plus the extras about $800

(Later on for Tactical, add a Weaver, old Simmons ProDiamond, or Millett DMS-1 and have an optic for about $200 or so)

Mossberg 930 SPX - about a $500 auto shotgun, and they work well. It only holds 7 in the tube, but for $40 later on you can add an 8 round tube. Stick on a velcro side saddle from 3-gun gear. $500 to $600 depending......

Used Glock 35 with sights, grip, and cheap trigger job. $600

All three guns for under $2k, and they will work. Spend the rest on ammo.

(I will add that I do currently have the above set up. But I am a very CASUAL 3-Gunner..... but it all works just fine for me. In the past I have had a tricked out Benelli, JP rifle, and SV Limited gun - total investment about $5k plus..... but I just don't shoot 3-Gun enough to justify all that stuff, in my mind. So I "downgraded"... other than the cool factor, I really don't miss the stuff.....)

Edited by sfinney

• 2 weeks later...
a pump would be cheapest but a distinct disadvantage on speed.

I would like to object to this sentiment expressed several times on this thread. People say that you can not be competitive with a pump. Competitive on what level? From what I experienced 3-gun matches do not use classifications. Being a mid C shooter, I can not beat GM/M class shooters in three gun no matter what gear I get. However shooting against similarly skilled shooters I will put up my 590A1 against any semi shotgun that is legal in limited or tactical divisions.

Slav

a pump would be cheapest but a distinct disadvantage on speed.

I would like to object to this sentiment expressed several times on this thread. People say that you can not be competitive with a pump. Competitive on what level? From what I experienced 3-gun matches do not use classifications. Being a mid C shooter, I can not beat GM/M class shooters in three gun no matter what gear I get. However shooting against similarly skilled shooters I will put up my 590A1 against any semi shotgun that is legal in limited or tactical divisions.

Slav

+1 The shotgun portion of most 3-gun matches are about reloading speed, not shooting speed. Get a pump gun and learn to reload fast and you can be very competitive.

Doug

I agree with the most important part of shotgunning being the reloads, but if you go and BUY a pump, it won't be long before you are looking for an auto loader. Save the money and buy the auto loader to start with. The other option is to buy the pump, just to have more guns in the locker and there is nothing wrong with that, but if you are on a budget, buy once...

I agree with the most important part of shotgunning being the reloads, but if you go and BUY a pump, it won't be long before you are looking for an auto loader.

I've been shooting my pump for a little over two years. I do not feel that it is holding me back. In fact shotgun is my strongest leg of the 3-gun. I am now keeping an eye out for a good deal on a semi. But I am in no rush. My pump will easily hold me over for another season and maybe two before it starts holding me back. I think you can go pretty far in 3-gun before "needing" to upgrade to a an autoloader.

I still recommend buying an FN SLP 1. I understand that many are satisfied running a pump. I've got no problem with that. However pump shotguns are at a disadvantage compared to autos. Shooter Steve is right, you will soon start looking for an auto if you really want to win.

If you look around, there are deals to be had on semi-auto shotguns. I picked up my Remmy 1100 for $300 off the used rack at a Cabelas. They were asking $325 I think and I offered the $300. Just added a Choate tube and an EZ loader and I was in the game for a little over $400 invested. Look around for used when bird hunting seasons start and people are trading in older guns. There can be some cheap workable solutions out there.

If you are going to BUY....... buy a FN SLP 1.

If you own a pump run it see where it takes you.

Patrick

FWIW, I elected to get an new FN SLP for 650 bucks off gunbroker. And I got an RRA 20" flattop Coyote. More than I wanted to spend. But I like to buy new. I am going to try my first 3-gun match in October. Thanks.