Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Economical 3-Gun Setup

I'd say a decent 20" ar like a stag, or a dpms, and a nice cheap 870 shotgun with an extention to get you 8 round capacity. A pump won't be the fastest, but it will be less expensive to start with, get a nylon side saddle and maybe a forearm carrier or a shell tray or two. Maybe throw a comp on the rifle too, get a couple of Pmags, rock the pockets for extra mags. BUT I'm far from an expert ;)

John,

what if anything do you already own?

I have a handgun. I am shooting pistol matches right now. I am thinking that i might try 3-gun next year a couple times. I guess I am looking for the equivalent of a Glock 17 or XD-9 - where you can be perfectly competent and get away with not spending the $$$ on unneeded bling. I don't have a dollar figure in mind. But if a $500 shotgun and an 800 dollar rifle gets you in the game, then I'm happy.

It depends on what kind of 3gun/Multigun you want to try. If just small local stuff a Remington 870 would work well as would a iron sighted M4 style rifle (you could pick up either used in those price ranges). Later you could add an optic to the rifle.

The $$$$ amounts you listed will get you started in 3 gun, the easiest way to start would be iron sight division, an xd9 or glock, and a 800.00 AR would do nicely to start, the question would be a shotgun. a pump would be cheapest but a distinct disadvantage on speed. if you look around you could probably find an auto to fit your needs for a fair price.

you DO NOT need an optic on your rifle to compete in 3gun.

trapr

trapr

Amen!

Save yourself some major cash (no scope) and come play with THE riflemen of 3 gun.

OK so I am a little biased.

A pump for now and if you learn to reload as fast as the best in the field you will place ahead of many (most) of

the self-loaders.

Just come play!!!

Patrick

John,

what if anything do you already own?

I have a handgun. I am shooting pistol matches right now. I am thinking that i might try 3-gun next year a couple times. I guess I am looking for the equivalent of a Glock 17 or XD-9 - where you can be perfectly competent and get away with not spending the $$$ on unneeded bling. I don't have a dollar figure in mind. But if a $500 shotgun and an 800 dollar rifle gets you in the game, then I'm happy.

$500 for a shot gun could get you into a used remmy 1100 or 1187

Pat, ..............."a little biased"

Thats like saying Mr. Miller and I are a little soft spoken!!!!! or Too Serious!!!!!! or have fun at matches!!!!!!!!or???????????

Trapr

BTW, there is a very useable AR on the classifieds right now, for under 800.00

Edited by bigbrowndog

You may want to see if you can borrow a couple of different rifles to see if YOU need optics. While some people do not need them you may be one of those who simply cannot see the targets at distance and thus do need an optic. I do need an optic or I cannot see some targets especially those in a shaded area or at 300+ yards.

-ld

You may want to see if you can borrow a couple of different rifles to see if YOU need optics. While some people do not need them you may be one of those who simply cannot see the targets at distance and thus do need an optic. I do need an optic or I cannot see some targets especially those in a shaded area or at 300+ yards.

-ld

Thanks for all the info. Borrowing gear is not feasible for me right now as i know very few people who shoot. But, you guys have given me a good start in what to look for. If i get serious about actually buying anything, you can bet that I'll be bugging you again.

John

I bet you would be surprised. Even in Madison there are probably LOTS of shooters. They may not talk about it as openly as where I live but they are still there.

whatever you decide to go with, good luck and stay safe.

Here is my advice, get used guns, many people buy ARs and never shoot them, if you look in your local Trading Post you might find folks want to unload Pardon the Pun un-need guns. I know people that have ARs and have never once put a round down range, I can't figure it myself but a lot of people buy guns on a whim then never get the time or have the cash to shoot them. With money getting tight now it might be a good time to look around your area and see if you can make a deal. That is how I bought my first AR and I still have it today a bit upgraded. Lightly used 870 should be pretty easy to come by because there are so many out there.

Good Luck

I'll add my warnings. Be very very careful getting into this sport. It is far from economical :rolleyes: . Due to the fact this is some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on......it somehow continues to suck money out of your wallet even when its empty. The gear and guns procurement process is ever evolving it seems until you settle on what works for you. But I promise.......you will get hooked so be very very careful. first it starts off going to a local match.......then a few more. Then you will go to a large match we'll say like Fort Benning. And then the following year you find yourself travelling the country with your 4 new shooting buddies spending thousands going to more bigger matches. Oh and by the way.......check out the adventure travel section at CPWSA. Chris is also a site sponsor who sells gear and occasionally has good prices on used and consignment guns.

My advice is to watch the classifieds and buy used whenever possible. I'd definitely try to get an autoloading shotgun. I tell anyone getting into the sport to look into the FN SLP MkII. It comes out of the box ready to go and runs great for under $800 new. I've seen used ones for $500. Keep an eye out for a good Sabre Defence 16 or 18" rifle that someone has won and put up for sale here and start out shooting iron sighted. I've seen them go for $700-850 and that is a great rifle at a great price. You can add an optic later if you feel the need.

And I do believe if you just showed up at a local 3 gun match......if shooters were anything like they are here in Georgia whether you know them or not......they'd all be willing to let you borrow/try their gear for the first time. Just squad up and shoot with them. Just bring ammo. You will learn tons that first time. There have been numerous times that we have had newbies squad up with us at matches and walk away with the biggest of smiles on their faces.

It will be good to borrow and try gear since there are several methods for carrying shotgun shells due to the loading method you choose works best for you. The trend is to load weak hand....but it is also the most difficult to master. All the incidentals needed can get expensive as well.

Just be prepared to have lots of fun :cheers:

3gun matches are a very part time thing for me --- I might shoot four or five a year, and at least a couple of those are typically shotgun or rifle only matches. I barely practice for these --- maybe once a year to make sure that my rifle zeros are still set, and to reaffirm how point of aim affects point of impact. That said --- you can buy performance improvements to make up for lack of practice, at least somewhat.

I started with an iron-sighted Bushmaster with Iron sights and and 870. I wouldn't recommend those for anyone.....

An autoloading shotgun requires much less physical energy to run --- that alone makes a huge difference on long shotgun stages. Being able to shoot a little faster --- and most folks who don't practice a lot can probably shoot an auto faster than a pump --- also makes a difference. I like the 1100, and they seem to be available all over the place relatively cheap. Add an EZ loader, sidesaddle, long tube, maybe sights, and call it a day.

Rifle -- I prefer lighter and I require optics for shots beyond 50 yards. Others do very well with irons --- but are often better off with 20" barrels with the front sight mounted as close to the muzzle as possible. I can't say enough good things about a JP upper --- but it's almost certainly out of your budget range.....

I would add that the AR you get should ba flattop (unless someone said that), to allow the addition of a scope later, if that's the way you want to go. A great starter scope is the Weaver 1-3, BTW.

At the risk of getting flamed by my amigos, I would highly recommend that newbie 3 gunners invest in an optic unless they have familiarity with iron sights from highpower or smallbore. Few things are more painful to watch than newbies struggling with irons.

For the newbie 3 gunner, I'd recommend

1) A full sized AR with a lower cost variable optic, 5 30 rds mags and a decent mag pouch. The AR should come from a manufacturer who supports the sport: DPMS, DSA, Sabre Def., CavArms, POF-USA etc. You can worry about triggers, comps and all that other crap later. The most important thing is to have a good zero!

2) Plus 1 on 00bullitt's advice on the FN SLP shotgun. You're ready to go out of the box with a highly competitive shotgun

3) A high cap 9mm such as an XD Tactical or CZ SPO1 or long slide Glock w/ at least 3 magazines.

Dry fire; practice rifle positions especially prone, reverse kneeling, and standing; practice shotgun reloads; and get a good zero on that rifle.

trapr

Amen!

Save yourself some major cash (no scope) and come play with THE riflemen of 3 gun.

OK so I am a little biased.

A pump for now and if you learn to reload as fast as the best in the field you will place ahead of many (most) of

the self-loaders.

Just come play!!!

Patrick

YEAH FOR IRONS!!!!!!!!! "THE riflemen of 3 gun" I like the sound of that :) But I'm a little biased as well hehehehe

I would add that the AR you get should ba flattop (unless someone said that), to allow the addition of a scope later, if that's the way you want to go. A great starter scope is the Weaver 1-3, BTW.

I've been looking at the flat-tops, but the A1/A2 seems more prevalent.

Can't you put a scope on top of the carry handle somehow????

I've been looking at the flat-tops, but the A1/A2 seems more prevalent.

Can't you put a scope on top of the carry handle somehow????

You can do that but the offset from the barrel is too much and you will have a hard time getting a good cheek weld.

-ld

Alright Patrick. I'm gearing up to play your little game. ;) Just picked up a Mossberg 500 today (how could I pass up $140). I have the LR-308 and a single stack 1911. Just need some more mags for the rifle.

Rich

3gun matches are a very part time thing for me --- I might shoot four or five a year, and at least a couple of those are typically shotgun or rifle only matches. I barely practice for these --- maybe once a year to make sure that my rifle zeros are still set, and to reaffirm how point of aim affects point of impact. That said --- you can buy performance improvements to make up for lack of practice, at least somewhat.

I started with an iron-sighted Bushmaster with Iron sights and and 870. I wouldn't recommend those for anyone.....

An autoloading shotgun requires much less physical energy to run --- that alone makes a huge difference on long shotgun stages. Being able to shoot a little faster --- and most folks who don't practice a lot can probably shoot an auto faster than a pump --- also makes a difference. I like the 1100, and they seem to be available all over the place relatively cheap. Add an EZ loader, sidesaddle, long tube, maybe sights, and call it a day.

Rifle -- I prefer lighter and I require optics for shots beyond 50 yards. Others do very well with irons --- but are often better off with 20" barrels with the front sight mounted as close to the muzzle as possible. I can't say enough good things about a JP upper --- but it's almost certainly out of your budget range.....

So, wise ones, is this a good deal? (I can get the FN new for about 100 dollars more):

Remington 1100 Competition Master - this gun only has about 100 rounds thru it. Comes with 8 round and 10 round mag tube, EGW mount and Doctor sight. Here on consignment. Price is $799.

Pics here (scroll down): http://www.cpwsa.com/more_guns.htm

It appears to be a decent price --- but it will put you in open as it sits. If you remove the dot, and put on the shorter tube then you'd be set for Limited or Tactical. I'm thinking you'd still want to add an EZLoader, and if you're gonna play in open, a bracket for speedloader tubes.....

Chris is a very good guy --- call him and discuss the gun and what you want to use it for. He'll steer you in the right direction....