Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite powder for loading the 9mm?

Waldog

Well I'll add yet another one. I use 4.5gr 231 with a 124gr Berrys bullet. Seems like a nice managable load to me- especially compared to 6.0gr of Power Pistol! I've found about 4.0gr of Titegroup to be very similar to my loads of 231.

Universal Clays: Is super clean, meters well, and shoots soft.

Bullseye: Meter well, shoots soft, a little dirtier

Win 231: Dirty, meters well, shoots soft

IMR 7562 Very very dirty, enough said

Not trying to start an argument but I always hear how great Tite Group is. I don't understand it is very snappy and leaves a wax like residue in my guns. I have tried 147, 124, & 115 with Tite Group and even down loaded it is snappy. To me the only thing Tite Group is for is to make a 9mm recoil like a .40.

Universal Clays works very well for me and meets and exceeds all my expectations.

Good luck and enjoy the process finding the right powder for yourself.

I use Alliant Promo for 2 reasons... it is bulky and fills the case nicely, meters ok, and at $70 +/- for 8 lbs, it's super inexpensive. A tad on the dirty side, but I clean my pistols after every range session, so that point is moot.

I have used Titegroup, Ramshot Zip, and Bullseye, but noticed nothing significant enough to cause me to use the more expensive powders.

I used up some 320 and liked it okay (same for 40 & 45). I've played with TG (snappy & residue, potential DOUBLE CHARGE volumes!), Bullseye (good), Amer Select (okay), HS6 (soot all over me, gun, other shooters), & Univ (also, good). I don't clean my gun often so i want cleaner burning; i hate soot/flake on me & my equipment; look for something readily available (not VV, though it is nice); also looking for at least 70% fill (TG does not); and prefer not to use over 6.0 grains (for most rounds/pound/$). Also looking for something versatile for the PF and about 99% burn (no/low flash). I may never know the difference between Univ & Bullseye. American Select is nice, but flat flake can be tough on consistancy/accuracy. At the end of the day, there is likely NO perfect powder or 6 perfect powders for every possible situation. Read this site to find what others think of other powders. Load lots & shoot often!

I've shot IMR 700X with 115fmj and found it to be softer than remington green box and winchester white box ammo, all same pf. I think I was using 4.3grs with wsp primers. In my EAA stock, it is very soft. I've also been playing around with greendot but it seems a bit dirty.

I must be clueless. I think they all are dirty after 100-200 rounds. I'd really like something that truly was clean but I can't tell the difference between any.

You're right. They all seem to be dirty at times. Greendot does leave some powder flakes in the action of my 9mm. I used Gdot in my 20ga for years and after a few hundred rounds I'd have powder flakes all over my face and clothes. The only reason I've been shooting it in the 9mm is that I have 10lbs left over from my skeet days. Vhita V. powders seem to be the cleanest most soot-free powders I've ever shot in my pistols.

New to reloading, and only reloaded 115gn so far. but reloaded ~800 of that.

I started with power pistol. I tried bullseye. And I just loaded up some with unique to chrono.

Power Pistol seems to work OK for me. It's clean. It seems accurate from my testing.

Bullseye seems OK. I think I like the recoil of the power pistol more, more like factory ammo I think. Maybe not as accurate?

Unique I'm so far unhappy with. It doesn't seem to meter in my 550B worth a darn. I'm not even sure I want to fire the top end of the series I loaded.

I've also got some clays and American select from the shotshell reloading. I plan to try those as well.

I use Unique and Bullseye in several weights of 9mm, but only because I have tons of it left over from many years ago. I have others to try but have not done it yet. I also use these two powders for .38's. Someday it will be all gone! My guess be the price has changed a bit since I last bought Unique and BE! So I will quit complainin about the old powder in stock right now!!!

Most of my 9mm are now 115 or 124 gr. due to the cost of lead!

I also stick with 115 and 124 HP. I like Tite Group for most of my loads. THe only problem I have is that it really heats the gun up in the summer. Switching back to AA#2 and Clay's. Both meter well in the Dillon 550. Shooting some VV 320 and 340 but for the price I save that for match days.