Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Hearbreak of What Might Have Been

38superman

All photographers know that in every batch of pictures some will be crap, others ordinary, and a precious few will make it all worthwhile.

Like shooting, we learn the tricks and nuances as we go and the more you do it the better you get.

I have been taking photos of IPSC competition for a while now and spend many hours reviewing and processing the pics.

One thing that I have a lot of trouble dealing with are those shots that came oh so close to being spectacular but were flawed in some way that couldn't be fixed.

There are some things even Photoshop can't correct.

There is nothing I hate more than the one that got away.

Here is a prime example.

Shallow depth of field / focusing error caused the shooter to be in soft focus.

Some times getting a picture right is tougher than balancing speed and accuracy while running a stage.

Oh well,.... at least the comp looks good. :angry2:

post-6467-1214762895.jpg

Edited by 38superman

All photographers know that in every batch of pictures some will be crap, others ordinary, and a precious few will make it all worthwhile.

Like shooting, we learn the tricks and nuances as we go and the more you do it the better you get.

I have been taking photos of IPSC competition for a while now and spend many hours reviewing and processing the pics.

One thing that I have a lot of trouble dealing with are those shots that came oh so close to being spectacular but were flawed in some way that couldn't be fixed.

There are some things even Photoshop can't correct.

There is nothing I hate more than the one that got away.

Here is a prime example.

Shallow depth of field / focusing error caused the shooter to be in soft focus.

Some times getting a picture right is tougher than balancing speed and accuracy while running a stage.

Oh well,.... at least the comp looks good. :angry2:

post-6467-1214762895.jpg

It's ART... Repeat after me, "In this piece I wanted to soften the human element, draw the viewers attention gradually from the shooter's face which will be automatically the first thing which catches the attention, to the business end of the rifle which is in sharper focus thereby illuminating the importance of a properly made compensator. The irony of a softer human even requiring a compensated compensator should be obvious."

:cheers:

Is that a puff of smoke at the ejection port, or the previous shot brass? Or just a glint of light through the trees?

Could be smoke from the ejection port. I see that in some of my high-speed video & photos if you catch the ignition right.

Even for people who get paid to make sports photographs --- that's part of the frustrating challenge that keeps us coming back for more....

To put that in perspective --- after a 14 year career, I'd estimate that for every photo I still like, I probably shot somewhere approaching 10,000 images --- many of which actually ran in the paper or were filed in the archives. If it was truly easy to get great images, everybody'd be doing it and there'd be no value to the images.....

I guess that's part of the appeal.

If you're shooting pics in a studio, you can tinker with it until you get what you want.

In live action there's no second chances.

You either get what you want on the first try or it's gone forever.

Tls

That's it --- during any given athletic contest, there were a couple, occasionally as many as four, sometimes only a single opportunity to make the image that would that would transport the viewer to the event, ringside, courtside, in the stands, at the track.....

....to know that you nailed one of those is extremely gratifying, like getting a great gift, not really knowing when that next holiday is gonna show up. Could be tomorrow, could be a year from now....

Nice shots, guys.

I wish I could've captured some of the outrageous muzzle flashes I've had the pleasure of seeing at our local indoor range.

Last year and the year before I did a lot of action stuff for a local defense academy north of here. Once I got the Canon digital SLR things got a lot easier. One image is of a student disarming the perp' with his left hand and simultaneously drawing his sidearm with his right. It happened in a split second. I couldn't have captured that one with my previous cam (it happens to be a very close crop of a larger image--hence the low res).

Capturing the hand-to-hand combat moments were tricky, too... but fun. :D

post-1852-1214795991.jpg

post-1852-1214796119.jpg