Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

92 Elite and Elite II

HSMITH

But my search didn't turn up a lot of technical info. These seem to have a smaller grip, and IIRC one or both has an interchangeable backstrap with a more 1911ish grip angle. Set me straight, what is the difference between these two guns and a 92FS? What is the going price for them? I am going to shoot a little more Production and might as well get a couple more guns to do it....

Neither one has an interchangeable backstrap.

The IA has a straight backstrap; it never felt very 1911-ish to me, but it DID feel that it made the grip MUCH smaller. The II had a regular, 92-style backstrap.

The Elite's have a noticeably heavier slide, a ever so slightly shorter barrel, and dovetailed sights. The regular 92 has a front sight that is part of the slide, and can't be swapped out.

The only issue I ever had was that on "unloaded gun" starts I would, on occasion, depress the safety when loading the gun. Not the sort of thing that helps your times!

That's the only reason I switched to the Elite was to get a decocker only model, not a decocker/safety.

If I were just trying out a Beretta, I'd check out CDNN for LE turn in guns; they'll be very low miles, and real cheap to boot.

FY42385

Thanks konkapot.

I have a PT99 that I like and shoot decently, problem with it is that it isn't a decocker and when I lower the hammer fully to comply with the rules the trigger reach is really long for my small hands. The grip is pretty big too. Smaller grip and dovetailed sights sounds like what I want.

I shoot a Vertec 92G in SSP and production. For me it is the only Beretta I'd buy. That isn't a knock on the other Beretta's but the straight backstrap, the ability to replace the front and rear sights and the beveled magwell makes it a fit for me and what I want in a "game" gun.

I don't see what the XD has to do with Beretta's. I own one and while it is certainly a good gun but that isn't what the poster asked about.

When you said PT 99 did you mean the Taurus model 92 clone ? I was looking at some today as a general plinker informal IDPA/TSA type match gun. The wife really liked the grip of the M-9's and she sold the one she had during hard times. So was thinking of getting her one. One thing I noticed was the Taurus had a 1911 like safety. I frequently had problems engaging the safety when racking the slide on the M9 I also didnt like that the trigger still worked the gun just didnt go bang when you did it. Are the Taurus worth getting ? will alot of the parts like guide rods, springs, grips, etc interchange ?

Rich, I haven't seen an XDM yet but I dumped the XD I had, it just didn't do it for me. I'll be looking for an XDM to play with, and if I got one it would come see you for sure.

Rubberneck, that is what I was looking for, the model with the straight backstrap. Thanks! I'll try to find one to handle.

Joe, I do mean the Taurus version. Great gun, runs and runs, reasonably accurate, and I shoot it decently. I have no idea what interchanges, but I have beaten this Taurus unmercifully and nothing has gone wrong.

Thanks all for the help. I shot an Elite IIA today, very nice gun. However, (isn't there always a however?) the grip was still big for me and the decock put the hammer ALL the way down so the reach is still long. For some reason I was thinking they decocked to a half cock position, and that is what I need/want.

It is starting to look like I will be back around to the CZ-85 BD for all of the 'features' I want.

Beretta has a "short" trigger available. It was initially released on the Vertec series guns, specifically for smaller hands. This will lesson the initial reach of the first shot DA.

The Beretta with the interchangeable backstrap is the newer 90-two polymer series.

I have a Beretta Elite. I'm surprised they are not more popular despite the number of all the small parts compared to a Glock as the recoil is so light and there is so little lift of the front sight on recoil. Maybe I should shoot mine more.

I get funny looks when I shoot my Beretta.

I have had a shooter or two ask why I am shooting a gun that everyone who has spent time in the military knows is crap. Oh well. I bought one just because I didn't want to be another Glock shooter in production. I don't mean that to disparage Glock shooters but sometimes taking the road less traveled is a reward in and of itself.

I get funny looks when I shoot my Beretta.

I have had a shooter or two ask why I am shooting a gun that everyone who has spent time in the military knows is crap. Oh well. I bought one just because I didn't want to be another Glock shooter in production. I don't mean that to disparage Glock shooters but sometimes taking the road less traveled is a reward in and of itself.

The fact that they can't hit anything =/= it's a piece of crap. FWIW, "everyone who has spent time in the military" said the same thing about the 1911, for the same reason.

My 92 Inox Brigadier was my reward to myself for coming back from deployment with the same number of holes I went with.