Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for the perfect 9mm load

I have read the many posts on 9mm reloading but can't find exactly what I need - I am looking for a 9mm load for both IDPA and IPSC so it must make the 125 PF.

I have a pile of 124 gn cast lead bullets I want to use so I need a soft recoiling clean load for those. The gun is a M&P9 Pro with the 5 inch barrel.

Thanks

I have read the many posts on 9mm reloading but can't find exactly what I need - I am looking for a 9mm load for both IDPA and IPSC so it must make the 125 PF.

I have a pile of 124 gn cast lead bullets I want to use so I need a soft recoiling clean load for those. The gun is a M&P9 Pro with the 5 inch barrel.

Thanks

Welcome to the BE Forum!

What kinds of powder do you have on hand? Knowing this would help us offer suggestions.

I'm using 4.4 grains of 231 under a 122 lead truncated cone (LTC) bullet, loaded to 1.05" OAL. It runs about 1120 fps from my CZ-75B, well over what you're looking for, but shoots well. If you're using the standard 125 grain RNL that everyone sells, you can seat it to about 1.15" OAL or longer over the same powder charge and come pretty close to the PF due to the increased OAL.

What kinds of powder do you have on hand? Knowing this would help us offer suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions - I have some Titegroup that i use in .45 and some #2 that I don’t really use in anything but I am happy to buy some different powder to get the right load.

4.2 Unviersal Handgun 124 cast bullet = Very Very Clean and accurate

4.4 Bullseye 124 Cast bullet = Soft shooting, accurate, a little dirty than Universal

The above are pet loads that I really like.

I have tired IMR 7562 and Win 231, however both powders were very dirty and I don't see any advantage to either one.

Titegroup seems a little snappy to me and leaves some type of wax like residue in my gun, don't care for it.

Good luck, powders seems to be like beer no one agrees on which one is the best, but in a pinch any of them will do

The above loads are for my M&P 4 inch barreal and the OAL is 1.07. That is long as I could seat the cast bullets.

i used to use VV320, but ran out and don't want to pay so much for powder. i've used TG, Univ. Clays, and Bullseye lately. I ran out of TG and have used most of my Bullseye loading for 3 gun last weekend. The UC left a tan residue on the muzzle after 200-300 rounds. For now, it seems Bullseye will be my next 8# keg. 4.4 gr under a 115 MG jhp at 1.14" make 11?? fps out of my stock G34. It will also support 40 & 45 major as well as 38 Spec, etc.

Like others said, many powders will work. Either get a handful of 'em and do good comparisons over a chrono OR get one 8#er and get busy reloading/shooting. If you shoot a CMJ/TMJ/JHP, you will see most powders are pretty clean compared to anything with exposed lead to bore or powder. Some powders to leave a flakey residue on your arms, etc. If you really want to get the bug, buy Quickload software and a chronograph (but be warned you will lose friends & family). I'm trying to consolidate to a few pistol & a few rifle. I'm burning up a handful of 'extra' powders laying around now, one pound at a time.

I use 4,7 grains og N340 behind a selfcast 124 grain RN in my 6" Pardini. Average speed is 1130 fps.

This load works wonders in my gun, but just dont do as I did the first time: I over crimmped and the bullit never touched the grooves.

This resulted in a boat load of foul language, and 10" groupings :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I will be shooting in the IPSC world shoot to be held in Bali this year. I hope to be shooting a Glock 17 in Production and have pre paid for 600 rounds of the official 9mm match ammo made by Armscor. The load data for this is :- 124 grn FMJ, 4.8grns VV n340, Magtec spp. I'm told it should make around 130 'ish' power factor, but as it is the 'official' match ammo I won't have to worry about the chrono stage !!!

Titegroup has worked well in my 9mm Production and .40 Limited loads for a while now.....

Do you find the Titegroup hotter than most powders. My brass is almost to hot to handle once I have finished a shot group.